It IS possible to find the perfect mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sillyme

It IS possible to find the perfect mask

Post by Sillyme » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:13 am

At my lowest I was using a full face mask with a non-Rx MAD, mouth tape and a chin strap - all at the same time - and my numbers still were marginal. I got a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and was really discouraged. This just didn't seem sustainable. So I started using my own funds to try new masks based on recommendations from this board for my needs. I now have six masks which I hate and one gem. The FP 431 seals perfectly, holds my chin up and supports my chipmunk cheeks and I don't have any mask marks in the morning. Even changing positions during the night doesn't break the seal. I've had sinus irritation from nasal pillows, a canker sore from the MAD and pressure sores from other masks from over-tightening to stop leaks. I know that no mask works for everyone, but I just wanted to share that the perfect mask is possible to find. I wish there were a way to make it easier and less expensive to find, but I'm very happy. I've done a fair amount of grousing here so I thought I'd share an upper. Once I get a few back-up masks I'll probably offer my other ones free for others to try.
What!!? Wylie was trying to eat me.
Any time spent being unhappy is wasted.

donnafowler

Re: It IS possible to find the perfect mask

Post by donnafowler » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:54 am

Yes, it is certainly trial and error. I started out with ComfortGel nasal masks and they were fine. Then I tried several FFMs and they were all horrible. I switched to a Resmed SoftGel nasal mask in May, and oh, my, what a difference! I do have to tape my lips together, but this is definitely working for me. It is definitely worth the effort to keep trying new masks!

jbn3boys

Post by jbn3boys » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 am

sillyme, I'm so happy for you!
donnafowler wrote:I started out with ComfortGel nasal masks and they were fine. .... I switched to a Resmed SoftGel nasal mask in May, and oh, my, what a difference!
As someone who uses the ComfortGel, and still has not found the "perfect" masks, could you tell me what differences you found between the ComfortGel and the SoftGel? I think I'm due for a new mask fairly soon, but can't decide between trying nasal pillows and another nasal mask.

aPAP for 4 months, Switched to BiPap, 2nd sleep study Feb 2011 Possible PLMD
to quote Madalot..."I'm an enigma"

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:17 am

Sillyme wrote:At my lowest I was using a full face mask with a non-Rx MAD, mouth tape and a chin strap - all at the same time - and my numbers still were marginal. I got a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and was really discouraged. This just didn't seem sustainable. So I started using my own funds to try new masks based on recommendations from this board for my needs. I now have six masks which I hate and one gem. The FP 431 seals perfectly, holds my chin up and supports my chipmunk cheeks and I don't have any mask marks in the morning. Even changing positions during the night doesn't break the seal. I've had sinus irritation from nasal pillows, a canker sore from the MAD and pressure sores from other masks from over-tightening to stop leaks. I know that no mask works for everyone, but I just wanted to share that the perfect mask is possible to find. I wish there were a way to make it easier and less expensive to find, but I'm very happy. I've done a fair amount of grousing here so I thought I'd share an upper. Once I get a few back-up masks I'll probably offer my other ones free for others to try.

You are spending your own money to find a suitable mask..You've now paid for several that you cannot use.......Why not go to a DME and pay the higher retail price, but get the 30 day guarantee. If the mask doesn't suit you exchange it for another. I'm sure you would have saved a lot of money.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:35 am

Silly, I'm really happy for you! I believe Madalot uses this mask too and is comfortable with it.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Sillyme

Post by Sillyme » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:55 pm

LSAT wrote:You are spending your own money to find a suitable mask..You've now paid for several that you cannot use.......Why not go to a DME and pay the higher retail price, but get the 30 day guarantee. If the mask doesn't suit you exchange it for another. I'm sure you would have saved a lot of money.
I'm sure you're right. I think I ordered the first one in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. (Actually I have made some pretty silly infomercial purchases in the wee small hours. ) From there it was like playing the slots. I WAS going to win! At least I did come out a winner. What price a good night's sleep?

joe-66

Post by joe-66 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:42 pm

I agree. The FP 431 is the only mask that works for me.

sister

Post by sister » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi, what about pressure on the bridge of the nose?
Thanks!

Sillyme

Post by Sillyme » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:47 pm

sister wrote:Hi, what about pressure on the bridge of the nose?
Thanks!
Not sure why, but the FP 431 doesn't even leave a mark. Probably because it is the right fit for my facial structure and I don't have to over-tighten it. I had that problem with the Quattro. It was much better when I went up a size - but then it didn't seal well at the cheek. I think comfort has a lot to do with where it rides on the upper nose. The FP 431 came with all three sizes of cushions. I'd love to find someone to swap extra cushions with. They cost $40 to replace and I have a small and large which are useless to me.

cobra4x4

Post by cobra4x4 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Sillyme wrote:The FP 431 came with all three sizes of cushions. I'd love to find someone to swap extra cushions with. They cost $40 to replace and I have a small and large which are useless to me.
Use the "Great Pillow Exchange" thread to offer an exchange of either your small or large for the size you need (which I assume is the medium).

Many members including myself have exchanged parts which are useless to ourselves but needed by others at minimal cost (usually postage). I've done exchanges between Canada where I live & the US with no issues (just mark package as Gift or Sample)

fadedgirl

Post by fadedgirl » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:44 am

I also love the FP 431. I wore it for at least half a year, and will no doubt go back to it once in a while, or perhaps for a long spell again. Its the only other mask I can stand to wear. I think it is a totally unique mask. I hope they don't change it or stop making it. I absolutely love its under-the-chin design and soft, thin, super flexible seal/cushion.

Congrats on finding a great mask!!

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:11 am

DoriC wrote:Silly, I'm really happy for you! I believe Madalot uses this mask too and is comfortable with it.
Yes, this is true. I have tried practically every FFM out there and this is the ONLY one that works for me. Told my DME to have this one ready for my replacements.

ZQuest

Post by ZQuest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:19 am

Sillyme wrote:At my lowest I was using a full face mask with a non-Rx MAD, mouth tape and a chin strap - all at the same time - and my numbers still were marginal. I got a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror in the middle of the night and was really discouraged. This just didn't seem sustainable. So I started using my own funds to try new masks based on recommendations from this board for my needs. I now have six masks which I hate and one gem. The FP 431 seals perfectly, holds my chin up and supports my chipmunk cheeks and I don't have any mask marks in the morning. Even changing positions during the night doesn't break the seal. I've had sinus irritation from nasal pillows, a canker sore from the MAD and pressure sores from other masks from over-tightening to stop leaks. I know that no mask works for everyone, but I just wanted to share that the perfect mask is possible to find. I wish there were a way to make it easier and less expensive to find, but I'm very happy. I've done a fair amount of grousing here so I thought I'd share an upper. Once I get a few back-up masks I'll probably offer my other ones free for others to try.

Congrats Sillyme on your Quest for the perfect mask. May i suggest that now you do some research into hose management and you may discover a way to experience even more comfort out of your mask..

Regards: Phil

Tired Linda

Post by Tired Linda » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:53 am

LSAT wrote:You are spending your own money to find a suitable mask..You've now paid for several that you cannot use.......Why not go to a DME and pay the higher retail price, but get the 30 day guarantee. If the mask doesn't suit you exchange it for another. I'm sure you would have saved a lot of money.
This is true; however, my DME is open 9 to 5 M-F, and I work 9 to 5 M-F.

I need to make an appointment, take off work 15-20 minutes early to get to the appointment, and then put up with the aggravation of a tech telling me what I want isn't going to work and trying to sell me something else. Or telling me something I flat out know is BS. I just don't need that.

Besides, I like getting packages in the mail

Linda

P.S. My other "choice" for DME is Crapria. Need I say more?
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

Sillyme

Post by Sillyme » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:48 pm

Tired Linda wrote:
This is true; however, my DME is open 9 to 5 M-F, and I work 9 to 5 M-F.

I need to make an appointment, take off work 15-20 minutes early to get to the appointment, and then put up with the aggravation of a tech telling me what I want isn't going to work and trying to sell me something else. Or telling me something I flat out know is BS. I just don't need that.

Besides, I like getting packages in the mail

Linda

P.S. My other "choice" for DME is Crapria. Need I say more?
Another thing to consider is that DME charges waaay more than CPAP.com. If I guess wrong and buy insurance I am out less. If I choose the right one I end up paying as much as two masks. And I like supporting our sponsor. I very likely would have given up on CPAP without all the advice and support and humor. I believe CPAP.com offers insurance on masks also. I just know how bad I am about returning things.