New VPAP Specifically For COPD ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Slinky

New VPAP Specifically For COPD ???

Post by Slinky » Mon May 06, 2013 10:40 am

http://www.rtmagazine.com/products/1893 ... -for-copd/
Published on Wednesday, 01 May 2013 13:47
The VPAP COPD, a new bilevel PAP (positive air pressure) device from ResMed, is designed to help COPD patients maintain their ventilation by customizing the breath delivered to the patient with a rapid inhalation phase and allows an extended exhalation, according to the company.

Built on the ResMed S9 Series platform, the compact VPAP COPD device can be combined with the companion H5i heated humidification device to create a comfortable patient experience.

"Many stage 3 or stage 4 COPD patients are admitted to the hospital two to three times a year because of their condition, and hospital discharge planners need ways to reduce that figure with better at-home respiratory care," said Geoff Neilson, president of ResMed's Respiratory Care business unit.

"Minimizing the likelihood of acute events that lead to readmissions starts at the point of discharge, sending patients home with the best tools like ResMed's VPAP COPD to help them breathe better when their lungs have been damaged by the disease."
If someone has already posted this info, please accept my apologies. I haven't been around much the last few months.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Wulfman...

Re: New VPAP Specifically For COPD ???

Post by Wulfman... » Mon May 06, 2013 11:08 am

Slinky wrote:I haven't been around much the last few months.
Yeah, I've noticed. Hope you're well and doing OK. Good to see you posting.

Best wishes and take care.

Den

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon May 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Thanks, Den. Yep. I've been doing pretty good. Did have to finally agree to some prednizone every other morning for the COPD. I was getting to the point what it took more effort than it was worth to go to a doctor appointment. The pred is making all the difference, much as I hated to cave in and start it.

DUH! My apologies for the duplicate post. Sheesh! And then I reported the duplicate as Spam rather than using the Delete button. Double and triple duh! Time to crawl back in my hole methinks.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Good to see you Slinky! Don't go crawling anywhere but here! I fought like hell not to put Mike on Prednisone 5mg daily for his Polymyalgia Rheumatica but it keeps him from having flareups and doesn't appear to be having any side effects. When we tried to wean him down to 4mgs he had a flareup so the Dr said he'll be on it forever. I like the idea of every other day maintenance if it works and will speak to our Dr about it. That way the full dosage leaves your system every other day. How did your Dr explain it to you?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Mon May 06, 2013 8:40 pm

The explanation was so long ago I've forgotten, DoriC. I've fought any form of steroid including steroid inhalers due to glaucoma (which has been well and easily kept under control w/eye drops). But I knew the time had come to give in and follow doctor's advice due to severe reduction in "exercise" tolerance, ie. walking from house to car, car to waiting room, waiting room to exam room and vice versa. I had to sit for longer and longer time to recover to 95% saturation and I will not drive under 95% altho supposedly anything above 90% is okay. There are no portable concentrators able to provide 4L continuous flow and I just have never done well on pulse flow. Once I was upped to 4L the B tanks didn't last long enough given the distance from our house to my doctors' offices and the doggone D tanks are heavy beasts to carry around. I bought a walker w/a basket to hold the 02 tank or even 2 of them but just getting the walker in and out of the car was as tiring as just walking and carrying the doggonee D tank. I'm delighted to hear that the pred is working so well for Mike! That is encouraging. (((hugs))) to the both of you.