donating a used cpap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ds

donating a used cpap

Post by ds » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:10 am

I have a used Remstar/ pro cpap that I'd like to donate to someone who can't afford to buy one. The DMA company who supplied me with the machine doesn't take back used machines,nor does Respironics, but they suggested I post this on this site. I'd love to give it to someone who needs it.

Wulfman

Re: donating a used cpap

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:19 am

It might help if you would register as a member of the forum. That way, people can send you private messages (PMs). Otherwise there's no (safe) way for people to be able to get in touch with you directly.

Den
Last edited by Wulfman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:30 am

Another option is to check w/your local sleep labs and w/VNA.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

abbadavis

Post by abbadavis » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:23 pm

I am so much inspired from your thought. I also have used cpap and after using it I have just thrown it to the dustbin but after reading your post I realize that I should not throw it. Any ways from now I will see that my equipments will not be wasted and I will give to the people who really needs it but can not afford it.

juanbkm

Post by juanbkm » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 am

Hi,

If it's possible would you consider it to the group that I just started with some friends of mine? We started a project called "The Breathe Initiative" (http://www.breatheinitiative.org). Our goal is to basically provide help to patients here in the Philippines who have no access to breathing equipment such as cpaps, bipaps and ventilators.

It's sad to say that our country doesn't have the adequate health care system in place to help it's citizens cope with medical equipments such as these. Most of the equipments used by patients are bought out of pocket. I can speak from experience since I've been on a BiPAP machine for more than 12 years due to a neuromuscular disease. All of my machines have been bought out of pocket and it's been quite a financial burden. Most of the money I make from working goes to medical equipment. Hence I'm 32 yrs old and I still live with my parents. Not that it's bad. It's actually common here but I just wanted to illustrate how difficult it is. This is saying a lot considering I already come from a middle-class family. A lot of people here aren't so lucky. They live on less than $300 a month. So having access to medical equipment is really difficult.

I hope that you'd consider donating the used equipment to us. What we intend to do with the equipment that gets donated to us is that we'll find a patient that needs it. It will get "assigned" to them for however long they need it. The provision is that if they don't need it anymore, whether they outgrow it or something it gets returned to us so that another patient can use it.

Both I and the people I'm working with on this project have been in one way or another affected by breathing disorders. I suffer from a neuromuscular disorder, while the others have children with a breathing disorder that necessitates the children being on a ventilator. So we know how difficult it is to live with something like this. Nevertheless we still consider ourselves lucky because by one way or another we were able to get equipment and help for it. We want to give back.

If you're open to this please let me know.

Thanks,

Juan Magdaraog
http://www.fightpompe.com
http://www.breatheinitiative.org
http://www.psod.org.ph

davecpap

Post by davecpap » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:26 pm

I'd also like to hear some other ideas of where to send gently used equipment. Awake in America isn't accepting any donations right now.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 pm

davecpap wrote:I'd also like to hear some other ideas of where to send gently used equipment. Awake in America isn't accepting any donations right now.
I can't believe no one on this forum has responded to you and sent you a PM requesting it.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

elena88

Post by elena88 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 pm

I bet you can use masks too? just about any accessories?

I dont have an extra mask, but if I did I would send it along to you..

I bet there are some folks here who might be able to do that..

juanbkm

Post by juanbkm » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:57 pm

elena88 wrote:I bet you can use masks too? just about any accessories?

I dont have an extra mask, but if I did I would send it along to you..

I bet there are some folks here who might be able to do that..
hi,

were you referring to the post i made? yes we accept not just machines but other accessories to go with it. please let me know if you would like to donate any.

thanks

Juan

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:49 am

wulfman: it is time for you to delete: http://www.awakeinamerica.org/
This org has not been accepting donation of CPAP for months!

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:01 am

cpapernewbie wrote:wulfman: it is time for you to delete:..........................
This org has not been accepting donation of CPAP for months!
OK. I edited and deleted it from my first post........now you can edit your post and delete it, too.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 pm

We have a lodge in Cuba that we send medical supplies and glasses to each month or so. Never thought about CPAP/APAP machines but now that I think about it I am sure that they would be gratefully accepted and faithfully applied. I can be reached by email at jjachin2 at yahoo dot com. Thanks.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

davecpap

Post by davecpap » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:13 pm

Who else accepts donations? I tried contacting the Reggie White Foundation, no reply.

I got a machine in 2002 but only used it a couple nights and its been sitting in the closet ever since. Its a DeVilbiss 9000D, and its in pristine shape. I turned it on and the unit has approximately 40 hours on it. Would this still be of use to anyone? I have a cold-air humidifier and a ResMed Ultra Mirage II which also looks brand new despite its age.

Hospiceangel

Post by Hospiceangel » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Hey,
I talked to Mark at http://www.secondwindcpap.com and they are working with sleep apnea association to help people who can't afford a machine. They are happy to take donations. They are really easy to work with-I bought the Intellipap (new) from them. Mark is the owner. He has been a Resp. Therapist for over 20 years.
Shar:)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow M Radmacher
It is better, to believe in something passionately even if it is wrong, than to believe in nothing at all C Hoong

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:14 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:We have a lodge in Cuba that we send medical supplies and glasses to each month or so. Never thought about CPAP/APAP machines but now that I think about it I am sure that they would be gratefully accepted and faithfully applied. I can be reached by email at jjachin2 at yahoo dot com. Thanks.
I just wanted to point out tha Americans are going to have a bit of difficulty trying to send anything to Cuba. Not so much for Canadian, however.
jeff