Shallow breathing-what can I do?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jason1975

Shallow breathing-what can I do?

Post by Jason1975 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi everyone, I finally just became a member of this forum. I have been on cpap now for about a year and a half and still struggle with daily fatigue. I have tried Nuvigil with no improvement. I have a Resmed S8 Elite II and use a Swift LT. My leak rates have generally been 0 but have gone as high as .2 a few times. My leak rates are pretty much under control. However, ever since I've been put on cpap, my AHI's range consistently between 12 to 20. My AI ranges between .6 to 3. Most of the time it the lower end, not the higher end. I have gone to my sleep doctor several times and she has consistently told me that my pressure is right and that its controlling my apneas. I'm wondering if yes maybe it is controlling my apneas but what about my hypopneas. I know that resmed tends to report these rather aggressively compared to other brands but still. Could this be why I'm still feeling exhausted during the day? If I have a HI of say 18 and sleep for 8 hours, thats 144 hypopneas.

When I had gone for my original sleep study, my AHI was a 96.4. So, I guess in that regards, cpap has helped me quite a bit. I just can't really tell a difference. Any help, suggestions or anything would be so greatly appreciated!!!!! I'm sick of being tired all the time and it is so frustrating.

Jason

Muse-Inc

Re: Shallow breathing-what can I do?

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Lots of other things affect quality of sleep: hrs asleep, how much REM, frequency of sleep stage shifts (called arousals), pain, hypothyroidism including fibromyalgia, blood sugar swings esp hypoglycemic episodes, consuming alcohol or other central nervous system depressants, limb movements (periodic/restless legs), congestion, stress, noise, light...phase of the moon I'm using a recording oximeter to see if reducing oxygen levels might be causing my multiple nightly wakeups...might just be my wonky thyroid...too soon to tell.

Now that said, you might ask to trial an APAP and see if your sleep study pressure is the optimal pressure...sleeping in a lab isn't like sleeping at home, some here need different pressures than they were titrated for. Seems like that's a pretty high AHI, even if all hypops.

Do ypu track ypur daily data? What trends do ypu see in relationship to the things I mentioned earlier? Even with software I track my daily numbers as well as mins of exercise, congestion & stress my 2 big bugaboos.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

mars

Post by mars » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:06 pm

Hi Jason

It sounds like your problem is that you ate still suffering from sleep apnea, and the reduction in AHi is still not sufficient for optimal therapy. But it will certainly help.

Posting your machine details in your profile will ensure they come up each time you post.

The body of your post does not mention "shallow breathing", so perhaps you could elaborate on that.

As Muse-Inc says, getting an oximeter will give you good information on how your oxygen levels are whilst you sleep, and trying out an apap might give you a better result.

cheers

Mars
for an an easier, cheaper and travel-easy sleep apnea treatment :D

http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t7020 ... rapy-.html

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:14 am

Could even be as simple as the fact you (unknowingly) are losing most of the Cpap air from your mouth once asleep, and need to consider trying a full face mask.

Jason1975

Post by Jason1975 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:22 am

I don't think it is because I am mouth breathing because my leak rates have been so good. If I were mouth breathing, wouldn't my machine pick up on it?

Jason1975

Post by Jason1975 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:12 am

I currently have a resmed elite II cpap but I was wondering if a bipap generally works better for shallow breathing?

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:16 am

Jason1975 wrote:I don't think it is because I am mouth breathing because my leak rates have been so good. If I were mouth breathing, wouldn't my machine pick up on it?
Not necessarily. Try to tape your mouth for a couple of nights and see the difference.

Also I would start adjusting my pressure a few point a week to see the results.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

dsm

Post by dsm » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:02 pm

Jason1975

A few thoughts re shallow breathing.

If your SpO2 level (blood oxygen) is fine throughout the night, then that is the important aspect of your breathing, shallowness might not matter.
The other proof is to look at your machine data (I can't recall if tidal flow can be read off into ResScan software on your model - anyone able
to confirm ?). The tidal flow would also indicate just how much air you are breathing per minute. As tidal flow is a result of rate x volume.

The real indicator though is the SpO2.

Good luck

DSM
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)