My CPAP died - looking for replacement ASAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lyle88

My CPAP died - looking for replacement ASAP

Post by lyle88 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:53 am

No CPAP pressure last night. 30 year old healthdyne Tranquility Quest gave up the ghost. I am unemployed in MI since May,2008. Extended benefits about to expire, too young for Medicare, don't qualify for Medicaid. Current Insurance does not cover Dr visits, Rx's nor durable medical supplies. I am Diabetic, caring for wife with Alzheimer's. At least I have some food stamp assist.
I saw a summer post of someone willing to donate a CPAP. I originally was diagnosed in 1983 and paid for all and CPAP out of pocket. No record of diagnosis or settings. Co that did it went out of business and I nor my Dr have any record of it, I have acute sleep apnea, however!
I have been unable to research all of my local options, but at least my family Dr has gone out on a limb and written an Rx for me - I am going to his office to get it this morning.
I may have to rent one temporarily, but I really would like to find a way to get a permanent replacement at as low a cost as possible or a donor. I am keeping on truckin' for the long haul!

Slinky

Re: My CPAP died - looking for replacement ASAP

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:10 am

Try contacting A.W.A.K.E., a google search will bring up their contact information. They provide assistance.
Check cpapauction.com for a good buy on a new or even slightly used CPAP.
Also check talkabout.com as they have an assistance program and CPAPs available.

Good luck and God bless!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 am

Google Reggie White Foundation as well. Someone posted that recently as well.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks, Roman. I had forgotten that I'd read the Reggie White Foundation could help. Meanwhile, Lyle, check your PMs.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:18 am

Also go http://www.secondwindcpap.com to see their gently used machines. They actually have machines that may keep you going for very little money. They also work with organizations that help those without insurance or financial means so it would be worth your while to email or call them. They are super nice folks and may have other ideas to help you.

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

scbeaver

Post by scbeaver » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:16 am

Check your PM

Sleep well

Steve

davecpap

Post by davecpap » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:41 pm

Check out page 9 of the manual for your machine:

http://www.respironics.com/UserGuides/U ... yQuest.pdf

There is apparently a little inline fuse near the A/C plug on the back of the machine. Perhaps its a simple repair to get your machine going again? Radio Shack should have those little fuses. The manual says "If the CPAP unit power indicator does not light up when the unit is plugged in and turned on, the fuse may need to be replaced."

I'd also contact the American Sleep Apnea Association (http://www.sleepapnea.org/) - I recently donated an unused CPAP machine to http://www.secondwindcpap.com and they said they worked with the American Sleep Apnea Association to distribute used equipment.

Cpapprincess

Post by Cpapprincess » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Philips Respironics has a charity program that you can apply for with the assistance of a DME company