Which full face mask do you prefer?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hephaestus

Which full face mask do you prefer?

Post by Hephaestus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 am

I know there've been discussions on this subject in the past, but I thought it would be nice to get an update.

As listed in my equipment, I use the Mirage Quattro full face mask (FFM). I prefer to breath through my nose, but because my nose is stuffy, I find that I am more comfortable to breath through my mouth when my nose gets stuffier than usual. Having a FFM allows me to breath through my nose, but switch to my mouth when necessary.

The problem I find with using FFMs are leaks and tightness of the straps. I reduced the leaks greatly using the Pad-a-Cheek mask liner, but I still have to tighten the mask far more than I prefer. Tightening the mask leaves strap lines on my face in the morning and isn't as comfortable as I'd like.

I would like to think with todays technology that manufacture's could come up with a good FFM which seals well and doesn't have to be over-tightened to be effective.

What's the best FFM you've used and why?

LSAT

Re: Which full face mask do you prefer?

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 am

The Quattro works best when NOT OVER TIGHTENED. Check out this blog by member Janknitz,
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/taming ... e-quattro/

Hephaestus

Post by Hephaestus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:39 am

Nice, thank you for the link LSAT. I'll give it a try tonight and report back the results.

Demeter_Soul

Post by Demeter_Soul » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:42 am

I tried so many masks it isn't funny. First one I tried was a Quatro and had serious pressure point issues with that one. Moved on the the Comfortgel...then Forma...and a few others. Finally found the Hybrid and I was determined to make it work...and I did. With some tweaking. Then I wanted to find a back-up mask without nasal pillows and got a Zzz mask via the auction site and it's OK for those times I cannot -- ABSOLUTELY CANNOT -- wear the Hybrid.
It's a good little mask for the money and the headgear is pretty simple and allows for reading and watching television with glasses. I have to do some tweaking with that one, too...but it's still one of the best (for me) that I've found.
Link:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/zzz-ma ... asics.html

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 am

I've only used the Resmed Quattro FX and as far as I can tell, it's been a decent mask, though I don't have anything to compare it against. I too have the problems of trying to adjust the straps to get the best fit...I can sometimes feel the leaks around the sides of the nose. For the most part however, my leak rate is almost always minimal.

The biggest problem is the cushions...the seems to lose their elasticity fairly quickly and I even had a new one crack and leak one night. But I agree with the OP, considering how long this therapy has been around, I'm quite surprised no one has been able to come up with a mask that is both comfortable and leak-free.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:02 am

I just switched to the Mirage Liberty and it seems to be doing the trick for me so far. Only had it since Friday but I seem to be getting better and better sleep each night.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:03 am

I didn't like the Mirage Quattro. Never could get that thin outer cover to quit slicing the skin on the bridge of my snozz.

I like the ProBasics Zzz-Mask. But then I tried the Quattro FX and love it! Except - the Small comes w/a Medium headgear which is too too big. The square formed by the top and bottom straps at the back of the head should fit on the back of the head, not the bottom straps at the base of the skull on the neck. So, you either had to special order the Small headgear - or get out your velcro strips and scissors. Put a fold in the crown strap at the top of your head to fit it to the proper length so the top and bottom straps meet in that square at the proper level on the back of your head. Hold the fold in place w/a strip of velcro for a few nights as you adjust the length of that crown strap until you get it "just right". Then cut the fold out, put the cut ends back together w/velcro and voila! A good fit!

My Resmed Rep told me I should be able to get two fingers sideways between my bottom strap and my face!!!! Ah, me of faint heart I don't know about that TWO fingers!!!!

I always liked the old Respironics Simplicity simple nasal cushion mask. Nothing to it. Wear your glasses, watch TV, so light weight, doesn't ride on the bridge of your nose - and even the Small comes w/a headgear big enough to fit Goliath!!! *sigh* But folds, velcro and scissors get the right fit for you.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Hephaestus

Post by Hephaestus » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am

Demeter_Soul, which Hybrid are you using? Does it work well for either nose or mouth breathing? Is that the mask you have in your equipment list? If so, that's two good recommendations. I just received a new Quattro, but it may be worth it to pay for the hybrid out of pocket to try.

Last edited by Hephaestus on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vader

Post by Vader » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:13 am

I've said here many times, I like the M.Quattro the best for comfort, although many might say otherwise. Don't make the straps too tight if you use it.
The QFX however, is my mask of choice. It's a little more irritating to clean and put on (although not too much) but gives me the lowest AHI numbers.

Vader

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:17 am

I love my Respcare/Innomed Hybrid so much I now have 2 of them.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:51 pm

I just started using the quattro fx after having used a quattro ffm for 6 months. The fx I give 2 thumbs up. Much more comfortable than the old one.

4 nights so far and very comfortable.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

Demeter_Soul

Post by Demeter_Soul » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Hephaestus wrote:Demeter_Soul, which Hybrid are you using? Does it work well for either nose or mouth breathing? Is that the mask you have in your equipment list? If so, that's two good recommendations. I just received a new Quattro, but it may be worth it to pay for the hybrid out of pocket to try.
Yes, Hephaestus (two Greek gods -- ye gods! ), it's the mask I have listed here on my profile/signature. I got my first from cpap.com. It took about a month to get it tweaked to where I get no leaks...and it has been all good ever since. That was over two years ago.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Love my RespCare Hybrid Universal! Rotate 2 sets of cushions. Gotta another I loan out amongst our local forum meetup group. And, have a spare for backup. I never intend to be maskless

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Hephaestus

Post by Hephaestus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 am

Hephaestus wrote:Nice, thank you for the link LSAT. I'll give it a try tonight and report back the results.
Ok, as promised, I followed the instructions in that link and I found the results to be effective!

I use APAP, so when I first put on my mask and turn on the machine, the pressure isn't very high. So I set my machine to CPAP mode, set the pressure higher than I normally go in APAP mode (13), then fitted the mask. I tightened the straps just enough to allow the seal to inflate and seal properly. The straps were much looser than what I had previously. After I had the mask adjusted, I set the machine back to APAP mode to my normal pressure range. During the night, the mask felt like it floated on my face and I didn't have a problem with leaks!

Much better, thank you! I'd like to give the hybrid other people recommended a try, but for now, my ffm is working much better.

Hephaestus

Post by Hephaestus » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am

Demeter_Soul wrote:
Hephaestus wrote:Demeter_Soul, which Hybrid are you using? Does it work well for either nose or mouth breathing? Is that the mask you have in your equipment list? If so, that's two good recommendations. I just received a new Quattro, but it may be worth it to pay for the hybrid out of pocket to try.
Yes, Hephaestus (two Greek gods -- ye gods! ), it's the mask I have listed here on my profile/signature. I got my first from cpap.com. It took about a month to get it tweaked to where I get no leaks...and it has been all good ever since. That was over two years ago.
Lol, thanks Demeter_Soul. Greek mythology is a great place to get board names. It's rare to find "Hephaestus" taken already because most people don't even know how to spell it!