Leak Rate with Swift FX

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
asylvia

Leak Rate with Swift FX

Post by asylvia » Sun May 23, 2010 8:51 am

so i just got my swift FX. i switched over from an activa LT which i liked, but figured for the summer months i could use something that doesn't cover a lot of my face (the activa has been making my face sweaty with the warmer weather). anyways, with the activa i had a leak between 0 and .1 L/s. with the FX my leak is more like .25-.3 L/s. i'm using the medium pillows.

do you guys have any suggestions on how to get this leak lower? should i try the larger or smaller pillows? any suggestions would be great. thanks!

Taylorzzz

Re: Leak Rate with Swift FX

Post by Taylorzzz » Sun May 23, 2010 9:31 am

I have had 3 nights with the swift FX medium pillows now. First night was great, the next two here hard with bad leak numbers.
I have been getting some good advice/tips in my "Leak numbers" thread.
Good luck!

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun May 23, 2010 11:13 am

I have a very consistent leak rate ( a very good one) using the Swift FX. I use a Philips Respironics machine so go by the vent rate in the mask manual.

I don't do anything special to get a good leak rate because I don't need to.

I used the small pillows in the Swift LT and seem to be better with the medium in the Swift FX.

Using a different size (smaller or larger) MAY help some with the leak rate.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 am

i think i'm going to give the size large pillows a shot tonight. i've been trying to keep the headgear a bit loose as i've read that having it too tight can cause leaks as well. maybe i should try tightening it up a bit?

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Sun May 23, 2010 11:59 am

Loose straps, with the FX, feels just too loose for me. I keep the straps snug but not tight.

I use PadaCheek pads for the strap (don't like the ones that come with the FX) and have no marks on my face so it is not really "tight".

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

Nord

Post by Nord » Sun May 23, 2010 1:50 pm

asylvia wrote:i think i'm going to give the size large pillows a shot tonight. i've been trying to keep the headgear a bit loose as i've read that having it too tight can cause leaks as well. maybe i should try tightening it up a bit?
Masks are different for everybody... and every mask is different including moving from LT to FX.

You need to spend time experimenting with strap positions especially with the FX because the pillows do not rotate.
The opening size, position, differences, style of the Nares all contribute... you can't tell w/o trying.
I find the LT pillows collapse easier than the FX but you still have to be careful when tightening.
But... as Hawthorne says... they have to be snug to work.
Experiment until you give up... then go back in a couple of days... it can be worth it.

Nord

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Sun May 23, 2010 2:13 pm

And sometimes...... the mask is not suited for you, as was the FX for me. I'm beginning to think a pug nose is required in order to achieve a good seal with pillow masks. The angle to which the pillows point is a joke for those with nostrils that are actually at the bottom of the nose, not semi-lifted like porky the pig.

Nord

Post by Nord » Sun May 23, 2010 3:02 pm

Maple Leaf wrote:And sometimes...... the mask is not suited for you, as was the FX for me. I'm beginning to think a pug nose is required in order to achieve a good seal with pillow masks. The angle to which the pillows point is a joke for those with nostrils that are actually at the bottom of the nose, not semi-lifted like porky the pig.
Are you saying all us FX users... look like Porky the Pig... ???

Nord

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 pm

Nord wrote: Are you saying all us FX users... look like Porky the Pig... ???
LOL, no, sorry it came across that way. I just can't seem to get the pillows to sit vertical enough to get a proper seal.

Nord

Post by Nord » Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Maple Leaf wrote:
Nord wrote: Are you saying all us FX users... look like Porky the Pig... ???
LOL, no, sorry it came across that way. I just can't seem to get the pillows to sit vertical enough to get a proper seal.
Yup... I know... just couldn't pass the opportunity.
I agree that the pillow is more difficult to sit properly... I'm still trying it out for the second time around on this mask.
I have moved the silicone strap forward more so that the pillow is more flat and it is working better for both seal and slippage.
I'm not in love with the mask... but it has some benefits that I like and am trying to take advantage.
I have found that this mask causes me to mouth-breath more. There is less volume and somewhat more resistance to flow than Nasal's.
The jury is still out for me...

Nord

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Sun May 23, 2010 4:42 pm

I have a leak rate of about 0.04 with the Swift FX. I wear the top silicone strap slightly lose and the velcro straps snug but not tight. I kind of push gently in the outside middle of the outside cushion as a final step. I do find it very comfortable and it is my favorite mask. I did have the inside layer of one of the nasal pillows collapse on me one night and I had to turn on the light and fix it, as it was leaking like crazy until I fixed it.

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

Lou Cypher

Post by Lou Cypher » Sun May 23, 2010 4:45 pm

Nord wrote:
Maple Leaf wrote:And sometimes...... the mask is not suited for you, as was the FX for me. I'm beginning to think a pug nose is required in order to achieve a good seal with pillow masks. The angle to which the pillows point is a joke for those with nostrils that are actually at the bottom of the nose, not semi-lifted like porky the pig.
Are you saying all us FX users... look like Porky the Pig... ???

Nord
If the snout fits, you know the rest...... LOL

Sorry , it just struck me funny .......

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Sun May 23, 2010 5:28 pm

i did notice the first time i fit it i had the top strap too far forward. i realized this because i had to tighten it so much that i was almost on the last notch on the fitting mechanism. i moved it back on my head a bit and now i'm more in the middle. i just couldn't accept the fact that my head was that small! lol.

asylvia

Post by asylvia » Mon May 24, 2010 9:34 am

large pillows actually were worse than the mediums.....maybe i'll try smalls next

engransan106

Post by engransan106 » Tue May 25, 2010 7:13 am

AndrewB wrote:
I also use the nasal pillows on the Swift FX mask.

A couple of problems that I've had include putting the mask on upside down (yes it is possible) and also with the inner layer of the nasal pillows inverting. Both of these caused an increase in leakage (I just look at the display on the unit).

Other issues I've had have been with poor placement of the pillows or them getting shoved away from my face when I lay on my side.

I've had the unit for a bit over a month now and have gotten used to checking for / adjusting so that these issues aren't a problem.
=============================================================================================================

My new FX had worked great for a couple of weeks so I was very disappointed when the leaks got out of control. After reading Andrews comment I immediately checked my mask. Sure enough I had cleaned it and reassembled it upside down. Thanks Andrew.
This mask is the best I have used including the Swift II and the Liberty.
Engransan