Nose tickles?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RickKC

Nose tickles?

Post by RickKC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:16 pm

I'm just in my second week of CPAP use. There have been some good nights and some bad. Lots of trouble with leaks and whistles and groans. My provider suggested I try the RemZZZs liners, and they help with the comfort and leaks.

My worst gremlins are the nose itchies and tickles. I just get the mask settled and comfortable, and the feathers start flying around my nose. The same thing happens with or without the liners, so they're not the cause. Of course when I surrender and scratch, the liner slips and I end up starting over.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have a F&P 234 with a F&P Forma full-face mask.

Jay K

Re: Nose tickles?

Post by Jay K » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 pm

I've had similar problems, and do two things that seem to help at least a bit. First, I raised the humidifier a notch or two under the theory part of the problem was relatively dry air hitting my face. Second, at the suggestion of someone else here, I rub/scratch my face before putting the mask on.

I don't know if this will help you as I still get itches every now and then. But I think they have diminished a bit as a result of the above.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:01 pm

I still get those now and then. I can slip my finget under the mask if it is driving me crazy wihtout too much trouble.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:03 pm

Rick,

The nose itches are a rite of passage for CPAP users. I know that it happened to me. I'd try to ignore it, and then it would drive almost insane until I would give in and take the mask off and get the scratching over with. I heard one poster here suggest using a popcicle stick. You can slide it under the mask without messing up your seal. I also found that higher humidity would help. In the end, I moved to a nasal pillow mask where I have the ability to rub my nose with my mask on.

-john-

dave21

Post by dave21 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 am

I can almost guarantee that most nights even after being on CPAP for nearly 5 years that I'll lay down in bed, put the mask on, power on the machine and within 3 mins I'll either get my nose itching and I need to scratch it or I find suddenly I have debris in my nose and need to clear my nose. It's almost a given for me, the itches tend to happen a lot more though. Like suggested rather than taking the mask off I usually just slip a finger in under the mask to relieve the itch for a couple of seconds.

Fieryphoenix

Post by Fieryphoenix » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 pm

With my current full face mask I am able to carefully stick my finger up along the center bottom and give a good itch killing swipe without disturbing the seal, about 9 times out of 10.

sleepyjan

Post by sleepyjan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 pm

it's really a bad thing too huh? Itch by sneaking finger into mask almost feels like "cheating!" but those itches really do itch! And here I thought it was only me!

Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:17 am

For the ultimate cheat, the Drive or Zzz FFM are flexible enough you can itch right through the mask without distrubing the seal.
Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask: Drive FF w/ associated headgear
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Software: ResScan 3.10 w/ cable

sunchasers64

Post by sunchasers64 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

I get them, too, but I think mine are mostly mental. As in, I know I can't scratch my nose now, so it's going to start itching anytime. I work in a laboratory, and it happens to me every time I put on my gloves and get elbow deep in some stuff that shouldn't be touching my face.

Mccorb

Post by Mccorb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 pm

I've been wearing a CPAP for a couple of months now and still have nose itches or I wouldn't have looked at this thread. However I have made a lot of progress.
First, moisturize your face before bed. I actually use a light coat of Vaseline on my nose. It moisturizes and also acts like a wind barrier and keeps my exhaling from irritating. This works pretty well for me. I also put a little Vaseline in my nose to keep the nose hairs from flittering around. It helps some. I am going to get a nose hair trimmer to shorten them and then see if that helps. Most of my nose itches are inside at the bottom of my nose now.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Mccorb wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 pm
I've been wearing a CPAP for a couple of months now and still have nose itches or I wouldn't have looked at this thread. However I have made a lot of progress.
First, moisturize your face before bed. I actually use a light coat of Vaseline on my nose. It moisturizes and also acts like a wind barrier and keeps my exhaling from irritating. This works pretty well for me. I also put a little Vaseline in my nose to keep the nose hairs from flittering around. It helps some. I am going to get a nose hair trimmer to shorten them and then see if that helps. Most of my nose itches are inside at the bottom of my nose now.
The real answer is *trim your noise hair*.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm
Mccorb wrote:

I was just about to mention that... some times the turbulence of the air coming into the mask will cause some of the longer nose hairs to sway in the wind a bit and this inevitably winds up with this anoying tickling sensation right in the nares of your nose. You can wipe out your mask and fish around for something bouncing around inside the mask but find nothing.

Some times with me I'll find a stray cat hair or something has managed toget in my mask before I get it on and this flying around inside my ff mask will drive me nuts till I clear it. When you have 3 or 4 cats placing bets on which one of them is going to get to sleep on your head you do have issues with pet hair. Sorry if that's tmi.

I find to as I've been paping for over 15 years now that u can usualy get a finger under the seal to scratch the occasional itch now and then. It just takes practice. Also as you get used to it you'll find you can take your mask off and put it back on sealed right with out a second thought.

Rest well,

Gryphon

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:33 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:22 pm
Mccorb wrote:

I was just about to mention that... some times the turbulence of the air coming into the mask will cause some of the longer nose hairs to sway in the wind a bit and this inevitably winds up with this anoying tickling sensation right in the nares of your nose. You can wipe out your mask and fish around for something bouncing around inside the mask but find nothing.
It always itched 'ON' my nose, not in it... took me quite a while to figure out that a trim was the solution...

I think it's a 'HEY, THERE'S A BUG IN ME, SCRATCH' primitive reaction....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nobody

Post by nobody » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:27 pm

I only have this problem when there is moisture in the hose or mask. You'd be surprised how very little moisture it take to feel like flying feathers lol. Make sure your mask is good and dry if you wash it before bed. Get a heated hose or a cover for your hose if you don't want to get a heated one. I made a cover for mine out of a piece of polyester fleece. It works well for me but I never set my humidifier beyond the lowest setting.