"Ultimate" side-sleeper mask = ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JCraig

"Ultimate" side-sleeper mask = ???

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:49 am

I normally sleep on my side (and sometimes on my stomach, though I haven't since being on xPAP -- impossible with my current mask). It works out "ok" with my current mask (FP HC405) but I know other mask types are better for side and stomach sleeping.

It seems that either the Breeze or the ComfortLite 2 are the best choices. I'd like to get opinions/recommendations to help me decide (or recommend another model...whatever works).

I'd like to avoid ResMed products for obvious reasons (i.e., they are evil scum).

Using built-in humidifier + auto-climate-control hose
8-13 CM
Unreated AHI: 111

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:56 am

JCraig,

One word, Aura...or maybe two, Headrest, although a rose by any other name...if you are okay with nasal pillows, my favorite is the Aura/Headrest by Aeiomed. Of course, as always said on this site, YMMV (your mileage may vary), but it's my favorite and the favorite of a lot of other members here, too. The Breeze is good, but I found the plenum's hard plastic material to just hurt my nares too much. And I had no success at all with the CL2.

Just one woman's suggestion. I hope you find what you're looking for, from one side sleeper to another.

L o R i

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:33 am

Hmm, that one looks interesting too. Have you had the durability issues mentioned in one of the reviews on cpap.com?

8-13 CM

sir_cumference

Post by sir_cumference » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:20 am

I have sleepless on LI's old breeze and I am a side sleeper. From what I can tell the breeze seems to work better on men than women, but that is just my perspective on it and may have little to do with real hard fact!

I love the breeze because it is possible to wear it so loosely that it only touches on the nares and rests on the pillow so that it has no weight on the head or nose. Because of this it is the ideal mask for me! However, I don't know how it would work if I were to sleep on my tummy!

Hope you find what you want, and remember that you can nearly always sell a well looked after mask 2nd hand on this site if it really doesn't work for you.

sir_c

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks, sir. Any advice on how to guess at pillow/etc size for the Breeze? I know most people use either S or M on most masks, wondering if it's the same for the Breeze. I'm using the small seal on my HC405.

8-13 CM

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:29 am

[quote="JCraig"]Hmm, that one looks interesting too. Have you had the durability issues mentioned in one of the reviews on cpap.com?

L o R i

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:32 am

Sleepless on LI wrote:If your talking about how long the Aura/Headrest lasts before you need a new one, I have my original that I bought last August, I believe it was. Held up pretty darn well. You can always just order the replacement pillows if need be,too.
Yeah, I was curious about the review of the Aura that complained that the "rubber strap" broke after only a week. It's only one review, but of course, durability is a concern, hehe.

8-13 CM

sir_cumference

Post by sir_cumference » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:42 am

cpap.com has a fitting guide if you look up the breeze on their site. I am a 6 foot large male and I use the medium pillows! But, I have heard of smaller women using the large pillows! It may be worth buying a breeze with small, medium and large and then swapping the pillows you can't use on this site for spares of the size you like.

sir_c

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:24 pm

Still hoping for some more input before I drop ~$75.

8-13 CM

linda b

Post by linda b » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:30 pm

I have been using the CL2 with simple cushion for 3 months and LOVE it. It requires a pantyhose-type fix to be really stable and some grabbing velcro on the back-of-the-head part of the head gear to keep it from slipping up, but with those fixes it is really comfortable. I've read quite a few complaints from back-sleepers about the big hard piece on the back of the breeze. I never sleep on my back, but the CL2 should be just fine for that.

Linda B.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:49 pm

Don't forget the influence of your bed pillow when looking at masks for side and stomach sleeping. I've been able to use both the Fp Flexifit 406 and Hybrid in any sleeping position with an extra soft down pillow to scrunch up around my face/head/mask.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:15 pm

JCraig wrote:Still hoping for some more input before I drop ~$75.
LOL!! I hear ya. Don't blame you a bit.

Here's a link to tons of input...

LINKS to MASKS - nasal mask, nasal pillows, nasal prongs
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:30 pm

Sleepless on LI, what about the Swift? It seems from old threads that you used to love the thing and now you're not using it -- what happened?

8-13 CM

Sleepless on LI

Post by Sleepless on LI » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:41 pm

[quote="JCraig"]Sleepless on LI, what about the Swift? It seems from old threads that you used to love the thing and now you're not using it -- what happened?

L o R i

JCraig

Post by JCraig » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:49 pm

Yeah Rested Gal's links are awesome, I found them very useful.

I'm just always curious what current wisdom is though; some of those threads are from 2005 and you never know when redesigns are done and suchforth.

It's not like I can't just try them all -- I can, and it's not a big deal...I just want to avoid wasting HSA account funds needlessly.

8-13 CM