does mouth breathing effect show up in data?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
soulofwit

does mouth breathing effect show up in data?

Post by soulofwit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:43 pm

I've read a lot about on here about how mouth breathing can negatively affect one's data. If I have low AHI's (in the 1.5 range on average) and an average median leak rate of 0.0 and 95% at around 8.5, does that mean I don't need to worry about mouth breathing, even though I often wake up in the morning with a dry mouth? If you're mouth breathing, does that mean that your data is inaccurate?

In other words, if your AHI's are good and your leak rate is relatively good (is 95% at 8.5 relatively good??) does that mean that you don't need to worry about mouth breathing?

Sorry I did a horrible job of explaining what I mean, but hopefully someone out there knows what I'm trying to get at! Thanks!

Hawthorne

Re: does mouth breathing effect show up in data?

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:11 pm

Are you using a full face mask? Some who use these have dry mouth issues and need to up their humidity.

Your numbers look very good so I am not sure you are mouthbreathing, especially if you are using a full face mask.

It would help people here to help you if you would fill in your equipment (machine, mask and humidifier) using "control panel" - upper left of the forum page. It would be best if you used text instead of icons then we know right away what you have and don't need to click on a picture.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:30 pm

If using a nasal mask, mouth breathing or mouth leaks will show up in your leak numbers... it may not be enough to consider high leak, but the dry mouth is another sign. If you have the software, you can see if you have periods of leak vs. other periods of none--that could be a sign of mouth breathing or leaking especially if accompanied by a dry mouth. If you are using a Resmed machine, you will also want to be sure that the right mask type is selected... if you are wearing a nasal mask but the machine is set to full face, your leak will be under-reported... the Resmed machines take the expected ventilation rate out of the number based on the mask type.

(yet another Jeff)

soulofwit

Post by soulofwit » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks, guys. Sorry for not being more clear. I've updated my profile to include equipment info.

I am using a Swift FX nasal pillow. I checked the machine and it is set to nasal pillows.

In looking at my leak data, there are periods of no leak and periods of leak vs a consistent leak all the way through the night. But again, if my median leak rate is 0.0, does it really matter if I'm mouth breathing sometimes in the night?

jmelby

Post by jmelby » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am

soulofwit wrote: But again, if my median leak rate is 0.0, does it really matter if I'm mouth breathing sometimes in the night?
No... if your leak is that low, it is probably not affecting your therapy, but it may be causing you discomfort due to the dry mouth. I was in a similar situation--my leak was low but I still woke up with a dry mouth sometimes, so I started using a PapCap chin strap and that issue went away. Again, this has more to do with my own comfort than it being a problem with treatment.

(yet another Jeff)

donnafowler

Post by donnafowler » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Also, if you are breathing through your mouth, having a dry mouth can lead to dental problems. If you are taking any medications, you may want to check them, as some cause dry mouth as a side effect. Just some things to think about.

larry63

Post by larry63 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 am

I have a somewhat related question. I've not yet been able to get my old Win XP booted up in a Linux VM, so at the moment I can't view my data other then that leak rates are sometimes a bit high.

I too would like to find out if I'm mouth-breathing.

Well the actual question is this: Wouldn't it make sense that almost everyone that uses CPAP would have a dry mouth, because their tongue is forming and airtight seal against the roof or the mouth, thus blocking off saliva flow to the from on the mouth?

Or am I wrong - are theer salivary glands maybe under the tongue for example?
-- Speep study---
AHI = 56.4, RDI = 56.4
breakdown: 5.9 apnea, 0.2 central, 50.6 hyponpea, avg duration 20 sec.
AHI back=77.7, side=0.8 prone = 58.2
O2 desat min 83%, 40.3 min or desat < less then 91%

Geminidream

Post by Geminidream » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:43 am

I have often wondered about this too. I have very good numbers all the way around, but I am aware that there are times when I mouth breath for a while at night. I have a dry mouth and my other half has commented on it. I just switched from the Swift LT to the Swift FX. Its a lot more comforable and seems to be even better for my sleep. But occasionally I still have a mouth breathing night....mostly after I have been drinking or had a very long day. Since its not affecting my therapy, I have not been terribly concerned. I can live with the occasional dry mouth effect..... I will just keep an eyen on my numbers and how I feel to measure whether this is becoming a problem or not.