Resmed S8 Escape II EPR not enabled - HOW?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kickthefog

Resmed S8 Escape II EPR not enabled - HOW?

Post by Kickthefog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Everyone. I just picked up my Resmed S8 Escape II from my DME today at 5:00pm. My first night of home therapy awaits and i can't wait to see how it goes. BUT, i was reading about the EPR easy exhale thing with settings from 1-3 and they mention tweaking it if you are uncomfortable, but it doesn't appear in my menu. So i'm assuming they have some good or cool features, like this, that they don't want me playing with for a while, much less on my first night. But i can't help but wonder that when (hopefully not) I'm ticked off at 3am tonight and am uncomfortable and want to increase the EPR to try and make things more confortable for my first night, that i can't get into those menus. I don't plan on messing with anything really except ramp perhaps, but how do i get in to change EPR setting if i get desperately uncomforatable and want to try "something" to get some sleep?

Another interesting thing is during my titration, My sleep tech said i slept good at a pressure of 10 but consistenly woke up when they bumped me to 11. When i picked up my machine tonight, I expected it to be set to 10 but they said the doc ordered a pressure of 11. no good explanantion as to why when asked. So also wondering how to bump my pressure back to 10 at some point if i'm weeks into this and still not sleeping good.

Any thoughts and adice on that, and how to enter the EPR menu?

Thanks so much and wish me luck tonight!

Pat

scrapper

Re: Resmed S8 Escape II EPR not enabled - HOW?

Post by scrapper » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:24 pm

I do not have the exact machine you do, however try holding the right button and down arrow for three seconds at the same time, and see if you don't enter the clinician's menu.

“Life is 10% what happens to you, and 90% what you make of it.” Charles Swindoll

peppi

Post by peppi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

You need to go in to the clinician menu by pushing the right arrow and down arrow key simultaneously for 3 seconds.
Then push the enter button until you get to settings.
Then enter that and push the down arrow button until you get to EPR ACCESS. Its default to NO. Push enter and then change it to "YES" by pushing the up arrow key once.
Push enter to accept and exit.
This will give you the Access to the EPR setting in your user menu.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Phil

Thanks,
Phil

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Pat, you should swap the usage-hours-only Escape (I know, I had one) for the Elite II which is fully data-capable. The only data on the Escape is how many hrs it was used, nothing else. Typically you have the right to swap it out...do it soon! Without data, you cannot review your nightly leak, AHI, AI, HI, etc. You cannot spot long-term trends. You cannot intelligently tweak your therapy; in fact, you cannot discuss your therapy with your doctor except to say you feel better or worse using the Escape. After 27 months using the Escape, I purchased the ResMed AutoSet II and feel so much better.

It makes me wonder how much faster my recovery might have gone if I'd had data all that time...I sure wouldn't have had a 6-month backslid with increased events & apnea symptoms 'cause I'd have seen my numbers increase and could have investigated early. Do the swap!

PS I was also titrated at 10 and machine set to 11...seems to be common to bump 1 cmH20.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Good info. thanks everyone. i'll try the buttons right now.

As far as data... that ticks me off. I was told this Escape was the replacement (newer model) for the Elite. That shows what i know, I belived it. Also shows what my DME chicky poo does not know. Or they are just trying to dump the lesser units on the dumb newbies like me! I already ordered a card reader for it too the moment i got home with it becuase i was banking on reading some data in the next few days! Looks like i'll be able to read read the same dumb usage data that i already see on the display! lol! oh boy.. live and learn i guess. thanks so much for the heads up Muse.

That blows... major bummed. I'll be calling them in the morning, no doubt about that. thanks for the info everyone. Appreciate it!
Pat

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Tell them they gave you the WRONG machine. THEY must have been confused because they both start with an "E".

There is no substitute for "data-capability".

And, they lied to you.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:26 pm

I called them up and politely complained. Much to my surprise, They said they would get me the machine i wanted. So i told her either the S8 Elite II or the S8 Autoset II. She replied that she may not be able to get me the auto without my doc saying yes to it but she said she could get me the Elite II for sure and would even overnight it for Saturday delivery. So much more helpful than i imagined they would be.

I think i know the answer to this already but if i can get the S8 autoset... should I choose that over the Elite II? I'm getting the Elite II at a minimum so i'm excited about that but if given the choice, should i take the Auto?
thanks!
Pat

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:35 pm

Kickthefog wrote:. . . should i take the Auto?
thanks!
Pat

YES!

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Kickthefog wrote:I'm getting the Elite II at a minimum so i'm excited about that but if given the choice, should i take the Auto?
Welcome, Kickthefrog! I wanted to chime in to add my vote for "Yes, get the Autoset II if you can." Both the Elite II (which I have) and the Autoset II will give you the same AHI, AI, HI and leak data that you need to monitor your therapy, but the Autoset II is more versatile because it can run in either auto-adjust mode or as a regular CPAP.

~ DreamOn

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Go for the Auto, it can be run as straight CPAP but the auto mode is sweet...at least for me .

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:01 am

Actually, they don't really, really, realllllly have to get your doctor's "ok" to give you the AutoSet II. As Muse and DreamOn mentioned, the AutoSet II (and any autopap, for that matter) can be set to operate in CPAP mode at the single pressure that was prescribed for you. An autopap machine is a CPAP machine for billing purposes (same insurance code as for "cpap", and for treatment purposes (if they simply set it for CPAP mode and a single fixed pressure.)

They may honestly believe they need a different prescription from the doctor, but they don't. Your current "cpap" prescription legally covers an autopap ...they simply set the autopap for "cpap" mode.

An autopap is more expensive for them (read "less profit") so they would rather not give out an autopap if they can keep from it. I don't mean they are trying to be dishonest or anything. They probably just aren't used to even thinking of an autopap as being a "cpap." They can run their business however they wish, however, so if it's their own policy that they have to have a new prescription for an autopap, that's that.

It will be simpler to accept the Elite II for the swap. Or, you can try contacting your doctor to ask for a prescription for the Autoset II specifically.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks very much everyone! I appreciate your help. I will certainly go for the Auto for sure and do my best to get it. I will certainly press abit and ask exactly why i can't if they say no to the auto, using the info you provided Rested Gal.

thanks so much again. I'll finally be able to update my profile and become one of the gang here once i know what i have!
thanks!
Pat

DreamOn

Post by DreamOn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:57 pm

Kickthefog wrote:Thanks very much everyone! I appreciate your help. I will certainly go for the Auto for sure and do my best to get it. I will certainly press abit and ask exactly why i can't if they say no to the auto, using the info you provided Rested Gal.

thanks so much again. I'll finally be able to update my profile and become one of the gang here once i know what i have!
thanks!
Pat
Oops! I just noticed that your username is "Kickthefog", not "Kickthefrog" as I addressed you in my earlier post! Sorry about that, all you amphibian lovers (myself included).

You're already one of the gang, Pat. Glad to have you join us. Please let us know how your therapy is going once you get your new machine.

~ DreamOn

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:49 pm

DreamOn wrote:Oops! I just noticed that your username is "Kickthefog", not "Kickthefrog" as I addressed you in my earlier post! Sorry about that, all you amphibian lovers (myself included).
ROTFL!!
DreamOn wrote:You're already one of the gang, Pat. Glad to have you join us. Please let us know how your therapy is going once you get your new machine.

~ DreamOn
Ditto to DreamOn's welcome to you, Kick.
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:53 pm

That's ok. People always mistake it for Frog. no problemo! thanks for making me feel welcome! great to be here!