IntelliPAP AutoAdjust, or ResMed S9 AutoSet?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BigM

IntelliPAP AutoAdjust, or ResMed S9 AutoSet?

Post by BigM » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:13 am

Hello,

If you have to pay from your own pocket, without a single cent from Insurance, which of the following APAP machine would you buy as a new CPAP user?

1) IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP Machine, or
2) ResMed S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine

Appreciate your frank advise as I am torn between both in my purchase decision.

I am aware the S9 is the current hot favorite in term of technology and design.
But the IntelliPAP AutoAdjust's specification seem just as good except that it does not come with EPR or similar feature.
The cost of the "Autoadjust + Humidifier" is also half the price of the "S9 + Humidifier".

Thanks in advance for your comment.

Best Regards,
Marcus

cflame1

Re: IntelliPAP AutoAdjust, or ResMed S9 AutoSet?

Post by cflame1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:46 am

Questions to be answered before giving an answer to this question...

What's your pressure?

What country are you in?

Buying online or at DME?

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:20 am

GOOD questions, CFlame.

BigM, if you opt to buy online I'd sure check out a Resmed S8 AutoSet II or even a Resmed S8 AutoSet Vantage, new or LIGHTLY used (check out the Serial Number and the total hours).

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

BigM

Post by BigM » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:36 am

Hello CFlame and Slinky,

Thank you for responding.

I am from Singapore. As far as I am aware, the medical insurance scheme here do not cover for CPAP.

In fact, I hv on hand a S9 autoset loaner from the loan ResMed dealer, however they put the machine on auto with the rest of setting lock up and I cannot get to any screen that tell me what pressure I am on.

Hv been using it for the past 6 nites with Swift LT Pillow, and so far my AHI reading every morning range from 1.5 to 2.0.
Exception is that I start to get block nose (sinus) with blood, for which other forum users suggested that I use a humidifier.

If I would to buy local, it would cost me approx US$1750 just for the APAP alone. With the humidifer, I think it is going to cost a bomb.

Hence, I having been reading this forum and searching the net for better deal, whereby, I realize the IntelliPAP and S9 Autoset are the two best APAP seller for CPAP.com.

Hv put both machine on comparison and they seem pretty alike in term of specification but one is definitely much cheaper than the other.
Hence, my post hoping for advise from fellow CPAP users.

Thanks,
Marcus

brain_cloud

Post by brain_cloud » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:38 am

Another factor is the software. The data available to you through the ResScan software using the S9 is much more detailed and flexible.

I'm not trying to talk you out of the IntelliPAP though. It's a nice machine. I found one used for only 12 hours for $250 on cpapauction.com, with smartlink module included, all packed up like new. So that's another place to look for deals.

cflame1

Post by cflame1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:45 am

you may also want to check about shipping... seems to me if I remember right CPAP dot com couldn't ship Resmed's directly to Canada, so not sure if they could to Singapore.

I think that the aussies had a way around that... some kind of a shipping service or something.

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 am

I have the S9 Autoset, and would chose that one, but I have never used the IntelliPap AutoAdjust. Unfortunately, there is no way to know how you will do with the IntelliPap unless you try it. EPR is essential for me, but you may be different. I would suggest doing a search in the forum, to see what users have said about it.

While getting the best value for your money is important....it is your health, so buy the best you can afford.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 am

The Philips Respironics System One Auto is not in the running?

It's a good machines, at least for me it is. I like the air delivery and the software. The Resmed has more detailed software but the System One gives me enough. Also, the System One gives me exhalation relief (A or C- Flex), similar to the EPR on the Resmed, if that's a consideration.

As far as price goes, it falls between the Resmed and the Intellipap.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Even though I am a generally happy ex-IntelliPAP user, I would cast my vote for the S9. It is a cadillac machine, with all sorts of therapy enhancing features-- FOT central apnea detector, heated hose, improved data collection, etc.

The IntelliPAP. if its therapy is adequate for your needs, it is a great little machine. Very portable, well thought-out features, adequate data reporting (but not like the S9). I am keeping that machine and selling my VPAP Auto 25. Its biggest weakness is its somewhat nonaggressive therapy, and their A-10 algorithm.

I guess I am lucky that I really do not need any kind of pressure relief. Although I find the VPAP Auto 25 to be very comfortable to breathe against (w/o pressure relief), I really had no issues with the IntelliPAP, either.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:02 pm

timbalionguy wrote:Its biggest weakness is its somewhat nonaggressive therapy, and their A-10 algorithm.
I believe that the S9 AutoSet uses a new algorithm. The ability to detect centrals means that the machine does not have to "back off" at pressures above 10.
jeff

BigM

Post by BigM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:55 am

Thank you all for the kind suggestions.

Do I need to purchase the ResMed software in order to fully utilize the S9 Autoset capability?
What data does the ResMed software provide that the Intellipap Smartcode does not reflect?

jdm2827 mentioned that the S9 Autoset new algorithium can detect Central?
How about Mixed Apnoeas? I do hv a fair bit of these detected in my Polysomnography Test.
Following are extract of my Sleep Test Result.

"Respiratory Analysis demonstrated 295 Obstructive Apnoeas and 63 Mixed Apnoeas and 3 Central Apnoeas with a total of 361 apnoeas. The APNOEA INDEX was 53.2 and AHI was 76.6."

Also, does any body know how the Intellipap Autoadjust react when encountering Central/ Mixed Apnoeas?

Thanks,
Marcus

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:39 am

BigM wrote:Thank you all for the kind suggestions.

Do I need to purchase the ResMed software in order to fully utilize the S9 Autoset capability?
What data does the ResMed software provide that the Intellipap Smartcode does not reflect?

Thanks,
Marcus
Marcus i sent you a PM

BigM

Post by BigM » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:05 pm

Hi Uncle Bob,

Can u resend me the PM. I can't locate it in my inbox....
Unfortunately I am not that technology savvy... couldn't figure out how to PM back to u.

Thanks,
Marcus

timbalionguy

Post by timbalionguy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:36 pm

JDM 2857, the comment I made about the A10 algorithm applied to the VPAP Auto 25. I know it does not exist in the S9 machines.

The IntelliAPA'a biggest weakness is in its ability to distinguish apneas, hypopnas and central-type events. Most events with this machine are hypopnas. An Apnea is only scored if the flow rate drops to >0 to 5 percent of baseline. Anything with no flow at all is scored as a 'NRI'. The thought is even a severe case of OSA, there will still be some slight air flow, as the throat is far less than a perfect valve. Central apneas by their nature should have zero flow. Thus, a zero flow event is considered a 'non-responding event' instead of an apnea, which it more likely is.

With this in mind, the IntelliPAP is reported to have a nonaggressive response to events. But it responds to all other events (exept for 0 flow apneas), such as snores, flow limitations, hypopnas, etc. the same way. Some people.iike myself, present a collection of breathing problems that the IntelliPAP cannot sort out. So the machine tends to have 'pressure runaways' with some people. Although annoying, I feel that the overly-aggressive therapy actually worked better for me that the supposedly-aggressive S8/VPAP series.

So although I like the IntelliPAP for travel etc. and as a backup machine, it does not work the way it really should. Especially with people that have something more than 'plain vanilla OSA'. Get the S9, if you can.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 pm

BigM wrote:Hi Uncle Bob,

Can u resend me the PM. I can't locate it in my inbox....
Unfortunately I am not that technology savvy... couldn't figure out how to PM back to u.

Thanks,
Marcus
Just below the cpaptalk.com icon - on the top left corner of this site - there should be a 'user control panel (x new messages)'. It should read '(1 new messages) - hit that link and it should navigate to your inbox folder with Bob's secret pm

I would also throw a vote to the S8 AutoSet II machine - if you get get one at affordable price on cpapauction.com, go for it. I just bought a second brand new S8 as backup a few months ago. In fact a colleague in HK is doing sleep test this Wed and if he's got OSA, I'll probably ship to him to use.