heated hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nmevan

heated hose

Post by nmevan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:34 pm

hello again

I'm a newbie

can someone please fill me in on the benefits or drawbacks of a heated hose

thanks

evan

Linus

Re: heated hose

Post by Linus » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Benefits
Far less chance of condensation in your hose.

Drawbacks
It costs about US$100
Sometime you might forget to plug it in at night. That can lead to surprises.

Go for it. I had lots of condensation issues in the winter (I live in Seattle), until I got the heated hose. It is a great investment.

Laurie1041

Post by Laurie1041 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:01 pm

From one newbie to another,
Disclaimer: I can only tell you of my limited experience to date, but so far I am a fan. In an earlier life, I had regular tubing and experienced substantial rainout from time-to-time even after taking into consideration adjusting the level of humidity, factoring the ambient air, and making sure my machine was lower than my head. (There is nothing like getting a nose-full of water at 3:00 AM). If you do get heated tubing, let us know what you think. L

BanjoPaterson

Post by BanjoPaterson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi - where I live in Australia you get extremes between summer and winter temperatures (36 or more Celsius to zero or more). This last winter in May-August was the first one with my new CPAP. I found that unless I kept the hose covered and wrapped up in bed with me under the sheets, I got rain-out and it was just terrible. Even on the nights that weren't so bad I would wake up 3-4 times with droplets on my nose.

Then I bought the Aussie Hose, which I can recommend. Found my S8 with an Aussie hose handles the lower temperatures well. Sometimes there can still be a moist feeling if the dew-point really drops, but overall it worked very, very well. Remember, as well, some CPAP/APAPs, like Resmed's S9, come with heated hoses, so these may be worth investigating if you haven't already purchased your machine. I've done a comparison between an S9 I'm trialling now and my ol' trusty S8 with the Aussie Hose, which you can find on this forum.

Best of luck.

fadedgirl

Post by fadedgirl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

I just tried to use the S9 slimline for a few nights instead of my aussie heated hose. WOW what a difference. I am wearing the sleepweaver mask currently so I wanted to see how a lighter hose affected things. It was difficult not using the heated hose and I ended up waking up several times throughout the night because of it. I just hooked it back up a few minutes ago, it makes such an incredibly positive difference for me and how the air feels (ambient, not hot or cold) when I inhale. I do not use a humidifier. I find its more flexible and comfortable to the touch than other hoses. Its a very high quality, well-made hose.

Heated hose drawbacks (I've only used the aussie): slightly heavier than non-heated; you definitely do not want to leave it plugged in all day and put covers or pillows over it (common sense of course, but I learned the hard way by accident). Once you get used to it, you are going to want to have a spare on hand.

The Guest

Post by The Guest » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:51 am

If its not a huge difference in price go with the heated hose. If it is way more expensive just make sure to put the tube under a blanket (your blanket if it won't bother you) to help it stay warm and that will lessen your rainout.

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:55 am

I know it's been posted before - but can someone post a link where to buy one? Believe it or not it gets cold in California too well - at night.

BanjoPaterson

Post by BanjoPaterson » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:33 am

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:46 am

Thanks!

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:07 am

I keep my Aussie heated hose on a timer. It goes on at my regular bedtime and goes off when my alarm does. Had it over 4 years so far and still works just fine. An excellent investment for me!

Brenda

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 am

What happens if you forget to turn it off, do you burn your house down????

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 am

I know RestedGal has an Aussie hose and last I heard she leaves hers on all the time with no ill effects. You might want to PM her to be sure, or she may post her experience.

Brenda

stevesgrl98

Post by stevesgrl98 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:04 am

Ok, this might be a stupid question, will a heated hose help keep my nose warmer? I am a humidity junkie. I don't have a problem with rain-out nor do I mind waking up with moisture on my nose. When my nose gets cold, it runs, thus waking me up.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:22 am

jonquiljo wrote:What happens if you forget to turn it off, do you burn your house down????

I am starting my second full winter w/my heated hose.
I forget to unplug a couple of times last year and just did it a few days ago.
House and hose are still intact.

Right now I only need to use the hose alone for max. comfort.
As it gets colder, I have a light weight hose cozy I will put on it to
increase the heat. If it gets really cold, I will put my PC hose cozy on
for max. heating.

I really enjoy winter weekend mornings....when I wake up,
I like to just lie there and breathe that warm, moist air.
The Ozzy heated hose is very functional and a real comfort item.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

luke

Post by luke » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:24 am

I've been using mine about a year now and love it. I think the hose is rated at 12 volts.
At 12 volts it was a bit too warm for me so I bought a variable voltage (6,7.5,9 &12V) power supply at
Radio shack. In the fall here in the northeast US I set it to 7.5volts, in winter I go to 9 volts.
12 volts is just too warm for me. In the spring up to the fall I dont use it at all but exchange it with
the regular unheated hose. That way I should get maximum life on it.

Bill