Newbie (1 week) mask questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sunchasers64

Newbie (1 week) mask questions

Post by sunchasers64 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi, All.

I've only been on CPAP for 1 week. Overall, the experience has been pretty good. Sounds like I've been lucky, as I've slept with the mask on all night every night. My questions have to do with my mask, the Resmed Quattro. It's OK, have to tighten it down pretty good to control leakage. Next morning no marks on my face, except for the bridge of my nose. Some nights are better with leakage than others. I don't have access to my machine numbers to see the actual rate. I'm well within the 30 days to try a new mask, so I did a "fit numbers test" on CPAP.com, and the result said the Quattro was not ideal for my face. It suggested the Ultra Mirage instead. I only wake up a few times with the Quattro because of small leaks. The last few nights, though, I've been awakened by condensation around the bridge of my nose. Seems like it's trapped between the flaps of the mask. I've got the humidifer turned down to 1, but I also have a humidifer going in the room when the house heater is on. My questions are:

1) Since I'm having luck sleeping with the mask all night (fairly comfortable and small to no leaks), is this the mask for me, contrary to the mask fit test on CPAP.com, or should I try the Mirage? I cannot handle the nasal masks, as I'm a mouth breather due to chronic sinus problems/blockage.

2) How can I get rid of the condensation? Turn down the machine humidifier even more (or off), or turn off the room humidifier? The machine is lower than my head, and I let the hose dangle between the nightstand where the machine is and the bed.

I'm already becoming a big fan of CPAP. I've got more energy and not nearly as sleepy during the day. My husband even asked why I was in such a good mood a couple of days ago.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I think I'm going to be coming to this forum quite a bit.

DottyG

Re: Newbie (1 week) mask questions

Post by DottyG » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:24 pm

WELCOME!!!

I am, by far, not an expert at any of this! But, this is what I'd say to your questions (for what it's worth):
sunchasers64 wrote: 1) Since I'm having luck sleeping with the mask all night (fairly comfortable and small to no leaks), is this the mask for me, contrary to the mask fit test on CPAP.com, or should I try the Mirage? I cannot handle the nasal masks, as I'm a mouth breather due to chronic sinus problems/blockage.
Mask fit is one of the hardest things to do when starting out. If you've found something that feels good and you're sleeping, I'd say disregard any outside info that doesn't take into account your personal situation!
sunchasers64 wrote:2) How can I get rid of the condensation? Turn down the machine humidifier even more (or off), or turn off the room humidifier? The machine is lower than my head, and I let the hose dangle between the nightstand where the machine is and the bed.
That's rainout and very common. You need a cover for the hose. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/snuggl ... cover.html
sunchasers64 wrote:I'm already becoming a big fan of CPAP. I've got more energy and not nearly as sleepy during the day. My husband even asked why I was in such a good mood a couple of days ago.
!
Last edited by DottyG on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

"Every time you are compliant in using your machine, you take that first step to better health"- DJ_Boxer

sunchasers64

Post by sunchasers64 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks, DottyG. That's what I thought. If it's working for me so far, don't mess with it.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:33 pm

If it aint broke theory dont fix it lol

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Those are recommendations you have the hard data to prove it is working for you. So I would say you are good to go.

I dont use the full face but there are a lot of good suggestions here for comfort should you have any problems.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

KatieW

Post by KatieW » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:53 pm

sunchasers64 wrote: I've only been on CPAP for 1 week. I don't have access to my machine numbers to see the actual rate. I'm well within the 30 days...
Welcome to the forum. If you're within the 30 days, then you may be able to return your ResMed Escape and exchange it for an S8 Elite II, or the newest model S9 Elite. The Elite's are data capable,which means you can read your lcd screen, and see if you have leaks, and how many apneas or hypopneas you are having. Your Escape does not have that capability, even though it has a data card, it only records hours used.

While it sounds like you're off to a good start, it would be helpful to be able to monitor your therapy, as well as going by how you feel.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Hi,

Humidity is mostly a comfort thing. Are you getting dried out? The nose seems to be the most sensitive to dry air, but you say you aren't breathing much through your nose. As a result, you might be able to get away with lower humidity. You can even turn it off and have it run in "pass over" mode, where just a little humidity is added by the air moving past the water. The humidifier in your room is already giving you some benefit. Feel free to experiment with different settings. The hose cover should help. If not, the next option is a heated hose. Some folks really like their Aussie heated hoses.

-john-