Am having Sinus problem after using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BigM

Am having Sinus problem after using CPAP

Post by BigM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm

Hello, I am from Singapore, new to CPAP and appreciate some advise.

I was recently diagnosed with OSA, and the local ResMed dealer provided me with a S9 Autoset loaner set for a month trial provided I bought a mask from them.
The Sales guy set the machine on auto for me, and I went home with the CPAP + a Swift LT Nasal Pillow mask.

My 1st nite (5 July) on CPAP is excellent. Have not woke up without a throbbing headache for quite some time
2nd nite (6 July) is still good. Although the nose is a bit sore. Guess I overtighten the headgear.
3rd nite (7 July), the feeling after waking up is not as good. Hv block nose (sinus???) for the morning and feel slightly sleepy by late afternoon.
4th nite (8 July), my block nose has worsen. Am seeing trace of blood in the mucus?! Is this normal?

What should I do? I am at a loss?

For your kind advise. Thanks in advance.

Marcus Lim
Singapore

kf10

Re: Am having Sinus problem after using CPAP

Post by kf10 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Welcome! There are a lot very knowledgeable CPAP users here can offer help for most of the problems I am a new user, visiting this forum help me gain a lot knowledge - more than I can get from the local technicians.

Are you using a humidifier? If yes, your setting could be set too high. Try change the settings and hopefully the sinus problem will go away.

Good luck.

BigM

Post by BigM » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Hello,

My loaner set does not come with a humidifier, and I sleep in an air-conditioned room as Singapore is a tropical country.
Will an humidifier solve my problem?

Regards,
Marcus

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 am

Yes a humidifier might solve the problem. Airconditioning dries out the air which then gets sent up your nose. the presure does create more of a drying effect. You are used to much more humidity then you are currently getting. Go back and get a humidifier and make sure you have a full face mask (if you don't have one) too so while you have blocked sinus you won't break your therapy by mouth breathing and losing air. The manufactures have a 30 return policy on masks so that shouldn't be a problem.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:47 am

Welcome to the forum, BigM! And congratulations on getting off to a good start with your cpap therapy. Congestion is a common problem in the beginning, and using a humidifier can help with this. Conversely, some people find that turning their humidifier down or off improves the congestion. Since you haven't used a humidifier, you're probably in the group that would benefit from having one. Start if off on the middle setting and go from there. I second BlackSpinner's suggestion to get a mask that allows mouthbreathing when you're congested--therapy can't work if the air can't get through your nose!