O/T 106 pounds lost and 34 to go.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joe50

Re: O/T 106 pounds lost and 34 to go.

Post by Joe50 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:50 am

OceanGoingGal wrote:Congratulations!!!! I had hoped that the cpap would help me lose. After 2 years I have not lost much, just about 12 lbs. Lately I have been going to the pool every day and spend an hour and more every day just pedalling my legs as I sit on my "noodle" I have finally noticed some loss. Living in Florida I can keep up the pool all year. Recently I was diagnosed with diabetes. The meds make me nauseous and I lose my apetite. A good thing..I guess. Once again, congratulations on your treffic loss. Good Job!!

Laura
You might want to get your hormone levels checked. My wife was just coasting along trying to lose the whopping 7 pounds that she wanted to lose but when she got her hormone levels all adjusted the pounds just fell off. I am a big beliver in HRT!

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks to everyone for the support

grady61

Post by grady61 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Joe50 wrote:
davecpap wrote:How did you accomplish this? I need to lose some significant weight. I was hoping the CPAP would give me the boost in energy needed to exercise!
I maintain my calories at about 1500 cals perday plus a weekly re-feed day on Wednesday when I up my calories to about 3000. I do this to make my body think I am not trying to starve it.
I adapted my diet to fit foods that I actually want to eat instead of rabbit food.
Then some time on the treadmill and some weights on a daily basis. My workouts last at the most 35 minutes. If you do extreme amounts of cardio like lots of people do your body will lock up and you will stop losing weight.
Bassically I did make it a lifestyle thing instead of just something to be endured.
thats terrific joe! but as far as the work out ritual goes not sure I completely agree with that. Ive ridden up to 3 hrs straight on an exercise bike but normally I ride the bike for 60-90 minutes then immediately walk between 2.5 -3.5 miles at a fast pace every day. Ive lost an excess of 130 lbs since august 2009. But I eat very few carbs but never starve myself ever. I guess if it works for you thats all that matters. Good job joe.

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:44 pm

grady61 wrote:
Joe50 wrote:
davecpap wrote:How did you accomplish this? I need to lose some significant weight. I was hoping the CPAP would give me the boost in energy needed to exercise!
I maintain my calories at about 1500 cals perday plus a weekly re-feed day on Wednesday when I up my calories to about 3000. I do this to make my body think I am not trying to starve it.
I adapted my diet to fit foods that I actually want to eat instead of rabbit food.
Then some time on the treadmill and some weights on a daily basis. My workouts last at the most 35 minutes. If you do extreme amounts of cardio like lots of people do your body will lock up and you will stop losing weight.
Bassically I did make it a lifestyle thing instead of just something to be endured.
thats terrific joe! but as far as the work out ritual goes not sure I completely agree with that. Ive ridden up to 3 hrs straight on an exercise bike but normally I ride the bike for 60-90 minutes then immediately walk between 2.5 -3.5 miles at a fast pace every day. Ive lost an excess of 130 lbs since august 2009. But I eat very few carbs but never starve myself ever. I guess if it works for you thats all that matters. Good job joe.
I don't have a problem with what you are doing either, but I personally don't want to spend that much time walking or sitting on a bike. I would rather do it by keeping my calories lower and the workout short but intense. As you said it is whatever works for you, I do however think you should try lowering the amount you do to see if you still lose weight at a normal rate. It does however seem to me that in your way of thinking, if you stop losing weight then that means even more time on the bike and walking. And if that fails you spend more time on the cardio trail until your body thinks you are trying to kill it and it decides to go into adaptation to starvation mode which means very little weight loss.

newyorknative

Post by newyorknative » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:40 pm

Has the weight loss affected your pressure level? Are you on less pressure?

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:00 pm

All I can say is WOW!! Congratulations, what an accomplishment that has to be. Good job!

rosie

grady61

Post by grady61 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am

'It does however seem to me that in your way of thinking, if you stop losing weight then that means even more time on the bike and walking. And if that fails you spend more time on the cardio trail until your body thinks you are trying to kill it and it decides to go into adaptation to starvation mode which means very little weight loss. '
No-Im on low carb and part of the reason(actually in the beginning that was the entire reason) is Im a diabetic that no longer takes insulin because I control my sugar levels thru the lo carb diet and exercise. That being said just the elimnation of breads etc in my diet was calorie reducing. Also my sugar levels didnt improve unless I included more exercise. So its not just a matter of weight for me either. More like loosing the weight was a side effect of controlling my diabetes thru diet and exercise. God works in strange ways-If I hadnt gotten diabetes I may not have been here posting because I may not have ever been on the no carb thing or exercised and dropped the weight.

roncron

Post by roncron » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:25 am

WOW! Great job, Joe!!! You should be proud of yourself. I am thoroughly convinced that shedding excess weight (along with staying reasonably active and eating reasonably well) will have a huge positive impact on our quality of life as we get older.

Yes, like others, I'm also interested in hearing whether your significant weight loss affects the pressure at which your cpap machine operates.

Best wishes and keep up the great work!

Ron C.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Joe,

Your achievement is a real inspiration & one that many can take note of. As Arnie says "You can do it !!!".

I am esp interested in your comments re how your weight loss impacts the pressure required to maintain your therapy. There may be a further simple lesson emerge from that feedback.

Just keep up your wonderfully inspirational effort.

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

mamaguinnie

Post by mamaguinnie » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm bumping this back to the first page because I, too, want to know what happened with his pressures. I've lost about 50 # in 6 or 7 months and have now started getting more air into my stomach. I believe my pressure needs to be reduced, but I have to wait until my Dr. appointment in August to have that done. Yeah, I'm getting educated on the right way to do it now. I'm going for a new data capable machine so I can take charge myself!

Maybe Joe will stop exercising long enough to come back to the forum and answer this burning question.

Joe50

Post by Joe50 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:56 am

So far it looks like the loss of weight has allowed me to bring my usual pressure of 17 down to 12.5 while maintaining an AHI of 2 but I am still tweaking it. For me this is wonderful becaue it was a total pain in the butt trying to keep the mask from leaking now that I do not have a fat face.
Now I a going to stay with that pressure for a week to see if there are any glitchies and if not I will start to drop it again.
I wish I had started do this a few months ago because I was trying to fix problems caused by the leaks from the high pressure. In other words the lower pressure stopped the leaks and made the other problems settle down.
If it means anything my neck measurement is about 16.5" now as opposed to above 19" when I started. I think that made a big difference.

Last edited by Joe50 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mamaguinnie

Post by mamaguinnie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Joe50 wrote:So far it looks like the loss of weight has allowed me to bring the my usual pressure of 17 down to 12.5 while maintaining an AHI of 2 but I am still tweaking it. For me this is wonderful becaue it was a total pain in the butt trying to keep the mask from leaking now that I do not have a fat face.
Now I a going to stay with that pressure for a week to see if their are any glitchies and if not I will start to drop it again.
I wish I had started do this a few months ago because I was trying to fix problems caused by the leaks from the high pressure. In other words the lower pressure stopped the leaks and made the other problems settle down.
If it means anything my neck measure ment is about 16.5" now as opposed to above 19" when I started. I think that made a big difference.
Good for you Joe! I thought you'd have reduced it. I've found the information on how to "hack into" my machine and re-set it to a lower pressure. I think I'll go ahead & do that myself before I see the Doctor. She'll be pissed, but then so am I. Oh well.