Campers/Backpackers/Horse packers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DreamDiver

Re: Campers/Backpackers/Horse packers

Post by DreamDiver » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:04 am

BlackSpinner wrote:That is the way I always liked to camp but with the serfs doing all the set up and carry. It is really hard to find good serfs these days. The peasants keep revolting and then they make such a mess of things. It is hard to get the blood stains out.
Feudal society - we still live there, I'm afraid... Our livery is jeans, t-shirts, and ball caps with the bill turned backward. We pledge our liege to the company time card instead of a feudal lord. Not much has changed.

As to the matter at hand - multiple day trips mean a bigger battery. I have a 65 pound Werker 31MDC that will power my M-Series Pro through at least four nights - with pass-through (unheated) humidity only. I'm sorry to suggest too, that pocket solar arrays really won't do much more than trickle charge this type of deep-cycle battery - meaning it will take weeks to build back the charge, not hours. I wish there were an easy solution.

snoreless51

Post by snoreless51 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:13 pm

1960, I know the feeling.I hav'nt packed in years,but w/Dr wanting Me to lose some weight,and the way things are going;I plan to spend more time in places I enjoywhich don't include cities.The ocean is becomming more restrictive ie salmon and rock fish with MLPA closures,so it's time to visit the remote places again.I told Dr that for every 2-3lbs I lose I should be able to increase pack 1lb in weight.Horse can pack 150 lbs but remember 50 lbs will be feed for horse,due to weed free requirements in many areas.
For those of you that wish to go remote: There are packers who will pack you in to a base camp,and you can travel day trips from there.Have solar charger and extra batt in reserve.
My wife is very critical of my apnea,and if She feels I can do ok by poncho/hammock on incline i may try it.
USA camping Gear or something like that,has hammocks 1lb,use bag/blanket w/poncho for cover in recliner type position.
Mountain House ,Bear creek freeze dried foods etc can reduce weight,leave out tent,ultra light stove if fire is out, there are sites with lists for minimal gear and weight.
I forgot about Battery Geek, a 2lb batt is acceptable if there is no other way.

KirkC

Post by KirkC » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

I never knew of Battery Geek before, thanks for the suggestions

I poked around and here is what I found

Not too bad for weight at 4lbs 12oz http://www.batterygeek.net/v/vspfiles/S ... _222Wh.asp $435

Is it a custom Brunton Solar Roll? 1.8lbs http://www.batterygeek.net/product-p/solar_panel.htm $499

So it looks like the claims are the battery can last about two nights. They claim the solar panel can recharge the battery from completely dead in 8 hours.

So, maybe it is possible to charge it from half capacity to full in maybe 5 hours? Charge every day and have one night backup power left in case of bad weather?

Either way, I can't afford it anyways.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 am

I have a 24 foot travel trailer. We pretty much keep to sites with power so my cpap will travel along nicely. Just wanted to give a big hi ya to all campers in here!

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

JayC

Post by JayC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:52 am

I recently purchased a OW-12-C266 Compact Portable 12V Super CPAP Battery Pack 266 watt-hr from BestCPAPprice dot com out of Kentucky. Was free shipping, and $300. This appears to be better capacity than the similar sold at battery geek, and unless battery geek has alternative pricing, less money as well. Web site was helpful, and I called to place the order with a live person who answered my questions, and confirmed that I had correctly understood what I needed to run my ResMed APAP with battery power. I ordered monday and received FedEx wednesday evening.

I unpacked and plugged it in to charge. Just took a few hours, so I guess it was partially charged.

I used it 2 nights, then decided to charge it again. It charged for around 5.5 hours. It was completely expended this morning after better than 30 hours (closer to 35 hours) running APAP with 90 (or is it 95)% at or below 10 pressure. Several of my nights were better than 7 hours. I made sure to unplug APAP in the morning so there was no draw on the battery during the day.

While I would want to top off the battery if possible during a trip, I feel confident that I could do a long weekend of camping with no access to power. I don't know how fully depleting the battery affects it, but I'd do it if I must.

Now I can camp, take overnight flights and trains, and pretty much have more freedom than I did up until now. Feels good, even though I have only tested at home.......

Oh, this model 266 is also compatable with being recharged from solar power.......that set up is sold separately. At least I wouldn't have to get a new battery to take advantage of such technology....

J

KC5cychris

Post by KC5cychris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:26 pm

I am with PDEAN44
36footer and all the power I can use if I don't have a power post the power off the truck will keep the batteries charged for days

titrated pressure 10 current setting 12/15.5 autopap

REMEMBER THOSE WHO SERVED
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL