Camping/Is it safe to go a few days withiut using the CPAP M

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
don2019

Camping/Is it safe to go a few days withiut using the CPAP M

Post by don2019 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Can I go camping witout a Cpap machine/ no power to run it?

Alshain

Re: Camping/Is it safe to go a few days withiut using the CPAP M

Post by Alshain » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

In general, everyone here will recommend against it. Best to purchase or rig a battery operated system. Do a search, I had a thread on this a while ago and it wasn't the only one either.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

mayondair

Post by mayondair » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Not to mention you probably will feel lousy if you don't use it
Any landing you walk away from is a good one; if you don't break your airplane it's excellent.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 pm

don2019 wrote:Can I go camping witout a Cpap machine/ no power to run it?
Yes, you can go. The question is will you come back.

There's some risk you'll have a heart attack, stroke, etc. without the machine. Not using it for a few days is not as bad as not using it for the rest of your life, but there is that risk.

The other risk is not sleeping, snoring badly, sleeping badly, feeling sick during the day, etc.

Quite a few people have tried trips without CPAP and really regretted it.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

xenablue

Post by xenablue » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:09 pm

Of course you can go camping without your CPAP... but would you? Should you?

It depends on how much you want to go camping, and whether it's worth it to you to spend some money on (or borrow) a battery. Are you going camping rugged style, or in a campground or State Park? If not roughing it, you could get a powered site.

You may care to list your equipment as it may help others recommend the best way to make sure you enjoy (and survive) your camping trip.

Cheers,
xena

máirtín

Post by máirtín » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Did you go camping before you were diagnosed?
Did you have a heart attack or a stroke?
Unless you have an underlying condition that you already know increases your risk then you should think about the risk to your health of not enjoying your life.
Check with your doctor before you follow the advice of a forum.

"Bheadh sé chomh maith agat a rá," a dúirt an Luch Chodlamáin féin, "gurb ionann 'Codlaím nuair a análaím' agus 'Análaím nuair a chodlaím'!"

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:52 pm

I wouldn't but YOU sure can. I would be sure to buy life insurance on YOU tho.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

jan54

Post by jan54 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:08 pm

I have been using CPAP for less than a year and have not yet been camping with my machine. However, once last summer my husband and I rented a tiny little log cabin at a SD state park (for $35 per night) which we enjoyed greatly. We still cooked outside, still used a nearby outhouse, still sat in front of a campfire and watched a great sunset over a lake. We also enjoyed the airconditioned very tiny cabin. I have just reserved this same tiny cabin (with electricity, obviously) for a couple of nights later this month. I'll have to check the internet pictures of this cabin and see about the location of a built-in shelf next to the bed so I have someplace to put the CPAP machine. (I don't remember from last year), but I can always just throw in an overturned storage container and bring an extension cord.
You can figure out someway to "camp" that is still medically safe for you.

Alshain

Post by Alshain » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm

jan54 wrote:I have been using CPAP for less than a year and have not yet been camping with my machine. However, once last summer my husband and I rented a tiny little log cabin at a SD state park (for $35 per night) which we enjoyed greatly. We still cooked outside, still used a nearby outhouse, still sat in front of a campfire and watched a great sunset over a lake. We also enjoyed the airconditioned very tiny cabin. I have just reserved this same tiny cabin (with electricity, obviously) for a couple of nights later this month. I'll have to check the internet pictures of this cabin and see about the location of a built-in shelf next to the bed so I have someplace to put the CPAP machine. (I don't remember from last year), but I can always just throw in an overturned storage container and bring an extension cord.
You can figure out someway to "camp" that is still medically safe for you.
That's not bad, but there is nothing quite like sleeping under the stars with nothing but a piece of canvas to shield you from the dew and rain. (Heck, I've done it without the tent). I'm hoping to plan a trip if this heat wave ever dies.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

avi123

Post by avi123 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm

I have been practicing, for some time, for such or similar possibility. I know it that I can skip CPAPing for two consecutive nights without bad feelings. I need to continue the practice for more nights in a row.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

AmIawake

Post by AmIawake » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Well I plan to hike across the Grand Canyon again. Just several days short of the 3rd anniversary of my 4 day trip across. The backpack was 40 pounds. If I can't live my dreams, why live? But my machine will go with me to the hotel rooms.

When do I get the t-shirt?

moresleep

Post by moresleep » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:52 pm

If you're going camping with other people, I'm sure they'd be grateful if you used a CPAP rather than keep them awake with your snoring. For locations that you drive to, carrying the CPAP and a battery shouldn't be a problem. I've used a $49 jump-start battery pack very successfully with a 12-volt P-B. If I want to do something like that with my current Bipap AutoSV, which is a lot heavier and needs 24 volts, I will need to go to more work

Bons

Post by Bons » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm camping later this month without my ASV. No electric in the wooded campsite, and won't be using the car enough to recharge a nonsolar battery. I managed okay for several nights last month while "sleeping" in my father's hospital room. And though my snoring may exceed the acceptable noise level at the camp ground, I figure I'll get even with any partying campers (last year it got pretty rowdy some nights).
My husband and daughter really need this getaway due to stresses in their lives. Sometimes spiritual well-being is more important than physical.
I spoke with my RT yesterday while stopping by the DME to pick up a pillow to accomodate my deteriorating tailbone. She told me to go for it. I have a sleep doc appointment less than a week after returning, so she suggested I stop by the morning that I'm leaving; then she is going to download my data and fax it to him so that he has valid data. Otherwise the stupid ASV will record all the nights I don't use it as 0.0 AHI and skew everything. RT is actually starting to be nice to me and helpful, too!

oldnslow

Post by oldnslow » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 pm

My sig other and I just came back from the August long weekend camping trip. We hammock hang, and had not yet planned on how to set up the cpaps and battery thing. We survived, but we both came close to kissing the machines when we crawled into bed when we got back. I know I have done it before, but do much better with the cpap, and my camping neighbors REALLY like it better when I have the cpap. Otherwise, they get nervous about bears, and I get nervous about them thinking they need to shoot said bear (me snoring)

Bons

Post by Bons » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm

oldnslow wrote: I know I have done it before, but do much better with the cpap, and my camping neighbors REALLY like it better when I have the cpap. Otherwise, they get nervous about bears, and I get nervous about them thinking they need to shoot said bear (me snoring)
Ah, but maybe I'll prepare protection from bears. The site we are going to has major bear problems. No food can be kept in cars or tents, and no clothes used for cooking, shampoos or toothpastes left there either. Maybe I'll scare them away.

I know I'm gonna really miss the ASV, and so will my husband and daughter. But it's either no camping or no ASV... none of the state campgrounds in the Adirondacks have electricity. Had a stress echo in April, and my bp's fine, and the kidneys are getting checked tomorrow and next week, so I'm in no immediated danger, I think.