CPAP Masks - Which is most comfortable?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sb374

CPAP Masks - Which is most comfortable?

Post by sb374 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:51 am

I am looking for some advice on which CPAP masks are most comfortable. I just started using a CPAP machine (Resmed S9) 1-1/2 weeks ago, and I am having trouble getting comfortable with the mask. The technician who set me up gave me a Swift LT nasal pillow mask. I was also given a ComfortGel Mask at the sleep study that I took. Neither one is particularly comfortable, so I keep waking up all night. Can anyone please provide me with some advice on 1) which masks people have found most comfortable and 2) any techniques on getting comfortable with one of the masks that I already have? If there already are some recent posts on this topic, please let me know and I will search for them, but I haven't had any luck so far.
Thank you!

Borgasmord

Re: CPAP Masks - Which is most comfortable?

Post by Borgasmord » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:02 am

I have a Swift LT and it was uncomfortable and leaked at night. I was using the medium-sized pillows. I switched to the large pillows and it made a world of difference! It is very comfortable and doesn't leak (much).

diboja

Post by diboja » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:45 am

I have tried a few masks and the one that was best for me is the Fisher & Paykel "Zest" nasal mask. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

Very comfortable and minimal leakage.

I had tried a nasal pillow mask but I found it very uncomfortable with those "things" sticking in my nose.....

sleepnationtv

Post by sleepnationtv » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Really there are a lot of good masks out there, sometimes seeing is a little better.

I run a weekly video blog on CPAP masks and equipment. you may find the videos helpful because we cover a lot of the different masks and give our take on them.

Here is the link: http://www.sleepnation.tv

Hope this helps,

Dane
Dane Schapper, Founder cpaplibrary.com
Check out the cpaplibrary video bloghttp://www.cpaplibrary.com

jabman

Post by jabman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Finding a mask really boils down to personal choice. You have to find one that is not only somewhat comfortable (I say somewhat because I am not sure that sleeping with a mask can be really comfortable but maby only tolarable), but also provides minamal leaks. I was lucky in that the mask given to me when I got my machine has worked wonders for me. I did try the Swift nasil pillows and they were unbearable for me. Good luck on finding a mask that works for you.

Psalm 150: 6
Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.

"If God does not exist, one will lose nothing by believing in him, while if he does exist, one will lose everything by not believing. " - Blaise Pascal.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm

The problem is, what is comfortable for ME may not be comfortable for you. Every face and situation is different.

I personally think the LT is a very comfortable mask, and one question I always have when people don't find it comfortable is whether it was fit correctly. The sad truth is that most DME's don't have a clue what they are doing when they fit these masks. DME's routinely (and even one ResMed rep!) tell patients to cram the nasal pillows up into the nose--which is not correct at all and very uncomfortale. DME's may tell you to put them on too tightly, and fail to show you that because of the little cogwheels on the side, the angle of the pillows is infinitely adjustable for comfort. AND, they often tell you to use a pillow size that is incorrect, leading to leak issues.

Be sure you take a look on ResMed's website for the LT mask. They have a video with fitting instructions which may help. If you search here you will find help as well. If you search for "lab rat fixes" you should be able to find a whole page of ideas to help.

Nasal masks and FF masks have their own sets of problems and aren't as adjustable and lightweight as nasal pillows, so I highly recommend that you make sure that the LT is adjusted properly before you rule it out as a comfortable mask.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:28 pm

I find the nasal pillows to be the most comfortable, hands down.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Mirage FX is the closest thing to one size fits all. And way comfortable. If you don't mouth-breathe, you might be able to stay with it.

trike-mike

Post by trike-mike » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:33 pm

diboja wrote:I have tried a few masks and the one that was best for me is the Fisher & Paykel "Zest" nasal mask. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -mask.html

Very comfortable and minimal leakage.

I had tried a nasal pillow mask but I found it very uncomfortable with those "things" sticking in my nose.....
I agree with the above statement.... when I consider the Opus 360 mask. And yet I happen to like my Swift FX nasal pillow mask rather a lot while one of the nasal masks similar to the Zest I simply cannot get to like that style at all. Where it gets weirder is that some nights, the Opus has actually felt better to me than the Swift FX. Even other nights, I do have a nasal mask that I happen to like.

From the above with two people with wildly different views on masks, I have found two things, having melted a CC buying different masks to find myself a "comfortable" one and following this forum:
  • There is no "most comfortable" mask for everyone
  • There is no "most comfortable" mask even for just me
As you can see from my subject line, I have at least one of almost every mask type except the total face (the ones go from chin to forehead and the total width of the face). A couple of months into treatment, I have a couple of masks that I gravitate toward (including one that I rather disliked in the beginning). As such, you'll could get almost as many different responses as there are posters. Even for the same mask, some will like it for utterly different reasons than another would.

This isn't to say this is a viable question spawning good and helpful conversation. Being somewhat of a newb myself I am looking forward to conversation and thoughts. Interestingly enough, a lot of what is good and what is not so good in reviews and conversations are what I found and still I found different views.

I hope your question spawns thoughts that were similar to what helped me and at least narrows the list of what might be comfortable for you. As this thread progresses if I have something about a specific mask that pops up worth tossing out whatever inane thoughts I have that might be helpful, I shall chime in.

Good luck to you as you start this therapy. I am still in the throes of coming to terms with it and massively envy those who take to it like a duck to water. But I shan't give up and hope you don't either.

sb374

Post by sb374 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Thank you for your help, everyone. And so fast! This is a terrific forum.
Unfortunately, it looks like I have a period of trial and error ahead of me. That and just plain getting accustomed to having something on my face while sleeping.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Has anyone found gel masks to be more stable with auto cpap than the multi-flange inflatable silicone masks?
I have found the gel to be heavier, and just a tad more comfy.

B_4

Post by B_4 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm

The Swift LT is finicky to get adjusted correctly. I had mine too tight and the barrell was up against my nose. I also had the top strap (with buckle) to loose and the back velcro strap too tight, to the strap from mask was too close to my ears.

I worked with my RT by emailing her photos of the mask on my head then started adjusting to her recommendations while looking in mirror.

Just an FYI of my experience. I hope you find a mask that works.

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Except for my first week with the machine, I have only ever used the Mirage Quattro full face mask and find it perfectly comfortable and pretty much leak free. Perhaps that's because I have a perfect mug that grandma's always want to pinch and causes puppies to hide in shame. You on the other hand, may not have been quite so genetically endowed and could be cursed with a chin like Leno, a mouth the size of Jagger, and a nose the size of Cyrano de Bergerac ...... but probably blessed with larger feet than I.

From the outset, I was concerned that I was a closet mouthbreather and a full face mask would be the cure for that and ideal for the frequent colds and inevitable stuffed nose that I used to get before cpap therapy. I still don't ubderstand the benefit of nasal masks if you are one of the many who have to tape their mouth closed or cinch a chin strap to prevent mouth breathing. But I do understand that many people here consider that line of doubt heresy and treasonous.

I believe that you should be aware that most mask models of any type do come in different sizes and if you find the one that fits, you will probably be happier than simply switching from one style to another. But then again if that overbite your spouse found so endearing proves to be too much for the cpap engineers, you could always default to old faithful here and reduce your leak rate to zero.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz

Physician

Post by Physician » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:23 pm

I have many masks/pillows, and none are perfect.

Few comments:

Swift LT: Hate the straps. They pull up on the malar areas creating wrinkles under the eyes.

Swift II: Nice straps. Very comfortable, but there's a tendency for the pillow barrel to rotate and thus allow leaks. Still the best of the pillows I've tried. Exhaust slightly noisier and more forceful than others.

Comfort Classic: The most comfortable mask. Thin, lightweight. Tends to allow leaks out the sides.

Activa: Second most comfortable, but the accordion-like structure makes wrinkling noises until breathing is less vigorous, and the inferior part of the mask (the horizontal portion under the nose) should be deeper so that the frame doesn't go in between the mouth lips.

Mirage Soft Gel: Good seal, but even with a proper fit, the lower horizontal gel seems to press against the upper lip and teeth. Heavier than the Comfort Classic.

ResMed Straps: Good, except the vertical straps are too long so that the top circumferential strap pops off the head often allowing a mask leak. ResMed should have made the verticals adjustable. I've used a clamp, stitching, and/or Velcro to severely shorten the verticals and the top head band no longer pops off. One would like ResMed would have modifed their straps by now so we don't have to do so.

So my first choices now: Comfort Classic and Swift II

Last choices: Swift LT, Mirage

spitintheocean

Post by spitintheocean » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:27 pm

Are you purchasing the right size headgear when you buy the mask?

I wear a small Quattro but a medium sized headgear. I believe that Resmed's headgear come in four sizes.

Life is something to do when you can't get to sleep.
Fran Lebowitz