MACHINE SELECTION

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PROJMAN1

MACHINE SELECTION

Post by PROJMAN1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:13 am

PROJMAN

Gettinf my first machine! The sleep center recommended the Resmed Escape II. I was thinking the Respironics M series Pro.
Which is the better choice? Pros / cons of each?

Thanks

Pugsy

Re: MACHINE SELECTION

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 am

PROJMAN1 wrote:The sleep center recommended the Resmed Escape II. I was thinking the Respironics M series Pro.
They both will give you good therapy.

The M Series Pro is a full data capable machine meaning you could use the Encore Viewer software to see how your are doing if you want to.

The Escape will only tell you or your DME how many hours you have used the machine. That is it. If you run into trouble and wonder why, it cannot offer you anything that might explain things
The Escape is cheaper for the Sleep center to supply, so they make more money.

Now the ResMed Elite II is full data capable but the software has to be ordered from Australia. It does offer a little more data visually on the LCD screen than the M Series Pro does.

Are you planning to go down the software route??? That might impact your choice.

Whatever you do, don't get the Escape. Not because it is inferior machine but because if you ever want to check your data, you won't be able to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

PROJMAN1

Post by PROJMAN1 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 am

Pugsy, thanks for the reply.
Not yet sure if I will need the data collection or not. I would imagine that data collection will become important.
Apparently my apnea has not gotten any better over the last 40 years!

Thanks

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:47 am

PROJMAN1 wrote:Not yet sure if I will need the data collection or not. I would imagine that data collection will become important.
It might be important later. Here is my example.
Started on my machine May 23. From the LCD screen I could see that my AHI was averaging in the 5-8 range. Not bad for starting out. Leak wasn't bad either. BUT I felt awful. Zero improvement. While I knew that it does "take time to adjust" I wasn't satisfied feeling that poorly so I got the software a week later and discovered that I was having some pretty good little groups of events that likely were preventing optimal therapy. So I just increased my pressure just a little and it dropped my AHI to the 2-3 range and I immediately started seeing improvement. A minor change but with significant improvement.

If I had had the Escape machine, I would never have known and would likely have struggled, whined or whatever until follow up with doctor when I might or might not have got their attention enough to do anything. So often people are told "it takes time" but no amount of time will make up for ineffective therapy and you won't know if you have the basic plain jane machine.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:48 am

PROJMAN1 wrote:Pugsy, thanks for the reply.
Not yet sure if I will need the data collection or not. I would imagine that data collection will become important.
Apparently my apnea has not gotten any better over the last 40 years!

Thanks
You'll need it. You probably wouldn't want to drive a car that didn't have a speedometer or other instruments, would you?
Your insurance is going to pay the exact same amount for whatever machine you're going to get.......might as well have something that tells you how your therapy is working. How are you going to know if you're leaking air, snoring, still having apnea/hypopnea events?

It's YOUR therapy, YOUR life and YOUR money.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

KengEsq

Post by KengEsq » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:06 pm

PROJMAN1 wrote:PROJMAN

Gettinf my first machine! The sleep center recommended the Resmed Escape II. I was thinking the Respironics M series Pro.

Thanks
I have no experience with the Respironics machine but many people love it. Avoid the Escape II. If you are getting a ResMed, get the S8 AutoSet II. I love mine.

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:09 am

There are many machines that will work for you, depending on your budget. Data capability will help you and your doctor with your therapy. That is the only way to go.

If you money is tight, like almost everyone on the planet at this time, you can try http://www.cpapauction.com. Cpapauction is run by cpap.com who also run this forum. There are deals at the auction site that may be able to save you money and get more machine. I would stick with Respironics or Resmed... Just make sure that you can get software to do downloads... It will help you when you take it to your doctor and track your progress...

Cheers,

Ted