Narrow Nose Bridge=LEAKS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rlreklaw

Narrow Nose Bridge=LEAKS!

Post by rlreklaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:05 am

Hi All,

I have a very narrow nose and cannot seem to find a full face mask that will not leak into my eyes at my Bi-PAP pressure of 20/11.
I have tried Mirage Quattro, Quattro FX, Amara with similarly poor results. Quietus liners help somewhat, but not enough to get through the night.
I welcome any suggestions you guys might have as to a better mask choice. My Sleep Tech says maybe the FitLife total face mask might work, but I sleep on my side, so am concerned about fit.

Please help!

Thanks,
Bob

nanwilson

Re: Narrow Nose Bridge=LEAKS!

Post by nanwilson » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:13 am

Morning Bob
Go ahead and try the fitlife, there are several threads here about it and folks DO sleep on their side with it. Just type in fitlife in the blue search banner above and you will get a ton of info. I use the Respcare/Innomed Hybrid and am waiting on delivery of the fitlife. With a full face mask you may need to sleep on the edge of your pillow and let the mask hang over the edge, that way there is nothing there to push your mask out of place.
Good luck and welcome to the land of hoseheads or hosers...whichever name you prefer .
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

rlreklaw

Post by rlreklaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:17 am

Thanks Nan for the reply!

I was told the FitLife also would help me tolerate the higher pressure, but could cause dry eyes.

apsews

Post by apsews » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:22 am

Try the moleskin patches cut into strips about the size of bandaid. I have a skinny nose and had to use two layers across my nose. It stopped the leaks. I just switched to the Mirage FX nasal mask and I don't have to use the moleskin with it.Good Luck to you!!
Alison

If you are ever caught sleeping at work just slowly raise your head and say "In Jesus name I pray,Amen"

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:34 am

I have a very narrow nose bridge and I find that adjusting the Quattro very loosely at the top let's the air cushion fully inflate and hug my nose. It's a leap of faith not to tighten it down, but it works.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

ReadyforRest

Post by ReadyforRest » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:46 am

I also have a high narrow bridge and can't seem to get a pain-free fit with a ff mask. Bridge of nose gets red and sore for days after just 4 hours with the mask. But the only way to ward off leaks is to crank it down tight, which results in a sore bridge.

Is there a mask that is "shape-able" over the bridge of the nose? If not, they should design one (or many) !

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 am

I've got the Amara and am going to post separately. Bridge of nose hurts and red after 3 days use. Need something different. The local Respironics distributor is going to comp me a FullLife to try so hoping that may help. Looks squishier and has a chin support which seems to be causing my problem with jaw drop etc. Ughhhh.

rlreklaw

Post by rlreklaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

Janknitz wrote:I have a very narrow nose bridge and I find that adjusting the Quattro very loosely at the top let's the air cushion fully inflate and hug my nose. It's a leap of faith not to tighten it down, but it works.
I tried that also, but at 20/11 cm, it blows like crazy!

rlreklaw

Post by rlreklaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:56 am

apsews wrote:Try the moleskin patches cut into strips about the size of bandaid. I have a skinny nose and had to use two layers across my nose. It stopped the leaks. I just switched to the Mirage FX nasal mask and I don't have to use the moleskin with it.Good Luck to you!!

That is next on my quest for a good nights sleep. I found a template for the ResMed Gecko silicone pad on their website. I think I might try using it as a pattern for the moleskin. We'll see..................

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:09 am

Have you considered something like Padacheeks anti leak strap?
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

I have a friend that made sort of her own anti leak strap to attach at the nasal area because her main problem was leaks at the nasal bridge area.
Poor quality image but I think you can get the idea. She used panty hose legs.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rlreklaw

Post by rlreklaw » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am

Pugsy wrote:Have you considered something like Padacheeks anti leak strap?
http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_AntiLeak_Strap.html

I have a friend that made sort of her own anti leak strap to attach at the nasal area because her main problem was leaks at the nasal bridge area.
Poor quality image but I think you can get the idea. She used panty hose legs.

I have looked at it. From the website photos, it appears to apply pressure around the middle to lower part of the mask. My main problem is leaks at the bridge of my nose into my eyes.

KEQ5

Post by KEQ5 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:30 am

On my face, I have to tighten the micro-fit dial on the MQ all the way down to avoid it leaking. I also found that it's prone to leaking between the eyes at pressures above 17. Since my pressures are well below 17 currently and I got a fit that doesn't leak, I haven't gone and looked at Padacheek or any other solutions.

(All faces are different of course, but seems like the nose bridge area is the weak spot for the QFX and MQ masks.)

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:34 am

The QFX didn't fit me at all, so I have a Full life, but it leaks into my eyes so badly,
I wear swim goggles with it. (when I wear it)
I punched little holes in the flange inside the upper outside edges of the goggles to
eliminate suction on my eyes. I replaced the stiff strap with a band of 2-way stretch swimwear fabric.
Yes, it does look silly!

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:49 am

The trick with adding something to make a mask more stable and less likely to leak is just some gentle pressure.
My friend who used that panty hose trick had leaks at the bridge where you are complaining of leaks. The added stability in the area where it connects enabled her to stop the leaks at the bridge of her nose and she used cpap pressure of 17.5.
It may or may not work for you. You don't crank it down tight...the whole idea is just to add a little stability or reinforcement. It doesn't have to go across the bridge to add stability. It about balance and letting the mask inflate like it is supposed to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:14 pm

nanwilson wrote:Morning Bob
Go ahead and try the fitlife, there are several threads here about it and folks DO sleep on their side with it. Just type in fitlife in the blue search banner above and you will get a ton of info. I use the Respcare/Innomed Hybrid and am waiting on delivery of the fitlife. With a full face mask you may need to sleep on the edge of your pillow and let the mask hang over the edge, that way there is nothing there to push your mask out of place.
Good luck and welcome to the land of hoseheads or hosers...whichever name you prefer .
Cheers
Nan
Dang it Nan... you haven't got the mask YET?

Sheriff