Looking for DIY chin strap directions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cindy Lou Who

Looking for DIY chin strap directions

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Sorry, but my Searches on this topic aren't bringing up any posts on how to make one; just lots of references to chin straps. And I've tried on other nights too. Could someone more knowledgeable on how to use this site find some for me?
I would like to be able to attach it to an Opus 360 to reduce the # of straps on my head. Is that possible? Or would that put too much pressure on the whole thing. I'm willing to experiment.
Anyways...thanks very, very much for your help!
Cindy

jlk

Re: Looking for DIY chin strap directions

Post by jlk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 pm

There is a cpap nasal mask out there with a chinstrap attached. My first impression of it is if my mouth opens in my sleep, it would pull the mask off nose? My suggestion is to check-out PAPCAP. It is a cap (looks dorky) that has a chin-strap attached to velcro. I'd bet someone could attach the lower half of cpap head-gear to velcro and attach it to the cap part. It looks like one of them cheap cotton "welders caps", ( a thin lightweight base-ball cap w/o visor) but has velcro sewn to the side of it. If you look at the PAPCAP, you could probibly nake something that will work. I use one for a chinstrap and it works nicely! Plus, keeps the hair from getting that pap-strap look in morn. jlk

Cindy Lou Who

Post by Cindy Lou Who » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:56 pm

jlk Thanks for your ideas. The Welder's cap would possibly get rid of the funny 'wrinkle' my hair stylist noticed around the side and back of my head last week. She asked what I had been wearing. I had washed my hair that morning so the impression the straps left from sleeping on them was really deep. Will definably check out PAPCAP.
Thanks again.
Cindy

PAPalogical

Post by PAPalogical » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey Cindy -

Yeah - I'm a PAPCAP convert - was using the Respironics one for nearly a year before I had to replace the 2nd one for stretching out, and wanted to see if I could find something that wouldn't stretch out so much and would stay on better. The PAPCAP did both for me, and brought my AHI down by from 3.x to 2.x (I noticed a drop the first week, and it's stayed down for 6+ months).

I may not *eliminate* your hair dents, but it may reduce them.

john

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:31 pm

I may have to try a PAPcap. I can tell that my recently purchased Respironics Premium does not have a long future.
jeff