Tips for Quattro leaks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
desert rider

Tips for Quattro leaks?

Post by desert rider » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Seems like I spent a lot of time over the past two nights trying to shore up the leaks in my new Quattro FF. I'm surprised how often the seals blow all the way out on my cheeks. Seems like an odd design.

Any tips from Quattro users?

My CPAP is set at 12 with C-Flex on 3 (in case that's important).

"Being an optimist has its ups."

carbonman

Re: Tips for Quattro leaks?

Post by carbonman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 pm

desert rider wrote: Seems like an odd design.
Any tips from Quattro users?
Get an UltraMirage FF.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34880&st
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:22 pm

I had similar problems trying to stop leaks when I got mine. The instructions say if you can't stop leaks you might have the wrong size mask. I exchanged my large for a medium and now have no problems.

PST

Post by PST » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

LSAT wrote:I had similar problems trying to stop leaks when I got mine. The instructions say if you can't stop leaks you might have the wrong size mask. I exchanged my large for a medium and now have no problems.
Same here. I was sure I must be a large because I have a big hat size. But what matters is the distance from the bridge of your nose to the dimple between your lower lip and chin. Over the last six months I've seen many posts by people who found that the Quattro that fit them best was smaller than they expected.

In addition, people have found that if you tighten a Quattro too much, and the cushions get smushed down too much, they can flair out. When it's working just right, the Quattro kind of floats on the cushions, with air pressure in the mask filling them. My own experience has been that the lower straps can be tighter than the upper, and that correct adjustment of the forehead dial is important. It needs to be just enough to keep the hart part of the mask totally off the bridge of the nose, so the pressure is on the pads, but close enough for the seal to work. It takes some work to find the right balance, and once you have it, you don't want to let anyone rrrrip your velcro. It also helps to be sure there is no oil or water on the cushion or on your face. Air seems to want to spurt through any spot with moisture or oil.

I had all kinds of trouble getting my Quattro dialed in, and I had big leaks at first. But these days I find that I have almost no leaks at all, night after night, with pressure of 15 cm. One thing that's clear around here is that one mask (let alone one size) does not fit all, and something else may suit you better, but the Quattro is popular and I think deservedly so. It is flexible enough that many people can make it work.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Size is important on the quattro and they are slightly bigger than say the Ultra mirage. I wore a large ultra and a medium quattro. Also if you are overtightening it that will cause it to leak big time. Think of the quattro as floating on a cushion of air and you will kind of understanding not tightening it too much. I had trouble with mine at first and finally sat down with the instructions in front a mirror and watched myself as I was following the directions. Then I hooked it up to the machine which I had next to me. I did this a few times until I got it without problems, then I did it without the mirror a few more. I usually start with the forehead adjuster way out and get my mask close then dial in the forehead close then adjust the straps and make final adjustments to the dial.

Good luck

Gerry

sagesteve

Post by sagesteve » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:23 pm

I actually had a large too in the beginning and went to a small. It works GREAT! Also, take the time to adjust it. Not all the straps will be equal length ( depending on how you sleep). I adjusted mine a year ago while sitting up in the afternoon and then turning on the cpap and laying on my side and adjusting to the pillow, my side etc. I kept doing it until I got it right. I'd adjust, sit up and lay back down. My mask will not leak no matter what...one side to the next. Don't wait till night time to do it. I also clean my face with witch hazel and wipe down the mask with witch hazel...this makes for a really good seal--gets rid of all the grease and won't hurt the gel. The secret is to get it to "float" on your face. I look forward to my WONDERFUL sleep every night. I also use PadaCheek on the forehead support...best thing I ever bought for comfort!

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:29 pm

As far as the strap being equal. Let me restate what was previously said.

Don't worry about the straps being equal. We may all want to think and believe that our head are shaped perfectly but they are far from that.

Gerry

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:45 pm

That's interesting about the mask "floating". I must have the straps too tight then. I'll check it out later today.

Thanks!!!!
carbonman wrote:Get an UltraMirage FF.
Another new mask isn't in the budget just yet. I'll file that away though. Thanks!

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:51 pm

desert rider wrote:Another new mask isn't in the budget just yet.
Except for my original Optilife that "insc paid for",
I have purchased all my masks at the cpapauction site.
Never paid more than 33% of retail price.
All new, unopened.

Check it out.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:00 pm

carbonman wrote:
desert rider wrote:Another new mask isn't in the budget just yet.
Except for my original Optilife that "insc paid for",
I have purchased all my masks at the cpapauction site.
Never paid more than 33% of retail price.
All new, unopened.

Check it out.
Yep - I checked out their prices as soon as I saw your recommendation. It looks like about $65 with shipping, which is a great price. I just bought a new machine, mask, and card reader last week, which is a lot to spend on myself so close to Christmas. I'll take a look again in January.

Cygnusia

Post by Cygnusia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:13 pm

I'm still tweaking mine and trying to get it right. I'm kinda stuck in between sizes so I'm not sure what to do. I've tried using KY as a mask sealant, and could actually feel the air bubbling out between the seal and my cheeks. For now, I have it clamped down pretty tight until I have time to tweak and re-tweak until I get it right (if that's possible... been seriously looking into total face masks lately...)

Look in my dreams, They're getting stranger by the minute

--Porcupine Tree

desert rider

Post by desert rider » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:52 pm

So last night I had a talk with my Quattro and explained that it had one last chance to stop leaking, or I would have to put it up for adoption.

I worked on the adjustment for at least a half an hour before I discovered something critical: The tightness of the straps depends on the up/down position of my head--if I bend my neck, the straps aren't as tight. I had been adjusting it with a fairly straight neck, but then when I tip my head down in my sleep it would loosen up.

So I started the process of tweaking the adjustments with my neck bent until it finally stopped leaking. It's the best night I've had so far. I only remember waking up once when my wife told me the mask was venting right in her face. I woke up with a bit of a sore nose because I had tightened it down so much, but the sleep was good.

So I'm looking at the data now, but I'm not sure what my vent rate is supposed to be for the mask. According to the literature, it looks like it's supposed to be around 41 for my 12 cm setting (not sure if I'm looking at the right info in the manual). My leak graph is very flat (for me) at just over 50 most of the night. I don't know if that's optimal or not (since I don't have any baseline success to compare it to).

luke

Post by luke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 pm

I have been using the Quattro for about 8 months now. At first I had all kinds of trouble
with crummy looking leak lines but lately my leak lines have been relatively flat.
I attribute it to the mask (or my face) "breaking" into each other. After about a couple
months the mask starts to conform a little better but your experience may differ.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it !

Bill

Cygnusia

Post by Cygnusia » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:25 pm

desert rider wrote:I worked on the adjustment for at least a half an hour before I discovered something critical: The tightness of the straps depends on the up/down position of my head--if I bend my neck, the straps aren't as tight. I had been adjusting it with a fairly straight neck, but then when I tip my head down in my sleep it would loosen up.
Yup! I'm having this exact same problem. Since the lower straps basically ride the neck, however you have your head tilted will directly affect tension and sealability (is that even a word?) I've actually been wearing the mask a little low on the bridge just so I can get a half-decent seal on it with it cranked down, but I may be going about this the wrong way... I think I will try to readjust the mask while looking at a downward angle since I have my head tilted in that direction when I'm at rest anyway.

Look in my dreams, They're getting stranger by the minute

--Porcupine Tree

SnoozyWoozyCat

Post by SnoozyWoozyCat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:40 pm

Mine was definitely a size issue. I was originally given a Medium Comfort Gel by the DME ("smallest they had in stock and they said there was little difference between small and medium"). I had big issues with the medium and once I changed it for the small Quattro, I have had minimal problems with leaks. I do find if I don't wash the mask at least every 2- 3 days or so, the mask doesn't keep as good of a seal. I also have to play with the dial periodically -- don't know if it loosens up on its own but that seems to help if I'm having any leak issues. I love my Quattro and found another new one at CPAP auction for $50.00. Hope you find your answer and you are leak free!