Remember me? I'm back on CPAP. Let's catch up!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
socknitster

Remember me? I'm back on CPAP. Let's catch up!

Post by socknitster » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm

I originally joined this board in 2007 when I was first diagnosed with OSA. Originally prescribed bipap with very high pressure. I was 100% compliant for several years while I searched for a way to assess and possibly fix the underlying cause. I had nasal surgery to reduce my turbinates. I had my ginormous tonsils removed. I got braces because I had a malocclusion that impinged on my mouth/tongue space. After all that was said and done and healed I had a sleep study that determined I was sleep apnea free.

Fast forward some years. I developed CFS/ME.

After a few years I seemed to be in remission from CFS/ME and started a new career as a writer, which allowed me to stay home with my kids.

Over the last year or so all of my symptoms have worsened again. I had recently moved to a new state and my new doctor wanted to cover all the bases again to make sure nothing was missed. I went in for a new sleep study.

OSA is back.

I'm kinda feeling my way around, seeing what has changed. My new machine is loads nicer than the one I got in 2007. I'm not sure about my current mask. I tried it because the respiratory therapist recommended it, but I'll probably go back to pillows and taping my mouth.

I'm still suffering from aerophagia associated with CPAP. As a matter of fact, I continued to have it without CPAP over the years--but only when sleeping on my right side.

I'm going to have to go in for a silent GERD evaluation and stop sticking my head in the sand over that.

So, if you're still around from the 2007 era, let's catch up! How the heck are you doing?

Jen

zonker

Re: Remember me? I'm back on CPAP. Let's catch up!

Post by zonker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:27 pm

socknitster wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:16 pm

I'm still suffering from aerophagia associated with CPAP. As a matter of fact, I continued to have it without CPAP over the years--but only when sleeping on my right side.

welcome <back> to the zoo! golly you are well ahead of my time. i'm not any expert by any means, but the bit i quoted caught my eye. i too was under the evil influence of aerophagia. but i recently discovered turmeric curcumin complex with black pepper extract.

i take 1000 mg in the morning and have no more aerophagia. the gas collects and expels as it should. thank goodness!

i've been using it for about three weeks now. a couple of my google searches spoke vaguely of being careful not to take "too much" as it can thin the blood.

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Truth-Tu ... 24&sr=8-19

though i actually bought it at rite aid.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi - I wondered where you'd gone! So sorry to hear about all you've been through - hope the future is better and that people here can help you get sorted out (again) :D

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:02 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Zonker.

I actually took turmeric for years because it was recommended for my issues with CFS/ME. Sadly I also have a lot of issues with allergies/food allergies and I can't take it anymore because I seem to be allergic to it.

Hey, Julie! Nice to see you again. Hope you are doing well. :)

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:55 pm

socknitster wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:02 pm
Thanks for the suggestion, Zonker.

I actually took turmeric for years because it was recommended for my issues with CFS/ME. Sadly I also have a lot of issues with allergies/food allergies and I can't take it anymore because I seem to be allergic to it.

Hey, Julie! Nice to see you again. Hope you are doing well. :)
well, that sucks! hopefully, you can find another way to be comfortable.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Welcome back.

Just to be sure, do you have the Airsense 10 AutoSet or the data limited machine in your profile?
The AirSense 10 Autoset is hidden under "R" in the list, if i recall correctly.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:21 am

Well look who's here! :D Welcome back. Good to see you, but sorry to hear you have a need to come back. You asked what's happened since you were here and I had to chuckle. Seems like the years keeping ticking past with not a lot of change - I guess that's a good thing. Hope you get settled in and can get to your personal best soon.
Kathy

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Welcome back.

Just to be sure, do you have the Airsense 10 AutoSet or the data limited machine in your profile?
Oh--yeah. I have the AutoSet. I didn't see it in the list. I'll have to find that. Thanks for the tip! I keep meaning to download the app and take a look at what data is offered there for us to look at, but I haven't been using this new device for more than a couple of weeks. Still readjusting to the whole idea.

Hi Kathy! Thanks for the warm welcome! It seems like a lot of things have changed for me. I have a new career after being a stay at home mom for a very long time. My children are growing up fast. I have a 16 year old and an 11 year old now. The youngest just asked me to buy deodorant for him, which makes me want to cry! I got divorced and moved to PA for a new relationship.

Yes, I've had some setbacks but I'm still very happy and content with life. I'll just keep making lemonade.

I was very ambivalent about returning to CPAP in the beginning. It felt like a step backwards. But I can't deny the fact that I'm sleeping so much less and feeling far more awake since I got back on CPAP. And my pressures are far lower now than they were in 2007 to 2010. They started me out at 5-10 which I barely notice. After 3-4 nights I just accepted that this was the right thing to do and feel a lot better about it.

I'm lurking in the forum now because I don't feel like an expert OSA and CPAP like I once did. Since more than a decade has gone by, a lot of things have changed.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:42 am

socknitster wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:01 am
prodigyplace wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:28 pm
Welcome back.

Oh--yeah. I have the AutoSet. I didn't see it in the list. I'll have to find that. Thanks for the tip! I keep meaning to download the app and take a look at what data is offered there for us to look at, but I haven't been using this new device for more than a couple of weeks. Still readjusting to the whole idea.
The text based signature is preferred too. You should have an SD Card in your machine. Download the free OSCAR ( the successor to SleepyHead) to view and share your data graphs. The MyAir app is not very useful to us.
The first stickied newbie post has many of the details.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks for the tips.

I asked about the SD card and they said they don't provide them anymore because there is a cell phone inside the machine that transmits the data directly to my provider.

I'll look up OSCAR. Thanks!

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 am

socknitster wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:16 am
Thanks for the tips.

I asked about the SD card and they said they don't provide them anymore because there is a cell phone inside the machine that transmits the data directly to my provider.

I'll look up OSCAR. Thanks!
It came with the card.

RESMED is adamant. The Airsense 10 APAP/CPAP must be used with the official RESMED Airsense 10 SD Card. ... Plus the RESMED SD Card comes with a nice protective folder (although it spends most of its life sitting in the CPAP machine.)

The DME removes them.

JPB

Actually any brand of SD card works.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:57 am

jimbud wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 am

It came with the card.

RESMED is adamant. The Airsense 10 APAP/CPAP must be used with the official RESMED Airsense 10 SD Card. ... Plus the RESMED SD Card comes with a nice protective folder (although it spends most of its life sitting in the CPAP machine.)

The DME removes them.

JPB

Actually any brand of SD card works.
GRRRRR. I told the young woman at the DME that I read my own cards with my previous machine back in the day. So she lied to me when she said "they don't come with them because they aren't needed."

Why on Earth would they remove them? Is there a resale market for SD cards with the ResMed logo? LOL.

I just downloaded the ResMed app to look at it. What a piece of garbage. Sheesh. And the machine display tells me nothing besides how long I used the thing.

Pardon my language, but I'm a little pissed. An SD card is now on my shopping list. Is there a size I should look for?

Thank you so much for this new information. I'm trying to sift through everything to catch up on what has changed. I'll be downloading OSCAR asap.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:06 am

It does not take much memory. Probably find the smallest you can. A 1 gig will do it, but any smallish card will do. (cheaper) :D

JPB

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 am

I forgot to ask: does the SD card need to be formatted in any way or do I just pop it in the machine?

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:32 am

Just pop it in the machine. :D

JPB