Bipap vr CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pudzzy

Bipap vr CPAP

Post by pudzzy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:25 pm

I'm new to sleep Apnea. Have been on a machine for about a month . I have my machine at 6 & 3 & use a trueblue mask . I have COPD & asthma & sometimes I felt like I couldn't breath with the machine on. Now my Dr has suggest a BIPAP. He says its more expensive than the CPAP. I guess its because of my COPD that I am having trouble breathing. MY QUESTION how much more do Bipap cost & does anyone use one now . I'm on a trail so have not paid for anything yet It is worth me paying more for it ?

Pugsy

Re: Bipap vr CPAP

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Depends on which brand and which model you end up buying.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... iflex.html

This machine above can be bought with humidifier from cpap.com for around $1,000 right now.

I own this very machine myself and it is a wonderful machine....I also own the ResMed equivalent machine...great machine but double the price at least and not that much better. Minor pros and cons with either.
Now if you need the real high dollar bilevel machines then we have to look at why those machines. They aren't always indicated excepted for some very special problems with centrals.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:41 pm

The pressure you're using is very low and some people feel suffocated. Did your Dr mention increasing the pressure?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Suddenly Worn Out

Post by Suddenly Worn Out » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Sounds like you have some complicating pulmonary problems that might make you a good candidate for a Bipap. Bipaps generally are more comfortable to breathe on. If your doctor suggested you go on a Bipap, thats the direction you should probably go. Be sure to get a decent one. The Respironics Bipap the other poster posted is a good bipap.

Go for it. You have nothing to gain but better cardio-respiratory health and better daytime alertness and awareness.

Eric

Greg6657

Post by Greg6657 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Well this is my opinion and my opinion only. I was first tried at the DME on a CPAP (constant Pressure) I felt like I couldnt breath either. To me it was like sticking your head out a moving car window at about 80 mph. They then switched it to by PiPap. (IPAP 12 / EPAP 5) major, major difference. It was like walking against the wind breathing, in other words no problem. They recently had to up my EPAP pressure to 8. Since I was use to my other pressure going up to 8 was a breeze. No PUN intended Bipap is more expensive you can go to CPAP . com (remove the spaces) and get some price differences they also have a Help me decide feature that is great.
Hope this helps even a little Good luck and hang in there!

Greg

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 am

pudzzy wrote:I'm new to sleep Apnea. Have been on a machine for about a month . I have my machine at 6 & 3 & use a trueblue mask . I have COPD & asthma & sometimes I felt like I couldn't breath with the machine on. Now my Dr has suggest a BIPAP. He says its more expensive than the CPAP. I guess its because of my COPD that I am having trouble breathing. MY QUESTION how much more do Bipap cost & does anyone use one now . I'm on a trail so have not paid for anything yet It is worth me paying more for it ?
Welcome.

Please enter your equipment in your profile. We need to know what machine and mask you currently have.

What do you mean by "6 and 3?" Is this the pressure setting?

What do you mean by "can't breathe?" Do you have difficulty exhaling, or do you feel like there's not enough air when you try to inhale?

If you really need "BiPAP," yes, it can literally be a lifesaver if you can stand BiPAP and can't stand CPAP.

By the way, BiPAP is a trademark. The correct term is bilevel. Respironics says BiPAP, ResMed says "VPAP," but they're both "bilevel."

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

pudzzy

Post by pudzzy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:48 pm

sorry this is so new to me ..I have to get used to all the terms etc
I really need to know if my pressure is too low or if its my breathing .
I have trouble breating in & its like Greg6657 says I feel like im suffocating . I dont know why because I used it for 3 weeks with no problem. BUT now my asthmas is worse & that could be the problem .

I DONT want to spend a whle lot of extra money if I dont have to The place I get my mask has not been that helpfull . I get 2 masks to try ( one was full face ,terrible with asthma )& then pay after. My insurance pays some of it .

My machine is a philips respironics System one ReMstar Auto A -Flex with heated humidifier .The mask Im using now is a philips respironics Trueblue nasal -Size med . My pressure is set to 6 going up to 8 & humidifier is 3 Is that too low ? Any ideas please as I am supposed to get the bilevel on Tues So meanwhile Im not using anything & I am giong in for surgery oct 17 sO need to get everything working ok by then IM thinking off putting off surgery If i dont get this right

I have been Diagnosed with severe apnea

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Is the feeling of not being able to breathe because there's not enough air, or too much air or air pressure?

pudzzy

Post by pudzzy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:38 pm

When I think about it I'm not sure but I think its because I don't have enough air.. Its a feeling like someone has plugged up the end of the hose & there is no air to breath .Have not had my mask on for days now & i do notice Im tired in the day time again . I tried the mask again last night & same thing I couldnt breath

Xney

Post by Xney » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:45 am

You probably need more pressure - the pressure being so low can feel suffocating.

however given your conditions you probably need to make that change only in consultation with your doctor.

pudzzy

Post by pudzzy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 pm

thanks I will ask about this first before I get a new bipap Turn up the pressure

Xney

Post by Xney » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:27 pm

I'd ask quickly though.. if it weren't for your condition I would certainly raise the pressure on my own, but you have to be careful with other medical conditions involved.

pudzzy

Post by pudzzy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm

i cant ..they do that at the place i get the masks from

sleepycarol

Post by sleepycarol » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:05 pm

I have asthma and used an apap for almost 5 years. If your pressure is 6 and 3 I know I would feel like I am not getting enough air at those pressures. Even at 8 (my original script was for a pressure of 8 to 12) I get that feeling. I upped my pressure to 9/10 to 15 and it felt much better. I was able to pick up a brand new bipap (the System 1 with auto bipap with biflex) and love it. It had zero hours and I was able to get it for $275.00. I picked it up about 100 miles from where I live.

Might check to see if increasing your pressure might help and if you are on an apap that would allow you a range of pressures.
Start Date: 8/30/2007 Pressure 9 - 15
I am not a doctor or other health care professional. Comments reflect my own personal experiences and opinions.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

At some time when you feel you can't breathe, resist the urge to take off the mask.

Stop and consciously feel your breathing and the airflow.

Inhale deeply. Does air flow in easily?

Try to exhale. Do you have any problem exhaling against the pressure?

Repeat the cycle several times to see if you can get enough air to get over the feeling you can't breathe. Try to hyperventilate a little.

Open your mouth and let air rush in your nose and out through your mouth. This should help you see and convince yourself you're getting enough air. You can also put your hand in the airstream flowing out the vent and see that air is flowing into the mask.

You may simply need more pressure.

By the way, you can change your pressure settings yourself once you know the magic button combination, but it may not be wise in your particular case.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.