Nasal Pillows, Lanolin, and Software

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jman2010

Nasal Pillows, Lanolin, and Software

Post by Jman2010 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:28 am

Ok, so I got Swift FX nasal pillows and a chinstrap from my DME yesterday. She had suggested using KY, non petroleum based, to go around the nasal pillows to help with the irritation and to turn my humidifier up from 3 to 4. I couldn't find any Lanolin cream as was suggested here on the forums at Wal-Mart or Walgreens.

So I went bareback last night.

I woke up much more refreshed than with the full face mask. Although, I can't tell if it's because I got 7 hours of sleep, or if I'm just used to waking up feeling like I'm dead, but it took a little coercion to get me out of bed. (before, even with the ffm, it took a bucket of water or that 'OH CRAP I'M LATE' feeling) It's like it was on my first night of CPAP use when I had the nasal pillows, so, hurray!

I've got the headgear snug, not too tight, but I woke up with my right nostril hurting, sort of. (now that it's all fresh in my mind, I can explain it better ) There's that little flap of skin between your nostrils, and just where it ends, hardly 3mm into my nose, is where it's sore. That's how far the pillows are sticking into my nostrils. There's just a tiny bit of the entire pillow that actually goes into my nose. The seal is perfect, and overall much more comfortable than the ffm.

So, anyway, where can I get some Lanolin cream? What brand? I'm kind of dead set on getting it, since it should help toughen the skin a bit, then I won't need any more, right?

I know what I need to do to 'buy' the software, so thanks...

Last edited by Jman2010 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
-A solid challange will bring forth your finest abilities-

OutaSync

Re: Nasal Pillows, Lanolin, and Software

Post by OutaSync » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:34 am

ResScan will definitely not work in your machine. I believe this is what you will need:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... eader.html

Lanolin can be found in the aisle where they sell baby stuff (bottles and nursing pads). It is marketed as nipple ointment for nursing mothers. Ask someone in the pharmacy if you cannot find it.

Bev

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

TheDreamer

Post by TheDreamer » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:38 am

Lansinoh seems to be the preferred brand. I got my via drugstore.com, but its in the baby aisle at the grocery store (not in the pharmacy section).

The Dreamer.

You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!

73 de W0LKC

danimal71

Post by danimal71 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:01 am

I found that brand in the pahrmacy section At Jewel\Osco....bottom shelf by the baby bottles.

If you have an SD card reader built in to your PC you will only need the software. Easy to use. I have been taking my card out each morning now and It's a 5 minute process to take it out, download the new info and then put the card back.

Jman2010

Post by Jman2010 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:03 am

Well this is poogas. Walmart.com says the two Wal-Marts near me carry the Lansinoh brand. I sure as heck didn't find it in the pharmacy area, lotion area, or baby area at both locations...

Time to break some sk... I mean, ask associates nicely to point me in the right direction.

Thanks Dreamer.

My laptop has an SD card reader, and I know where to get the Pro software, so I'm set for that.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

CVS carried medical grade lanolin, in the baby aisle, right next to name brand Lanisoh, for about $2 less per tube. For some reason it's hidden down on the bottom shelf by the nipple pads and stuff like that.

You might want to try going up one size on the nasal pillows and see if you can still get a seal but with less nasal irritation. The next size up will be slightly wider, too, and point away from the septum more.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Tired Linda

Post by Tired Linda » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:51 am

Jman2010 wrote:Well this is poogas. Walmart.com says the two Wal-Marts near me carry the Lansinoh brand. I sure as heck didn't find it in the pharmacy area, lotion area, or baby area at both locations...
It's in a light purple/lavender colored box, about 4 or 5 inches long, maybe an inch or so high...I found mine at CVS Pharmacy and their generic is in the same type/color of box. It will cost you about $9 or so. It's right where the breast pads for nursing mothers are
"There cannot be a stressful crisis next week. My schedule is already full."--Henry Kissinger

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:15 am

If your local retailers are impossible, I would suggest you call the local La Leche League.
Make up your own story.

Jman2010

Post by Jman2010 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 am

Hmm, I tried the large ones (using medium atm) the first time around and I gave up on them after 2 minutes of therapy. I had to have the headgear ratcheted down super tight to get a seal, then as soon as I laid my head down or moved my head, it'd leak. I had thought of altering the mediums, but I'd hate to void a warranty or trade in policy.

Looks like I'm going to be driving around Denver to find me some Lansinoh. There's no CVS here, and the one Walgreens just didn't have it. Time to try Rite Aid I suppose.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:58 am

KY jelly is easier to find and will work. It's not as soothing as lanolin, but sheesh, it's not worth all the time looking for it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 pm

One of the nice things about Lasinoh is that it has a bit of tackiness that helps get a good seal with your pillows. It is a purple box and should be in the baby items aisle.... around the nursing/ feeding items. Ask a salesperson (if you can find one these days) to help you!

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Jman2010

Post by Jman2010 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:28 pm

Found it at a different walgreens, yay!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Got mine at Target. Then I found it at WalMart a buck cheaper.

resistance

Post by resistance » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Jman2010 wrote:There's that little flap of skin between your nostrils, and just where it ends, hardly 3mm into my nose, is where it's sore.
Swift FX and same problem here, at exactly the same point, in left nostril. I used Lansinoh since the beginning but couldn't stop the irritation. I guess there's already some damaged tissue there.

I love my FX, but may have to go back to a nasal mask until it heals.

Jman2010

Post by Jman2010 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:16 pm

resistance wrote:
Jman2010 wrote:There's that little flap of skin between your nostrils, and just where it ends, hardly 3mm into my nose, is where it's sore.
Swift FX and same problem here, at exactly the same point, in left nostril. I used Lansinoh since the beginning but couldn't stop the irritation. I guess there's already some damaged tissue there.

I love my FX, but may have to go back to a nasal mask until it heals.
Funny thing is, my left nostril hurt the first time around along with the right. I can't remember if the left started hurting after a few days into the therapy. I can live with it if the Lanolin doesn't work, since I now know the mask doesn't do diddly compared to nasal pillows for me.

Hell, I'll scrape the nasal pillows off if I have to if it means I'm no longer tired all day and feel rested in the morning.