I hear myself breathing in and so does my husband.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tammyv

I hear myself breathing in and so does my husband.

Post by tammyv » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:31 am

Ok the first night I didn't hear anything and I woke up feeling soooo darn good. The rest of the week I have had other issues and now my husband and I both hear me breathing in through the cpap. Not exhaling but taking in air. We have also heard my snoring occasionally. I know I am not feeling as refreshed as I had before. Any ideas anyone? Huggs~ Tammy

rubymom

Re: I hear myself breathing in and so does my husband.

Post by rubymom » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 am

Some nights I hear myself when I'm falling asleep and marvel at how when I wake up in the morning and just lie there in the quiet I can hear nothing.

You might want to check that your hose is properly connected both at the machine and at the connector. Also make sure that the humidifier is properly seated. Sometimes those things contribute to the noise.

As for hearing snoring, you should probably talk to your DME or doctor. It's possible that your pressure is set too low to prevent the events.

Birddog

Post by Birddog » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:00 pm

I hear mine too it's coming from the machine.I cover it with a pillow on my headboard and it quiets down. Alot of people have said put it under the bed so you don't hear it but i like it to draw air without dust bunnies running to it.

echo

Post by echo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:13 pm

If you're still snoring with the mask+CPAP then probably your pressure is not high enough. You need to work with your doctor/DME or get a data capable machine + software so that you can track your progress yourself.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

tammyv

Post by tammyv » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:38 pm

I ended up purchasing the cpap machine and the reason is my Cobra runs out next month and I decided to purchase while I had the coverage. I amgoing to call the place tommarow and let them know Im snoring.. I havent slept with the hubby for a year and now it may come to end again.. No, I will take this under control.

echo

Post by echo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 am

There are ways to do self-titration even without a data capable machine though you are really 'flying blind' so to speak. Bump up your pressure in small increments (0.2cm or 0.5cm) and stay at the pressure for at least a week - very carefully track how you're feeling, have your hubby look/hear for leaks and snoring.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

rubymom

Post by rubymom » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 am

Ahh! It's 2:52 a.m. and I'm lying here listening to myself breathe. A thought occurred to me that perhaps your pillow is contributing to the sound? I can sometimes hear myself breath due to the fact that the vents in my mask are blowing against my pillowcase. If I rearrange my pillow so that there's not contact with the mask, it's better. Sometimes. Not always.

This is one of those CPAP nights that feels like a struggle. Some are so good and so easy. And some aren't. I think it's about 1 out of every 5 nights is a struggle.

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:18 am

Pretend you are at the beach, and it's the sound of surf lulling you to sleep.

I get up earlier than my wife, and she says she can't sleep after I'm gone because she can't hear me breathing.

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 am

Some nights I hear myself when I'm falling asleep and marvel at how when I wake up in the morning and just lie there in the quiet I can hear nothing.
I have the same experience--my machine and breathing seem so loud when I go to bed, but so quiet when I wake, even at a much higher pressure. I have no idea why, and I'm interested to find an explanation. Anybody know????
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Slidellian

Post by Slidellian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:11 pm

The breathing noise bothered me, too. My solution is to run a sound machine set to white noise or a fan to mask the sound.

sleep lover

Post by sleep lover » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:31 pm

I also had some nights where my inhalations seemed noisier. Everything people have suggested could help. I lowered my machine so that it's below bed level, (but not low enough to collect dust bunnies), but I think the biggest help was changing the starting pressure at a higher number. Mine ramped from 4 - 12 in 20 minutes, and at 4 I was struggling to breathe! When I upped it to begin at 7, I felt better, and it wasn't so noisy. Perhaps this would help you... having said all that, a big factor in hearing something wrong, was that when the pollen count went up, my nasal passages got congested enough (and I'm not an allergic person) probably because I'm new to cpap and I'm feeling a tad ravaged by forced air traveling through my facial orifices, my mouth revolted and said "hell with the nose, breathe through me!!!" that caused all sorts of problems, including a loud sound which my husband also heard. Perhaps this is happening with you, too? My vote is it's either that the pressure is too low for you to start, and/or you're breathing through your mouth. I have your mask, too, and it doesn't seal as well as another (I'm trying a bunch out these first few months). I think we all fit best into different equipment given our facial structure. Thank god there's a bunch to choose from. I wish you speedy solutions!

wittymomma

Post by wittymomma » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:47 am

I have a sound app on my ipod touch & just set that to whatever.. Right now it is on "Humming" which is basically Rock a bye baby lol. and night time noises.. We fall asleep to that sometimes. Other times, it is my husbands snoring that puts me to sleep LOL. But yes, when I wake up in the AM it is so quiet..