Machine motor whining - please help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
blakepro

Machine motor whining - please help

Post by blakepro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:50 pm

I have a PRS1 50 auto and it has been working faithfully for years.

I recently went on a business trip and took my machine with me. I was careful with it, took it as carry on, didnt drop it or hit it into anything (as far as I know)

Anyway, When I got back home I switched out everything on the machine. (new hose, mask, filters, humidifier chamber etc)

That night, I noticed that the machine is now making a high pitch whine that matches the speed of the blower motor. So when I inhale or exhale it's constantly changing pitch and intensity. I originally thought it might be related to changing out my other equipment, but I unhooked everything and tried just limiting the flow of the air coming out of the machine with my thumb and it still made the same types of noises.

I'm feeling like my machine is starting to wear out / break. It seems like the blower needs oil or something. *shrug*

Has anyone had this happen to them? Can I fix it? Is there anything I can do, or should I start saving for a new machine?

palerider

Re: Machine motor whining - please help

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:34 pm

blakepro wrote:I have a PRS1 50 auto ...
Has anyone had this happen to them?
I had a nearly new prs1 60 series auto that did the same thing.

faint whine from the blower motor, didn't like it, sold it to someone, got a resmed s9 vpap auto, quieter.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:51 pm

My 750 machine got very loud before the blower motor went.. It was my backup machine and was using for a full month of March to make sure it was OK.. Well on the 25th it died in the middle of the night.

I felt lucky that it was my backup machine. I ended up sending it out to a forum member named accurate. Accurate(Ian) who owns Accurate BioMed Services. He got the blower motor repaired for a very reasonable price.

Since it is a older model you might consider getting a new machine like the 60 Series.

I wish you well..

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:58 pm

Seems like the current versions of cpap machines from Respironics (the PRS1 60) and Resmed (S9) have been around for a while now. I wonder if there are any new revisions on the horizon. I prefer Respironics equipment. Anyone have any insight into how often they release update machines?

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:04 pm

blakepro wrote:Seems like the current versions of cpap machines from Respironics (the PRS1 60) and Resmed (S9) have been around for a while now. I wonder if there are any new revisions on the horizon. I prefer Respironics equipment. Anyone have any insight into how often they release update machines?
the 60 series IS the new machine.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:07 pm

blakepro wrote:Seems like the current versions of cpap machines ... and Resmed (S9) have been around for a while now. I wonder if there are any new revisions on the horizon.
The Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10 are the new lines for Resmed.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:46 pm

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:54 pm

You can probably find a good used 550 on craigslist for a lot less

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/5058946187.html
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:02 am

palerider wrote: the 60 series IS the new machine.
Yeah, I guess your right. I just thought maybe they would have a newer revision since the 60 has been out for a while now.
Krelvin wrote: The Airsense 10 and Aircurve 10 are the new lines for Resmed.
Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I thought that those were just travel sized alternatives, not their full fledged new product line, but it looks like I was wrong about that. Seems like Respironics would be launching a new product line to remain competitive.
Thank you for looking that up. I was a little surprised with the price. I may have to consider whether I want to put money into buying parts, or buying a new machine. (I've considered used ones, but they always scare me for some reason.

Does anyone know if there are places you can sell old or broken machines to for parts?

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:48 am

I will buy your old machine. pm me
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Delco

Post by Delco » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:49 am

Mine was making noise, then I turned it on its side and it went quiet. I don't use the humidifier.

blakepro

Post by blakepro » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:23 am

My machine has 10,020 blower hours. Is that a lot for a cpap machine? How many do you typically get before the machine dies?

dadbar

Post by dadbar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 am

This happened to my old Respironics Remstar machine. I took it apart and found that the screws holding the motor onto its flexible coupling had loosened so the impeller was hitting the plastic housing. That's why turning it upside down makes it quiet. Just tightening the screws made the noise go away. After having this happen a few times while traveling, I put a dab of nail polish on each screw and the issue disappeared.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:46 am

blakepro wrote:Seems like the current versions of cpap machines from Respironics (the PRS1 60) and Resmed (S9) have been around for a while now. I wonder if there are any new revisions on the horizon. I prefer Respironics equipment. Anyone have any insight into how often they release update machines?
VERY soon.