Velcro on quattro fullface slipping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepybones

Velcro on quattro fullface slipping

Post by sleepybones » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 am

Hi, have had this quattro full-face mask for about 15months and just this last couple of weeks the lower velcro straps have started slipping (coming unstuck). Anyone had simliar issue?, and handy types have any ideas on a cheap way to get this fixed or am i up for new headgear?

Thanks

stevesgrl98

Re: Velcro on quattro fullface slipping

Post by stevesgrl98 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:24 am

I am having the same problem, only with the ComfortGel FF mask. I kinda figured out a way that it doesn't leak (too much), but now the headgear is slipping and I am finding the headgear unfastened in the night. I even tried tightening it, moving to a "new" part of the velcro, nothing is working. My headgear is less than 3 months old. I am looking forward to reading about a solution.

Grr... if it isn't one thing with the stuff, its another.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 am

sleepybones, if you have insurance and have been using the same mask for 15 months it's time for a new mask and headgear. At the very least you will probably have to get new headgear.
Good luck.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:50 am

When I began cpap in November I was told by the DME that I would need a new mask every 6 mos. The doctor said 6 mos at the outside. I am not sure how often for replacement of the headstraps but I would imagine that is on a 6 mo life cycle too

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:00 am

I have been using the same mask and headgear for 15 months. I have only changed the cushion. In my case I hardly ever move the velcro straps. On rare occasions I need to tighten a strap. I have the top area set with no pressure on the nose. I think the trick to avoid eye leaks is to move the mask down about 1/4" on the nose to a wider area. DO NOT PULL THE MASK DOWN...THAT WILL CAUSE LEAKS. Simply place the mask on the nose first and then bring the rest of the mask in place and clip the straps.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 am

Velcro is dirt cheap and easy to replace. You can find it anywhere so if you can't afford to replace the headgear - buy some velcro, a needle, thread, scissors and bandaids and do it your self. Note everything except the velcro will only be needed to be bought once and the thread should be enough to last for years.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

sleepybones

Post by sleepybones » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:41 pm

Hi, thanks everyone for replies. Thought i'd post what i did for future reference for others etc.

I'm a hopeless at sewing, so i opted for glue-ing some new velcro to the headset. I didn't need to do the tip ends ( end that feeds through the clips, they still stuck well to the peice of velcro i bought).
I ended up using a glue called "QuickGrip" http://www.selleys.com.au/Selleys-Kwik- ... fault.aspx this mentions on package-ing that it can be used for wetsuits. I Followed the instructions on packet and its held very well so far, unlike the first 3 glues i tried.

Cheers