Travel machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Franniep51

Travel machine

Post by Franniep51 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:37 am

I sometimes go out of town and would like to purchase a travel machine. Any suggestions? I would even entertain the idea of buying a used machine like my ResMed Air Sense 10. Anyone have experience with buying a used one? I’m retired, on a fixed income, so I don’t want to break the bank.

KatieW

Re: Travel machine

Post by KatieW » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:35 pm

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:40 pm

forum member lsat often has used machines for sale. while i've not dealt with him myself, he gets high marks from forum members who have.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 am

If you are ok with simply having a standard cpap unit, like you use at home, as your travel machine then that is the best thing to do. If all I done was travel by car, I would have a full sized Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset as my travel only machine.
I need a smaller, lighter cpap for travel. So I bought one. But they are NOT without shortcomings!!!!!
You can get really good used units from LSAT here on the forum, or going to secondwind.com and looking around. Few hundred dollars for really good used units. That gives you a perfect backup for the home unit too!
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:12 am

I would say it depends on how much and how you travel.

If you only travel occasionally or mainly by car, then I would agree that a standard CPAP is the best thing to do. Size is not an issue. You will have humidification (if you use it). No switching between machines/models.

If you travel a lot or by plane, a small travel machine is really nice. This is what I switched to after a problem carrying on my Airsense 10 at an international airport. My AirMini fits in a lunchbox in my carryon, tote, or backpack, depending on my trip. I do have to make do without humidification. Travel machines are louder than full-size machines and the AirMini uses only a select few masks. However, I have hacked the hose to use my Bleep mask and that has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the noise! A win-win in my book!

We travel internationally at least twice a year and take several other trips as well so a travel machine makes sense for me. I keep it packed and ready to go, which was a blessing after an emergency room visit earlier this year led to an overnight hospital stay. Hubby just had to grab the lunchbox and bring it to the hospital!

Also, I have a backup in case, God forbid, something happens to my main machine.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet