What's Out There Now for Mouth Breathers??

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
slabbandit

What's Out There Now for Mouth Breathers??

Post by slabbandit » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:21 pm

It's been too long since I have been online here, (2010). I have since moved up th a Bi-Level device but I am a serious mouth breather. I have tried full face masks but I wear a mustache and full beard. I also always always end up on my back during the night. I'm using a nasal mask now with a huge 4" elastic band around my head.
Please tell me what is available out there now. Masks, or more specifically mouth pieces.
Thanks,
Dave

JDS74

Re: What's Out There Now for Mouth Breathers??

Post by JDS74 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Dave:

What's out there is the Oracle 2 oral mask for Fisher-Paykel.

It is quite like the mouthpiece for scuba equipment and comes with a head strap (usage optional) and nasal plugs (usage optional as soon as you learn not to breath through your nose at night.)

Some have dificulty in dealing with this mask and high humidification is required as the usual mechanism of your nasal passages is completely bypassed.

With a beard and mustache you might have some problems adjusting the fit. The leaks are controlled by the inner flap of the mask and positioning by the outer flap. The distance between the two is adjustible. In your case, try to use the largest distance the mask will allow to accomodate the facial hair.

They are available on-line from our hosts and other On-line DME providers. Price ranges from about $80 to $100 depending on the source.

One caution though, do not ever use a chin strap with this mask. That combination will increase your OSA's significantly and the manufacturer mentions it in their literature.

Hope this is some help.

JDS74

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Julie

Re: What's Out There Now for Mouth Breathers??

Post by Julie » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:59 pm

I know someone (beard/mustache) who found the Forma FF a good fit...