newbie: frustrated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hehcsh

newbie: frustrated

Post by hehcsh » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:47 am

I am on my 3rd evening with a ComfortCurve nasal mask and machine plus humidifier. I am completely new to this. I hate it. I threw the mask off the first night, in distress. I am a side-sleeper, and was once a mouth-breather. I can't tell when a leak is unacceptable or not (and hence fuss with the mask all night), or when I am sleeping better, or even when I have slept well or not. I started with a FF mask, but in hurt my nose so much I gave it up. The comfort curve seems better, although I have trouble getting it to seal.

Will someone tell me this will all be worth it? How many masks will I have to try?

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:52 am

Oh, I think the answer to your second question is 3 or 4. The answer to your first question is: Yes you will feel better after a few nights of xPAP.
Furthermore, you might head off a couple of other aliments..

sir_cumference

Post by sir_cumference » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:58 am

Sorry to say, but it takes time to get the right mask for you. There are so many factors and so many masks to try, you just have to do your research and try out different masks.

I have been through 5 or 6 and now just use the same one every night (breeze with nasal inserts) I am a side sleeper and it works really well for me. But some like the swift etc. I guess you need to ask yourself a few questions about the way you sleep - for example do you mouth breath? I guess not if you use the CC.

Don't give up, the difference it can make to your life is worth a few weeks of frustration let alone a few nights.

My suggestions is you start mask research in earnest.
sir_c

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:00 pm

If a full face mask hurts your nose, it's either the wrong size or you've got it too tight.....or both. I'm a side-sleeper and mouth breather and I use the UMFF.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Missy

Post by Missy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 pm

Sorry to hear that you're having a hard time. I feel your pain. I am only 2 months into my cpap therapy. I am hardly in a position to give much advice, but I can tell you this much. I started out wanting to throw my mask against the wall. Then I had a "good" night. Then just about every 2 to 3 nights was a "good" night. The nights in between were wakeful and I just needed to used to the mask. It's not easy with the Alien camping out on your face! Just know that it will get easier and better. Finding the right mask at the right adjustment is key. Don't give up, no matter what. One of these days you'll wake up feeling like your old self again. That is what keeps me motivated. Peace!

kurtchan

Post by kurtchan » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:50 pm

Don't give up! No matter how miserable the initial part of the process is, there's a big payoff waiting for you when you finally get used to the machine and find the right mask.

I wear the Comfort Curve every night and love it. In fact, I just posted a query today to see if anyone could help with suggestions on how best to side sleep with it. Other than that, I'm 100% sold on the mask no matter what the general consensus on this forum is.

The Comfort Curve is very quiet, so if you're hearing much of anything, it's probably a leak. Do yourself a big favor and make sure that the flexible part of the mask -- the one that houses the cheek pads at both ends -- is properly snapped into place over the flanges on the rigid tubular piece that holds the nasal interface and has the exhaust holes. I was freaking out for 2 or 3 nights trying to figure out where the airleaks were coming from until a wise person on this board told me to do that one simple check. You'll probably have to re-check it every time you wash and take apart the mask, but it's your first line of defense against leaks.

The other major place for leaks is the nasal interface. Have you tested all three sizes to make sure you're using the one that best fits your face? It may sound stupid, but I couldn't decide which one was best for me, so I took some makeup and smeared it all over the botom of my nose and around my nares. I then blotted it onto a Kleenex and used the impression to hold up to the different interfaces to determine the best coverage without too much gapping. I ended up with the Medium, despite the fact that I've been told I have a big nose -- or was it that I was nosey?!?!

Of course, the other place where you may be leaking is your mouth. Again, dumb as I am, it took me two weeks to discover that I was breathing through my mouth and completely negating any value of wearing the mask. I tried a chinstrap but it wreaked havoc with my TMJ and teeth grinding (besides making me look like Jacob Marley in the touring cast of "A Christmas Carol"). So, I settled on the unpleasant but necessary task of mouth taping and have found it to be very successful.

After 7 weeks of CPAP therapy, I just completed my fourth night of 100% compliance interspersed with a lot of long, exhausting, frustrating sleepless nights. It ain't always a quick fix, but without the CPAP I wouldn't have any idea what a good night's sleep felt like.

Keep plugging away and keep sending us updates and/or questions. This is also a perfect place to vent your frustrations, 'cause we've all been where you are right now. Know that you've found a caring and supportive group of people who only want you to succeed and to get the most out of your therapy. We're always here to help!

Good luck!

Kurtchan

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:56 pm

This could be another example of why the Mirage Swift is so darn popular. I switch off between one of those and a Activa (depending on how my sinuses are performing). I've found the Swift fine in a side sleeping situation. I just punch out a little hole in the pillow and I'm good to go

Persistance is Omnipotent

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:59 pm

A foot produce called moleshin can help to pad the nose area and leaks of a FF Mask. It glues to the mask not the face. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

kteague

Side Sleeper

Post by kteague » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:24 pm

I'm a side sleeper and use the breeze with medium pillows. I use a stretchy headband to reinforce it to stay in position. No leak problems since adding the band, but I am not a mouth breather, so that helps. This is my second mask. Hang in there. Those of us who have been knuckleheads have only prolonged the adjustment phase.
Kathy

birdshell

Re: newbie: frustrated

Post by birdshell » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:10 pm

hehcsh wrote::( I am on my 3rd evening with a ComfortCurve nasal mask and machine plus humidifier. I am completely new to this. I hate it. I threw the mask off the first night, in distress. I am a side-sleeper, and was once a mouth-breather. I can't tell when a leak is unacceptable or not (and hence fuss with the mask all night), or when I am sleeping better, or even when I have slept well or not. I started with a FF mask, but in hurt my nose so much I gave it up. The comfort curve seems better, although I have trouble getting it to seal.

Will someone tell me this will all be worth it? How many masks will I have to try?
Just a thought: Comfort Curve was made for those with thin faces. If you are a chubby-cheeked individual, that may be a part of your problem.

Severeena

Post by Severeena » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:26 pm

hehcsh, there are several Full Face masks on the market.
I use the Hans Rudolph Full Face Mask and I am a mouth breather and a side sleeper.

My husband still checks to see if my mask is on me because of how quiet it is.

I know some people cannot use it, but their are others that are using it and not having any problems with it.

Good Luck and I always say,
NOT ALL MASKS ARE FOR ALL PEOPLE YOU HAVE TO FIND WHICH ONE IS BEST FOR YOU AND STAY WITH IT.

Not all Masks work for everyone. Each Person is Different.

rested gal

Re: newbie: frustrated

Post by rested gal » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:10 pm

birdshell wrote:Just a thought: Comfort Curve was made for those with thin faces. If you are a chubby-cheeked individual, that may be a part of your problem.
I dunno... the Comfort Curve sure didn't suit me at all.