Robert Dawkins- Tolerate CPAP book?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RDawkinsPhDMPH

Re: Robert Dawkins- Tolerate CPAP book?

Post by RDawkinsPhDMPH » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:25 pm

NotMuffy:

A number of people on this thread took issue with my PMs. I expressed to them that I had indeed considered the points they brought up but just came to a different conclusion. Most then tempered their criticism. Some others also posted that they, at least, accepted my approach.

Some also complained that there was money involved. I understand their concern completely. Suffice it to say that I spend more free time with people studied in our lab, whether they were "my" patients or someone else's (ie. whether I received compensation related to their study or not) and people studied in other nearby labs, than anyone I know. (I don't know everyone in the world, I admit.) We can discuss economics elsewhere but whether one is paid a wage (hourly or salary) or is paid on the work volume ("piece work") can influence how they see things.

But of all the people posting on this thread, you are the only one who chose to be hostile in your posts. I have my name out there so everyone knows who I am; you did this totally anonymously. I am happy to debate OSAS issues whenever, time permitting, and I am always willing to learn. My next meeting will be the Southern Sleep Society in New Orleans in the spring if you'd like to discuss OSAS over a beer.

Otherwise, in the future I will not respond to posts that are hostile.

stevesgrl98

Post by stevesgrl98 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:49 pm

carbonman wrote:I wonder what more you are going to get from this book,
that you aren't going to get here.
A bill! Less money in your checking account.

NotMuffy

Post by NotMuffy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm

RDawkinsPhDMPH wrote:My next meeting will be the Southern Sleep Society in New Orleans in the spring if you'd like to discuss OSAS over a beer.
Forget it there, Bobby, because

a. I don't drink; and
b. I really don't like you. I think you've got cojones grandes to come into a forum that offers free advice and sell advice.

I don't imagine you asked the host of the site if it was OK to solicit.

Right, didn't think so.
RDawkinsPhDMPH wrote:Otherwise, in the future I will not respond to posts that are hostile.
Couldn't give a FF.

How's that for hostile?
"Don't Blame Me...You Took the Red Pill..."

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 pm

stevesgrl98 wrote:
carbonman wrote:I wonder what more you are going to get from this book,
that you aren't going to get here.
A bill! Less money in your checking account.
Nobody is going to buy it if that's all there is to it. However, Seems to me that even though everything in his book had probably been said on this board, you have to wade through an awful lot of stuff to get to the same nuggets of information.

If you don't wish to have a purified, more concentrated form of the information on this board, then don't buy the book. I'm not buying the book myself, but I see no reason why he should not charge for it. He had no obligation to write the book in the first place; therefore, he has no obligation to make it free to ANYONE. For someone who is just starting out with PAP therapy, it sounds like a really great resource. But again, you have the board, there is no reason to pay for that book unless you'd just like to have the information presented in a more organized and concise fashion.

NotMuffy wrote:I don't imagine you asked the host of the site if it was OK to solicit.
Hold your horses, there, NotMuffy. The product he offers is not in competition with anything that our host sells. In any event, several other vendors participate on this board, and one of them occasionally crosses the line into subtle solicitation. I seriously doubt he has sought permission from the host to solicit. Heck, I'm not even sure permission is required to make people aware of a product related to the treatment of SDB.

Why do so many people have their panties in a wad over this?

NotMuffy

Post by NotMuffy » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 pm

LoQ wrote:Seems to me that even though everything in his book had probably been said on this board, you have to wade through an awful lot of stuff to get to the same nuggets of information.
Good point, LoQ.

Hey wait!

I've got an idea!

Let's divide the forum up into sections!
"Don't Blame Me...You Took the Red Pill..."

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:50 pm

NotMuffy wrote:Let's divide the forum up into sections!
Is there no dead horse you won't beat?

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm

Glad to see you posting again, Muffy. You(r side of the persona) have/has been missed.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey, we've had Dr Krakow w/some very good information and interesting and informative posts mention his book(s) for sale repeatedly. The same holds true for Dr Park. Yet they are both very good men, w/very good information.

I'm not a fan on books about diseases and various health conditions because they get out-dated so quickly. That would seem to be the best thing about a good e-book, it can be updated in a timely manner and those updates could be done free of charge by just leaving the online access open "forever" to those who purchase the e-book.

On the other hand I can see the convenience of having one place to go to get information rather than having to search repeatedly thru all the posts here to find the info we are looking for.

I can understand WHY Dr Dawkins approached a few via PM. But somehow it does leave a bit of distaste in my mouth. I know that wasn't his intention. Kind of a damned if he did and damned if he didn't situation. Whatever, he is out in the open now about why and how the PMs came about and I say welcome to you, Dr Dawkin. Live and learn, right? So many of us have been "let-down" (to be polite) by our sleep professionals that those sleep professionals that come here have to EARN our respect or get driven away and labeling us a bunch of hard-nosed, incorrigibles not worth the time and aggrivation.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Laurie1041 wrote:e-book review - How to Tolerate CPAP Therapy for your Sleep Apnea, by Robert Dawkins, PhD, MPH.
I highly recommend it. I only wish that it were more affordable or free.
Unfortunately, as you probably know, people tend to place value on an item equal to what it cost them to obtain it. If an item is free people quite often do not pay attention to it, and worse, often have the feeling that if the author is giving it away then the author himself/herself must not place a real value on what they are offering. It's a catch-22 for both seller and buyer. $14.95 may be a bit much. At least it's high enough I have no real desire to buy it. At $9.95 I might, and at $4.95 I'm pretty sure I would. I would also take it for free, but would I bother to read it then? Quite possibly not.

It's different here in the forum. We all know you don't give away advice, or suggestions, or recommendations, or experiences, for free in reality. It takes time and effort to write each individual response, tailored to the subject question or issue. And it's not very often we can resurrect a previous post and repost it verbatim, thus saving time and effort. That differentiates our forum postings from Dr Dawkins' e-book. He wrote it once, updates it occasionally, and re-dispenses it as purchased. But his labor is hidden behind the image of the book, thus the reader has no way to get a sense of it. The surest way to assign value to his offering is to place a price on it.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:46 pm

So true, Idamtnboy. What people get for nothing they seldom appreciate. I found that out very early in my 30 years of breeding and showing dogs. It was harder to give a dog away to a GOOD home that it was to sell it to a good home.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Slinky wrote:What people get for nothing they seldom appreciate.
I don't know about that... I got a lot of advice here for free, and I appreciated it!
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 am

SleepingUgly wrote:
Slinky wrote:What people get for nothing they seldom appreciate.
I don't know about that... I got a lot of advice here for free, and I appreciated it!
No, you do not get it for free although there is no dollar cost associated with it. You have to take the time and effort to come to the forum and search the topics and sort out the ones that interest you. And then you take time and effort to respond. Don't ever let anyone try to tell you writing is not work, because it is. Both you and the poster have given time out of your day to participate. That is why you appreciate it. You're entitled to more credit than you give yourself!