S9 Humidity and Temperature settings independent???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
empezza

S9 Humidity and Temperature settings independent???

Post by empezza » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:30 pm

When using the ResMed S9 plus H5i and ClimateLine hose does anybody know positively know if the humidity settings has any effect? Once the ClimateLine is attached you cannot access the humidity setting, only the temperature setting?

Still trying to solve my rainout problem. Yesterday all of the Resmed trial equipment was replaced, but that did not fix the rainout problem.

jmelby

Re: S9 Humidity and Temperature settings independent???

Post by jmelby » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 pm

If you change climate control from auto to manual, you can access the temperature and humidity settings independently. You may need to go into the clinical menu to set this if it is not currently set to allow patient control of climate control.

The climate control has worked very well for me on auto... I have never had rainout on my S9... ever.

(yet another Jeff)

locomotive_breath

Post by locomotive_breath » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:30 am

And I thought, if you connect the ClimateLine, always the humidity setting will be replaced by the temperature setting ... (Climate Control = Auto)

I had Rainout Issues too while trying various temperature settings from 18 to 28 degrees Celsius. Lower was better, less wet.
Now I use 16 degree setting. Ok.
(even lower, Temp = OFF is too dry indeed)

[edit: for me this 16° is ok probably with the standard setting(?) of humidity = 3,
turning Climate Control to Manual and, say, humidity to 2 (or 4??) would probably reflect the temperature range more properly ]
Machine: S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine
Humidifier: S9™ Series Humidaire H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Mask: F&P FlexiFit407 nasal
Software: ResScan 3.11

empezza

Post by empezza » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Success - no rainout last night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After consulting the ResMed Clinical Manual,I discovered on Page 17-Managing Climate Control - that you can turn off Climate Control Auto.
You then have the option to set humidity and temperature independently. I set the humidity at 2 and the temperature at 25. I got up twice during the night and when I checked my mask - no rainout!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does state however that this setting could also cause rainout but hey, it's worth a try.

This might not work for everyone but my Clinician has been at a loss as to why I was suffering rainout on previous settings. She contacted Res Med and they were also at a loss to explain it. She mentioned that I could be one of those people that didn't need a humidifier.

My nose has cleared up too( was stuffy all the time). Not sure if this was due to my GP giving me a 5 day course of antibiotics for a bacteria infection that he suspected might have been causing the problem. I have had this problem for a month since I started on the ResMed S9 machine.

Slept better too for the first time in a while.

Hope this helps some others out there.

Wave

Kevin G.

Post by Kevin G. » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:32 pm

My perception is that the automatic swtting is effective in preventing rain out. The problem is that when the humiddity is very low I end up with a dry nose even with the humidification level set at 6. In these situations I will change the setting with the temperature set lower to create some light rain out.

While this makes sense to me I would like to understand the logic of the ResMed algorithim.

papnapper

Post by papnapper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:26 am

Resmed have just told me that the Auto mode for climate control should maintain humidity output from the hose at 80% regardless of outside humidity. I'm not sure if a comfy temperature goes along with that as I haven't tried it until tonight.
You may have to bow from the ankles to get permission to switch between Auto/Manual but as a newbie I have found everyone in this field very helpful

greg-g

Post by greg-g » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:48 am

I Think this device may well be worth giving a try
http://www.padacheek.com/PACSwiftII_Barrel_cozy.html
It's a PadaCheek Barrel cozy that should keep the barrel warmer and reduce the condensation

papnapper

Post by papnapper » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:12 am

Resmed have just told me that the Auto mode for climate control should maintain humidity output from the hose at 80% regardless of outside humidity. I'm not sure if a comfy temperature goes along with that as I haven't tried it until tonight.
You set what you perceive as a comfy temperature. The figure of relative humidity at 80% is meant to avoid "rainout" in all conditions. If nose or mouth dryness is experienced then you need to turn off Climate Control and tweak humidity / temp.