Discussion/feedback thread for CPAPfit Pillow beta testers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

What final changes, if any, did you make to your CPAPfit Pillow (beta testing version)?

None - the pillow was perfect the way it was originally packed.
19%
I added additional hulls to my beta pillow.
No votes
I added additional foam to my beta pillow.
19%
I added additional hulls and foam to my beta pillow.
6%
I added additional hulls and removed foam from my beta pillow.
No votes
I added additional foam and removed hulls from my beta pillow.
6%
I removed some hulls from my beta pillow.
6%
I removed some foam from my beta pillow.
No votes
I removed some hulls and some foam from my beta pillow.
44%

Total votes: 16

yaconsult

Re: Discussion/feedback thread for CPAPfit Pillow beta testers

Post by yaconsult » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am

There was another interesting aspect of the model pillow that I got - the one with bags of extra foam and extra hulls. The top edge has a zipper while the bottom edge is more rounded. It might be described as teardrop shaped when viewed from the side, if you can picture that. This gives the option of putting the normally thicker rounded section under the neck or the thinner section if one wanted more or less neck support. Of course, the filling can also be shaped as one wishes.

Do people with this model pillow put the zipper at the top or the bottom? I have been putting the zipper at the top to have more neck support.

I am curious if the more recent model of the pillow also has a thicker and a thinner edge?

deerhound

Post by deerhound » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:53 pm

I am part of the latest test group with the new quilt cover. I received mine a week ago already filled with hulls and foam. Initially I took about 9 cups of mixed fill out of the pillow. I am a big guy and it seemed that the pillow wasn't tall enough so after 3 nights I put all of the fill I removed back in, which seems to suit me better. I have used many pillows: Double Edge PAPillow - I didn't like it at all. Tempurpedic rectangular pillow - OK but seemed hard at times and it would be somewhat painful at times. Various brands of memory foam pillow with a small hump on one side and a large hump on the other side - these have been OK but they too seemed hard at times and have caused me pain. About 6 months ago I bought The Bamboo Pillow at Sams Club and have been using it since I bought them - they are a shredded memory foam and have been OK but amazingly they too seem hard at times and cause pain. They have given me less trouble moving my Airfit P10 mask around than my previous pillows and so I stayed with that pillow. I never would have tried buckwheat hull pillows but for Bret's test. I have bee pleasantly surprised that I haven't yet had the sensation of hardness that I experienced with the memory foam pillows. I also do not notice any noise from the hulls. I am not ready to call it a great pillow yet, but it is in the running for that designation. I still have to use it for a while longer to make that determination since it is so different from anything else I have ever used.

Thanks for including me in the test Bret. I will rate it on Amazon.com after using it a couple of weeks longer. If you have any questions let me kinow and I will answer them.

Dale

AHI:
Untreated 156
Treated 1.1

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 pm

I just used mine right out of the shipping box with no modifications, tho I can see how some might want it firmer or softer. It's a nice well-made pillow and worth the money.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

AWMIII

Post by AWMIII » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

I got mine 3 days ago. I removed about 25% as per the instructions. I added back about 1/3. I think I am going to add back a little more tonight. I am still working on getting it right. First night I had a lot of neck pain. I have stenosis at C6/C7. Last night was better.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:43 pm

My husband used it the first night, and he really likes it. I had removed about half of the filling, trying to leave in the foam pieces and remove mostly hulls.
I'll give my opinion in a few more days- after I've had a chance to sleep on it and adjust the amount of filling.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:25 pm

I used to live in Alaska so I did not qualify for the beta tests. I'm now in Utah. How do I change my info or whatever for the beta program to qualify for these now?

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:13 am

blakepro wrote:I used to live in Alaska so I did not qualify for the beta tests. I'm now in Utah. How do I change my info or whatever for the beta program to qualify for these now?

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:14 am

blakepro wrote:I used to live in Alaska so I did not qualify for the beta tests. I'm now in Utah. How do I change my info or whatever for the beta program to qualify for these now?
Send me an email. Sleepguy@comcast.net

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:35 am

I got the CPAPfit CPAP pillow one month ago and have been switching back and forth between it and two of the contour foam pillows used together.

My pillow came completely filled quite generously - probably too much filling for most people - but this made it thick enough that I could use it to replace both foam pillows. For my taste, I found the default filling a little too "crunchy" or hard. So I added half of the additional bag of foam filling and then a couple of nights later the second half of the additional foam. And I think that that is what is going to work best for me and what I have voted in the poll.

The ability to shape the pillow is its big advantage. Because I use the Breeze nasal pillow system, I don't have any mask/pillow interference problems but it seems like a big advantage that people can easily create hollows to allow room for masks or hoses. Or if you want more neck support, you can move the hulls to provide it.

There is so much personal preference involved with pillows! Usually, you buy one and you either like it or you don't like it. This is the first time that I have had a customizable pillow. And the customer support has been outstanding as Bret addresses every issue raised by customers on Amazon. It is certainly a top quality and well supported product.

I will be doing my Amazon review soon. I wonder if it might be worth listing the options people have should they want to order additional filling materials? I can see advantages and disadvantages of doing so.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:30 pm

deerhound wrote:I am part of the latest test group with the new quilt cover. I received mine a week ago already filled with hulls and foam. Initially I took about 9 cups of mixed fill out of the pillow. I am a big guy and it seemed that the pillow wasn't tall enough so after 3 nights I put all of the fill I removed back in, which seems to suit me better. I have used many pillows: Double Edge PAPillow - I didn't like it at all. Tempurpedic rectangular pillow - OK but seemed hard at times and it would be somewhat painful at times. Various brands of memory foam pillow with a small hump on one side and a large hump on the other side - these have been OK but they too seemed hard at times and have caused me pain. About 6 months ago I bought The Bamboo Pillow at Sams Club and have been using it since I bought them - they are a shredded memory foam and have been OK but amazingly they too seem hard at times and cause pain. They have given me less trouble moving my Airfit P10 mask around than my previous pillows and so I stayed with that pillow. I never would have tried buckwheat hull pillows but for Bret's test. I have bee pleasantly surprised that I haven't yet had the sensation of hardness that I experienced with the memory foam pillows. I also do not notice any noise from the hulls. I am not ready to call it a great pillow yet, but it is in the running for that designation. I still have to use it for a while longer to make that determination since it is so different from anything else I have ever used.

Thanks for including me in the test Bret. I will rate it on Amazon.com after using it a couple of weeks longer. If you have any questions let me kinow and I will answer them.

Dale
Thanks, Dale. I am a little late to reading this thread--got distracted by some of the other posts here. The pillow is totally unconventional in that it provides firm support but in a way that's infinitely adjustable. Hopefully the thicker quilt will address most of the comfort comments I have seen in the past. Looking forward to additional feedback from you. It's great to get the comparison to the competition.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Cardsfan wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this pillow is too hard? No matter how much stuffing I take out, it is still too hard.
Cardsfan, remind me if you got the thin or the thick quilt? You're not the only one because the hulls do bind up in compression to provide firm support. But they're also highly moldable. Your head and neck really need adjustable support. Finding the comfort/support balance is a trick and this pillow accomplishes that in a totally unique way compared to any other pillow.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:34 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:I just used mine right out of the shipping box with no modifications, tho I can see how some might want it firmer or softer. It's a nice well-made pillow and worth the money.
Some people make this report but I think you're risking having a very hard pillow. If you can remove even 1/3 of the volume it becomes far more adjustable. It ships way overstuffed so there's extra filling for later. But if it works for you full, then that's great!

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:35 pm

SleepGuy wrote:
So it turns out that blakepro and I are literally neighbors. And we already know each other. It's a small world sometimes! LOL

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 pm

yaconsult wrote:.... a customizable pillow. ...
I think this is the perfect description of this pillow. I've used other buckwheat hull pillows, but they were sewn shut.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:57 pm

SleepGuy wrote:
SleepGuy wrote:
So it turns out that blakepro and I are literally neighbors. And we already know each other. It's a small world sometimes! LOL
Yeah, that was a fun surprise! We'll have to chat sometime soon.