Stupid Health Care Providers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Laurie1041

Re: Stupid Health Care Providers

Post by Laurie1041 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 pm

MerlinSeuss wrote:I got my CPAP machine last Saturday and I have the Swift FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask. It’s a really great mask and I like it. The only problem is that I open my mouth while I sleep. I didn’t do this when I had my sleep study done, but I’ve done it almost 100% for two nights, and then who knows how much the other nights.

I decided that it would be easier to get a full-face mask instead of using the Swift FX pillows. I call the place that I got CPAP machine from and explain to them my situation (that I open my mouth while I sleep). They told me they won’t replace my mask for another two weeks and that I need to get used to my mask.

That’s the stupidest thing I have ever heard of. First, it’s not like all of a sudden I’m going to “get used” to my mask and stop breathing through my mouth. Second, it runs me awfully close to my 30-day replacement thing they told me about (Maybe that’s their plan).

Does anyone know if the replacement is something Resmed (Manufacture) does, or is the 30-day replacement something the place you get the mask from does? It seems almost everyone offers this. Maybe I can try complaining to Resmed too if the 30-day is a manufacture thing.

It’s frustrating on the stupidity on the place that I got it from. My insurance covers replacements on all consumables (mask, hoses, etc.) 100%, every three months.

The only threat I have left is that my wife needs a CPAP machine and she hasn’t gotten hers. I can at least tell the place, “Replacement my mask or we aren’t getting her machine here”.

Merlin
I have been told on this site that it can take several mask changes to find the one that is most comfortable. Having said that, I would try some of the suggestions that have been offered to you on this site - taping or chin strap before you give up on the Swift FX. I have gone through 4 masks within roughly 25 days and none have been as comfortable as the Swift FX. I have some issues with the Swift FX, but I am trying all suggestions before I toss it out. A new mask may create more problems than what you currently have now.

There is absolutely NO reason that you should have to wait 2 weeks to get an exchange on a mask. There is no law, no clinical rationale behind this bunch of rubbish. If you are absolutely positive that the Swift FX is not going to work for you, then you have every righrt to go to your DME's office and firmly tell them exactly what you want. You simply don't leave until they solve the issue. This helps set the tone for future engagements with your DME that you are not one to be bamboozled. Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

If you are sure that you want to switch out to a FFM, if you have not already done so, I recommend that you review each FFM on the internet and read reviews. This may help give you an idea of the pros and cons of each mask. But certainly, if the Swuft FX works for you with the exception of your mouth relaxing, try the tips and tricks suggested by other members. I wish you all the best. Laurie

donnafowler

Post by donnafowler » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Is your mouth falling open because you are relaxing, or is the air just blowing through your lips with your jaw shut? My mouth stays closed, but the air leaks through my lips, so I mostly use tape because it works for me, BUTyou might try polygrip denture adhesive on your lips to stick them together, or the denture strips (which actually work better than the stuff in the tube for me--I just cut them into pieces and stick my lips together when I don't want to use tape. I don't think this would work if you are opening your jaw though.

Bons

Post by Bons » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:24 pm

Merlin,
It took me all of two days to get a mask from cpap.com - I ordered it early in the morning and it was shipped the same day. They will contact your doctor for you to get the prescription by fax if you can provide them their fax number.
I would do that today, and in the morning call your insurance company to see what their procedure is for terminating with one DME and switching to another, or if they will reimburse you for an online purchase. Since your pap is a rental, you should be able to do that. Only problem with purchasing a mask online is that unless you purchase insurance, you can't exchange it like you are supposed to be able to with a DME.
My insurance company has had no problem with my switching. Before the end of this month I just have to take my pap back and then pick one up from my new DME, when I get the script from my doctor. I've been wanting to do it all along, but after my ridiculous telephone argument today with the therapist over which machine I'm on, because her records show and therefore she was trying to convince me that I'm on a PR system one auto bipap, I've reached my limit. I told her that I'll bring my bipap asv advanced in to show her what I'm using, and that I'll leave it on her desk when I leave.

MerlinSeuss

Post by MerlinSeuss » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I decided to write a letter to the president of the company. Sometimes you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. I wrote the letter in such a way, that after he’s finished reading it, he should go, “Hey, wait, he just slammed me really bad”.

I own my business, so I signed it with my official title and company name, I figure it’s one thing to have someone complain, but another to have a president of a different company tell you that you suck. If not, oh, well.

We’ll see what happens from here. I called my insurance company and they said there’s no big deal of switching providers. They gave me the procedure to handle everything. It might take a few days to go through all the paper work and such.

I guess I’ll be taping it up tonight.

Merlin