Need help adjusting Remstar CFlex Philips Respironics

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ArtistinArizona

Need help adjusting Remstar CFlex Philips Respironics

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:38 pm

Greetings!
I am so glad to find this forum.
In December I was prescribed to get a device to control my sleep apnea.
I purchased
http://www.cpap-supply.com/REMstar-Plus ... s250hs.htm
also called:
New Philips Respironics Sleep Therapy system (REMstar Plus with C-Flex) machine from Philips Respironics, called the Philips Respironics sleep system, System One, and REMstar Plus, and Q Series.

Thus far I have purchased:
REMstar Plus C-Flex, Heated Humidfier, SD Card

ComfortGel Nasal Mask with Headgear - Small (1009041)

SnuggleHose CPAP Hose Cover - 6 Feet-CREAM COLOR

Chin Strap

AND just received a nasal pillows mask. Swift FX Nasal Pillows Mask

With the Nasal Mask:
I wake up several times a night when I am able to keep the mask on OR
I wake up having removed the mask entirely.

So, I ordered a nasal pillows device but find the pressure setting of 10 to be quite high with the nasal mask.
It's as if I can't exhale.
Is the number 10 too high when I use the pillows mask?

Can someone tell me how to change the settings so I may decrease the amount of airflow?

I am not getting much sleep and about to give up on this device all together. I am so disappointed.
I have a lot of seizures and was hoping to get better sleep and also to help my seizures to stop.
ALL HELP APPRECIATED MUCHLY!
Thank you!
Gloria

jules

Re: Need help adjusting Remstar CFlex Philips Respironics

Post by jules » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:42 pm

were you titrated at 10?

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Hi, Jules,
thanks for responding.
I was at a 10 for the nasal gel mask and it was alright, but, with the pillow mask, I asked if it should be adjusted and haven't received a response. The firm from which I purchased the device simply isn't good at customer service.

Thank you

jules

Post by jules » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 pm

did you have a night in the sleep lab with the mask on you and did the sleep lab say your pressure should be 10?

with that machine you get no data so I am trying to figure out why you want to change the pressure ------ if you need 10 you need 10

jules

Post by jules » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:50 pm

what do you have cflex set to?

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:55 pm

jules wrote:did you have a night in the sleep lab with the mask on you and did the sleep lab say your pressure should be 10?

with that machine you get no data so I am trying to figure out why you want to change the pressure ------ if you need 10 you need 10
Yes, I has a night in a sleep lab and it was recommended that I have my machine at 10.

My question is that now that I have switched to a pillows mask, should it remain at 10 or do people find that another setting is better with the pillows. I asked the company from whom I purchased the unit and, as of yet, two weeks later, have not responded to my query.

My cflex is at 3, to my understanding the maximum release.

Thanks for your helpfulness.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:58 pm

to change the pressure setting, turn the rotating button to SETUP

Then push the 2 buttons on top simultaneously
Check the menu one by one by rotating the button until you get the pressure menu and click it to select and change preesure

Unfortunately since they give you a dumb CPAP, you have no data to know whether your therapy is effective or not, so whatever the pressure, nobody knows which is better for you. This is tragic

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation
Resmed airsense 10

jules

Post by jules » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:03 pm

ArtistinArizona wrote: I have a lot of seizures and was hoping to get better sleep and also to help my seizures to stop.
Gloria
playing with pressure should be done with the permission of your doctor if you have seizures

Patrick A

Post by Patrick A » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:02 am

jules wrote:
ArtistinArizona wrote: I have a lot of seizures and was hoping to get better sleep and also to help my seizures to stop.
Gloria
playing with pressure should be done with the permission of your doctor if you have seizures
I would contact my doctor before you do anything with the settings if you have seizures.
Don't Bend or Squash, My Aluminum Hat,it keeps them from knowing what I am thinking!
I need more Coffee&Old Bushmills!
"Without Truckdrivers America Stops!"
I'm not always wrong,but I'm not always right!
"Semper Fi"

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 am

jules wrote:
Gloria
Hi, Jules
I think you are quite right and I did try to get an answer but haven't been called back about this. I am so tired and desperately trying to get some sleep. The lack of sleep is a significant role in my seizure activity.
Thanks, again.

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 am

cpapernewbie wrote:to change the pressure setting, turn the rotating button to SETUP

Then push the 2 buttons on top simultaneously
Check the menu one by one by rotating the button until you get the pressure menu and click it to select and change preesure

Unfortunately since they give you a dumb CPAP, you have no data to know whether your therapy is effective or not, so whatever the pressure, nobody knows which is better for you. This is tragic
Thanks for the information, cpapernewbie.
I shall try this out this afternoon when I'll likely have to lie down because I didn't sleep again last night.

You gave me a good laugh when you said "dumb CPAP" and I thank you for that as well!

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:24 am

Patrick A wrote:
jules wrote:
Gloria
I would contact my doctor before you do anything with the settings if you have seizures.

Thank you both, Jules and Patrick. I am trying to get some answers on this from my doctor and will pursue it again this week. I am just so tired and am aware of the risks with trying to change this without my doctor's help. But, I also consider the fact that sleep deprivation causes my seizures to escalate and the inherent, obvious risks with more and increasingly stronger seizures.

I guess my post should read, does wearing a pillow mask usually mean that the airflow is less than if one wears a nasal mask.

I have mild to moderate sleep apnea with oxygen levels that dip to low 80's. Frankly, I think I got better sleep for a week when I wasn't using the machine while I waited for the nasal pillow mask.

Thanks, again. Any other suggestions?

Thank you again for your responses. It is muchly appreciated.

jules

Post by jules » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:31 am

the pressure needs are based on your anatomy and not how severe the apnea is

you need to push your doctor not the DME on any pressure adjustments - the DME can't change it without an order from your doctor

if you are really in trouble with seizures and sleep go to the nearest ER and get them to contact your doctor - your doctor might respond to them faster than to you directly

the discussion of pressure needs change with different masks has been discussed here before - some say no change in needed - some say they do need to fine tune the pressure

however as I and cpapnewbie pointed out, your machine has no data to help you fine tune the pressure (once you get your doctor's approval)
jules wrote:
with that machine you get no data so I am trying to figure out why you want to change the pressure ------

ArtistinArizona

Post by ArtistinArizona » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:47 am

[quote="jules"]the pressure needs are based on your anatomy and not how severe the apnea is

you need to push your doctor not the DME on any pressure adjustments - the DME can't change it without an order from your doctor

if you are really in trouble with seizures and sleep go to the nearest ER and get them to contact your doctor - your doctor might respond to them faster than to you directly

the discussion of pressure needs change with different masks has been discussed here before - some say no change in needed - some say they do need to fine tune the pressure

however as I and cpapnewbie pointed out, your machine has no data to help you fine tune the pressure (once you get your doctor's approval)

[quote="jules"]

Jules, you've been terrific and I very much appreciate your helpfulness. I shall contact my doctor's office. The problem has not been the doctor, but, rather the supplier who is supposed to contact my doctor for changes. When I needed a mask and the supplier wouldn't call the resp therapist who performed my sleep study and fitted me for a mask, I should have gone elsewhere. I did call my doctor's office at that point and immediately got a call back with the mask information I wanted. So, I shall bypass the supplier and call the doctor's office tomorrow. I know doctor's are so busy, but, my seizures have gotten significantly worse the last two months in intensity and frequency so I really need to get this right and see if it can help deter the seizures.

What a great group of people. I hope to be able to contribute once I get this figured out.

Thanks so much, everyone.

jules

Post by jules » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:06 am

the supplier is the DME - durable medical equipment (person or place that sells them)

the DME won't do much without a doctor's order - some RT's are better than others but their hands are tied by state regulations and company policies many more times than not

you may not have a choice to move to another DME - check it out carefully - it all depends on insurance and contract you signed - if you get a copy of your cpap script you can buy online out of pocket (masks, machines, etc.)