Taking My Mask Off While Sleeping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Davey B

Taking My Mask Off While Sleeping

Post by Davey B » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Well I have been using my CPAP for 8 days now - On the first night I slept for 7hrs 28mins with no problems.

But every night since I have taken my mask off and not realized I have done so until I wake up.

My compliance summary shows I sleep on average for 3hrs 45mins and then I turn the CPAP off and remove my mask, but I don't know I am doing it. I then wake up at approx 8:00am an additional 3 hours later without the mask on.

The sleep technician says this happens sometimes and it will just take a little more time to get use to using the machine.

Has anyone else had any experience with this ? and if so, how did you deal with it ?

Many thanks

Dave

Lizistired

Re: Taking My Mask Off While Sleeping

Post by Lizistired » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:42 pm

Relax, it takes some getting used too. Are you physically turning the machine off or are you using an auto start/stop feature? If so, it might help to turn that off. Hearing the mask blowing might remind you to put it back on.
But really don't beat yourself up. It's like being told not to sleep on your back... You're asleep, it's not a decision you make.
Are you having any trouble with mask fit or leaks. I hate feeling cold air blowing on me.
Go to the control panel in the upper left and undate your equipment in your signature. Lots of folks will be able to offer you tips depending on your mask type. It does get easier. Just try to figure out what makes you take it off.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:43 am

It is common. Some people take a bit of tape and tape the edges of the mask to a couple of places on their face so that when they take the mask off in the middle of the night that the slight discomfort will wake them and thus be prodded to leave the mask alone.

I have been using the machine almost 2 years now. About 3 months ago I woke up and the mask was off, machine off. I have the leak alert on but I slept right through it. Checked my reports and I took it off about 3 hours into the night. Never knew it.
So it happens to most of us at some time or another. Never did it when I first started though but on a rare occasion the mask does come off and I turn off the machine and never remember it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

montana user

Post by montana user » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:54 am

I have done this several times as well. As a sleep tech I let each Patient know that this will happen, and my reasoning is this- the brain doesnt know what the heck that thing is and doesnt like it, so you take it off. But after a coouple weeks and you start to feel better the brain really likes that thing on your face. Now I dont know how true this is, but it makes sense to me. so just put it back on and soon the brain will love it!