How to remove sleep study goop from hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepingUgly

How to remove sleep study goop from hair

Post by SleepingUgly » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Anyone have any good recommendations for how to remove that goop that is put in the hair during sleep studies? To my memory, it didn't come out well even with washing several times.
Last edited by SleepingUgly on Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

steelheadid

Re: How to remove sleep study goop in hair

Post by steelheadid » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I was told to use rubbing alcohol and it worked for the most part, but I did find I was still combing out small bits for week.

montana user

Re: How to remove sleep study goop in hair

Post by montana user » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:36 pm

do you know what they used? One lab I worked in actually used a glue ( the stuff movie actors use for fake beards,etc) and I know use the same paste I put on the electrodes, holds the wires on. If its the glue the best thing is conditioner. Let it sit for at least 5 min. We used non-acetone finger nail polish remover to loosen the glue, so if its still there after the shower, try polish remover. If its the paste, then one good shampoo should do the trick. I'm sure there are other gels, glue's that are used, but those are the two I have worked with.

Muse-Inc

Re: How to remove sleep study goop from hair

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Hey is the gritty white stuff glue or paste? The gritty stuff cost me a bunch of hair and I had (and have) none to spare so I was pretty upset over losing what little I still have. Us cats hate anything that messes with our fur

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

montana user

Post by montana user » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:38 pm

Its a paste that gets hard like glue. sorry you lost hair over it, we try not to do that.

Komodo

Post by Komodo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 am

SleepingUgly wrote:Anyone have any good recommendations for how to remove that goop that is put in the hair during sleep studies? To my memory, it didn't come out well even with washing several times.
Peanutbutter

Massage LARGE globs of it into your hair, really work it in well. Let it set for a few minutes to "soak" into the hair, then shampoo everything out. Comb your hair and any glue globs left should comb right out easily with no problem.

I had to do that several times when my kids were little and had gum, or glue, stuck in their hair. Worked like a charm everytime!

Rustyolddude

Post by Rustyolddude » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 am

The lab I was at provided some kind of liquid body wash, it was similar to Phisoderm , not very 'soapy' and didn't have a fragrance. Anyway, the key tip I was told was to use the hottest water that you can stand as the goop is heat activated.

BleepingBeauty

Post by BleepingBeauty » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:10 am

I've had five sleep studies done in three different labs. I've only ever had the white goop applied (like the paste montana user referenced above) to the leads on my head.

FWIW, I've found that if I let the hot water in the shower run over my hair for several minutes before I start shampooing, the goop loosens up a bit. Three shampoos will remove the vast majority of the residue, and then a comb works well to remove whatever bits are still stuck to my scalp.

*Peanut butter probably works very well, but I only ever buy the chunky variety.
Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Dx 11/07: AHI 107, central apnea, Cheyne Stokes respiration, moderate-severe O2 desats. (Simple OSA would be too easy. ;))

PR S1 ASV 950, DreamWear mask, F&P 150 humidifier, O2 @ 2L.

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:46 am

Hmm since i keep my hair sort of short it came out with a bit of good scrubbing and shampoo for me.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

pam933

Post by pam933 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:48 am

The first sleep study I did used something that came out when I washed my hair.

The second one used some kind of glue that would not come out (even after sitting with conditioner in my hair for 1/2 hour).

I ended up using a combination of one of those really fine-toothed combs that people use to get lice out and just scratching it out with my nails. I have long hair so it took forever, but that comb really helped.

neverbetter

Post by neverbetter » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

yes...it's paste and alcohol will remove it. Rubbing or Jack Daniels. Both work.Or, drink the Jack Daniels and use the rubbing alcohol to remove the hair lead paste...
If you have seizures, they did use glue for the leasd, not paste.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:41 pm

For my first sleep study, they used collodion to cement the leads in place; ether or acetone (nail polish remover) will remove most of it, the rest can be combed or brushed out. For my second sleep study they used a thick, messy paste that the technician said could be easily washed out with hot water and shampoo; the problem is that the sleep clinic did not have any hot water in the shower -- it was between cool and lukewarm. I had to go into work without a shower, wearing a ball cap to cover up the paste in my hair.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:58 pm

My daughter when she was 3 had high fever with seizures so they did some tests. To mark the place to put the electrodes they used a green/blue crayon. Getting the paste out wasn't a problem but the crayon ran in her very blond hair and she had blue/green streaks for weeks.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:52 am

I think they will use collodion. I understand from the internet that there is a collodion remover, but it seems like overkill for me to buy it... Wouldn't they have it there and be using that to get it off my hair? Who knows.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

base2balls

Post by base2balls » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:28 pm

When I had mine done, they used some kind of a gel stuff that dries clear but still goopy in my hair. It was green. They told me to stand in the shower under the hottest water I could stand to get it out. So I did that and stood there for a few minutes and then washed my hair real well with the shapoo/body wash they had in the dispensor in the shower and it came out. Not a problem and no other bits and pieces of gel to comb out. Have a great day, Huggies, Fay