Introduction newbie and Bipap Machine Question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepapnea123

Introduction newbie and Bipap Machine Question

Post by sleepapnea123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I have been browsing the forums for around a month and a half now, mining for knowledge. First of all thank you guys for the great topics and help for getting me setup on the Encore Basic software. I would like to introduce my sleep apnea story .

I was diagnosed with Severe Sleep Apnea (around 88 AHI) and consequently setup on an apap, pressure 15-20, and initially a Quattro full face Mask. I had severe nose bruising problems and leaking issues. I was subsequently changed to a hybrid mask (I forget the model), but could'nt get the leak under control. Basically I was up all night fiddling with the masks. Being a heavy mouth breather, I researched some and finally got the Oracle 452 mask. Well long story short, the Mask is working well, no leaks at all and the drooling is a minor inconvenience. I used to average 14-20 AHI with the previous masks, and now have been consistently averaging 7-8 AHI.

This brings me to the question. My sleep doc has assigned a bipap titration sleep study for me to get the AHI further under control. I needed your expert suggestions on which Bipap machine is good, and if you have any suggestions in general.

Sorry for the long posts guys, been meaning to introduce myself and thanking everyone for the great help and support on this forum.

Thanks!

Slinky

Re: Introduction newbie and Bipap Machine Question

Post by Slinky » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:43 pm

Since you already have the PR SystemOne integrated humidifier you might as well go for the PR SystemOne BPAP Auto. I have one and it does a nice job.

I tend to prefer the Resmeds but have not had the opportunity to use the Resmed S9 VPAP Auto. I do have and like my Resmed S8 VPAP Auto.

But if I were in your situation I would go for the PR S1 BPAP Auto. As I said, I have one and like it quite well.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:44 pm

I can't believe you even tried a hybrid mask at pressure 15-20. Very tough on the nose.

A bilevel titration is an excellent idea. The aPAP you have will only go as high as 20. If you are using the auto function and not getting your AHI below 5, then you need more pressure. And more pressure means you really need bilevel machine.

I just got a bilevel and the choice was easy. I already had the ResMed H5i Humidifier and ClimateLine hose. So just got the machine by itself. A lot cheaper than buying a while new system for a different brand.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:18 pm

sleepapnea123 wrote:My sleep doc has assigned a bipap titration sleep study for me to get the AHI further under control. I needed your expert suggestions on which Bipap machine is good, and if you have any suggestions in general.
Hi,

This is good news. At pressures of 15 or more, you really want to be on BiPAP. There are two really good series of machines that are commonly available. One is the Respironics PR System One, and the other is the ResMed S9 VPAP. I have older versions of each (Respironics M-Series BiPAP Auto and ResMed S8 VPAP S 25). Both machines work very well. I think the Respironics machine machine gives slightly better treatment, but the ResMed machine is much smoother to breathe with. I believe that the newer models are improved over what I have, and both are excellent machines.

-john-

sleepapnea123

Post by sleepapnea123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:55 am

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like it would make sense to go with the PR system one Bi Level machine based on the comments. I was curios whats the experience going from APAP to Bipap? What are the major changes that require getting used to or is it easier than APAP?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 am

There are straight Bipaps and Auto Bipaps; you want an Auto, since you have been using APAP.
I have heard only praise from those changing from APAP to BIPAP (Auto Bipaps seem to have the edge.)

Xney

Post by Xney » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Having pressure differences when you're breathing takes some getting used to, in my experience.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:17 pm

sleepapnea123 wrote:I was curios whats the experience going from APAP to Bipap? What are the major changes that require getting used to or is it easier than APAP?
Hi,

I started on BiPAP, so I didn't go through a transition. It should be easier to breathe on BiPAP since the exhale pressure is lower-- the machine doesn't fight you when breathing out. The real difference is that the machine ramps up in pressure very quickly just as you start to inhale. That can feel funny if you are not used to it. Some folks tend to fight the machine or get thrown off of their breathing rhythm by that, especially when first getting started.

If you trust the machine and just breathe normally, it will all work out. However, that is a lot easier for me to say than it might be to do on your first night. Once you fall asleep, your breathing pattern will smooth out and you will naturally work with the machine. The trick on the first night is getting to the point where you fall asleep that first time.

-john-

sleepapnea123

Post by sleepapnea123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:22 pm

jweeks wrote:
sleepapnea123 wrote:I was curios whats the experience going from APAP to Bipap? What are the major changes that require getting used to or is it easier than APAP?
The trick on the first night is getting to the point where you fall asleep that first time.

-john-
I think that is what I was wondering about, how I would react to the sudden changes in pressure. I will definitely keep this advice in mind!!

Xney

Post by Xney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:56 pm

Best advice is to just try and ignore it, rather than paying attention to the pressure changes.