New Diagnosis - Sleep Apnea - advice on equipment?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kickthefog

New Diagnosis - Sleep Apnea - advice on equipment?

Post by Kickthefog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 am

Hi everyone,
I was referred here by my older brothers who both have Sleep apnea and now, thanks to recent diagnosis, so do I. I've been having all sorts of health issues for the last several years, Seizures/Migraines, Chest Pain, etc... and am absolutely delighted (honest) to have found SOMETHING that has been causing at a minimum, my brain fog and memory issues, not to mention who knows what else. I have had my first sleep study and was diagnosed with many hypopneas and apneas (86 per hour on average) and i apparently stop breathing an average of 62 times per hour when supine and 40 times when non-supine. I go back tonight for my 2nd sleep study to wear "the hose" and get my pressure setting figured out. i have already asked what types of machines will be available to me through my sleep center and they have said that my insurance will most likely pay for one of the 2 machines that they can offer me through the sleep center. Can any of you offer advice as to which is the better choice? Any input from people using these machines currently ?

they are:
The resmed S8 Elite II with heated Humidifier and memory card.
and....
the Respironics remstar M series Plus with heated humidifier and memory card.

As far as features go, i want to make sure i can get software for my machine, whatever i get, so that i can monitor what the heck is going on from night to night. i am not one to lay back and let things happen, especially having felt like crap for so long so i want a good quaility machine with good features that i can monitor my activity and progress. Any input on either? thanks so much for your help and input. it is sincerely appreciated.

Great to be here with you.

Pat

Cavallo

Re: New Diagnosis - Sleep Apnea - advice on equipment?

Post by Cavallo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:46 am

I was shown both machines at my DME. I found the ResMed unit to be quieter. I read complaints online that the blue LEDs illuminating the buttons on the Remstar were far too bright in a dark room and not dimmable. Lo and behold - they were. The ResMed does not suffer this drawback. The ResMed unit has an integrated power supply. The Remstar has a power brick halfway along the cord. I never had a chance to compare the data available from the LCD screens on both units, but I am told the ResMed units offer more. Being a control freak, I liked this.

Needless to say, I was not a fan of the Remstar.

Ultimately, I wound up with a ResMed S8 AutoSet II, which gives me the option of CPAP or APAP. The cost to me was the same, so I opted for more options.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

sierragail

Post by sierragail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

Hi Kickthefog,
First of all, congrats on your diagnosis. I too was thrilled (to the point of laughing hysterically) when I was told that I had severe sleep apnea. I wanted to jump for joy because finally after all these years of feeling like I had one foot in the grave, chest pains, leg cramps, brain fog, confusion, dizziness, no energy, low concentration, poor memory, etc etc~~~~~finally perhaps I had the answer. I've been on my machine for just 25 days now and already I feel better. It's been an up and down thing though, some good nights, some not so good nights, but I'm a newbie and in time all these things will be sorted out.

The machine I was given was neither of the ones you mentioned so I'm unable to give advice on those. I was given a System One REMstar Auto. I can access data daily (thanks to SocalMonkey here who taught me how to do that), but there is no software as yet that I know of. I like my machine a lot. It is quiet. It can adjust between cpap mode and auto-pap mode and there are many other features as well, like a ramp button that lets you gradually adjust to the increase of pressure. You can find more detailed reviews of this machine in earlier posts, in case you are interested.

When you get your machine and mask, please let us know how you like it, especially the mask, because I'm in the market for new masks. I don't like mine and I'm looking for input from others on their masks.

~~gail

2ndGenCPAPgal

Post by 2ndGenCPAPgal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:19 am

Kickthefog wrote:
they are:
The resmed S8 Elite II with heated Humidifier and memory card.
and....
the Respironics remstar M series Plus with heated humidifier and memory card.
Of the 2 machines you listed, only the Resmed s8 Elite II will provide complete/therapy data. However, software for this machine must be purchased from a supplier in Australia. I think you can get the card reader from our host or other US suppliers.

The resprionics Remstar Plus will only give you hours of use ("compliance") data. If you want a Resprionics, you would want at minimum the Remstar Pro. Resprionics also makes a model that is something like "Auto w/ A-Flex" that would also have the data you want. The Resprionics software and card reader are available from our host and other US suppliers. Yes the blue lights can be a bit bright for sleeping, but I just cover mine with whatever I have handy. And personally, I like the power brick being separate since it makes it easier to replace.

One other thing, try as many masks (nasal pillows, nasal mask, full face...any that you would consider) as they will let you until you find one you like at your titration study. But also try to remember what ones were close so that you can look at them again later in case the reality of your first choice isn't so great once you try it at home.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am

Kickthefog, if it were me, I'd ask for and only accept an APAP (autotitrating CPAP). It varies the pressure for each breath based on your previous breaths and raises pressure when it detects anything that indicate an apnea or hypopnea is likely to occur, thus acting premptorially to ward off the narrowing or collapse of your airways. A straight CPAP blows the same pressure, ie does not repond to those early indicators. With serious medical issues, I'd only want an APAP...they can be set to run in straight CPAP mode if pressures changes interrupt your sleep as it does for some. Buying an APAP online might be cheaper than your co-pay, so it's worth investigating; our host has best prices you can get and they will price match if you find the same machine for less elsewhere https://www.cpap.com. Of course, that's assuming you do not have complex apnea, a mix of centrals and obstructive apneas & hypopneas, that require a more complex machine.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Many thanks to all of you. Good info. Thanks so much.

I didn’t realize that the remstar plus wouldn’t do full data, so that’s out for me. thanks for clarifying 2ndGenCpapGal.

Yes Gail…. The doc thought I was nuts…. I literally put my arms in the air and acted like I scored a goal in hockey when they told me with a big verbal “YES!”. SO SO SO happy to have SOMETHING to point a finger at after all this time of being a mystery.

Several of you mentioned the auto version. Do you think I should insist on the Auto version over the regular version seeing as how it will do both auto and straight cpap. That is my thinking and is certainly Muse’s point as well? I just hate to wait for my machine if they don’t have an auto in stock. Seems like an eternity already knowing what I know now and waiting for relief, although I can get stuff overnight shipped from our friends that provide this forum I see so getting the right machine should be and is my priority.

Thanks again,
Pat

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 pm

A sleep study titration is not always the most accurate and is based only on one night in strange surroundings. Some tweaking is often necessary once you're in your own environment to get the right pressure and the lowest AHI and an auto can accomplish that. Of course in time you may find that a single pressure works better for you but you have both options open to you. Welcome and good luck. Dori

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

SleepyT

Post by SleepyT » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 pm

I cast my vote for ResMed...love my Elite II... Welcome aboard!

"Knowledge is power."

Cavallo

Post by Cavallo » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:31 pm

Kickthefog wrote:Several of you mentioned the auto version. Do you think I should insist on the Auto version over the regular version seeing as how it will do both auto and straight cpap.
My line of reasoning was that if the DME was going to bill my insurance provider the same regardless, and I have to pay 50% of the cost, I was damned well getting the most expensive machine available. Spiteful? Maybe. But I have more options than I would have if I'd taken what they gave me.

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Cool, thanks Sleepy T.

And I'm with ya Cavallo. i agree. darn isurance companies make enough money, they can spare a little extra to make sure i'm healthy! hehe.

Sounds like i'm insiting on an Auto! If they don't have an auto and i end up buying one from the folks here online, i may end up asking for more advice becuase then i will have much more to choose from.

thanks all!
Pat

Kickthefog

Post by Kickthefog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:49 pm

Thank you also DoriC. That is a GREAT point that i hadn't thought of. One night in a crazy place/crazy bed, hooked up to all sorts of wires and they are going to give me a number (pressure) that i will use going forward for who knows how long, based on that one night!? (which is actually only a few hours). Hehehe! It sounds almost rediculous and somewhat comical when saying it out loud!

thanks again!
Pat

PST

Post by PST » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:30 pm

Kickthefog wrote:Thank you also DoriC. That is a GREAT point that i hadn't thought of. One night in a crazy place/crazy bed, hooked up to all sorts of wires and they are going to give me a number (pressure) that i will use going forward for who knows how long, based on that one night!? (which is actually only a few hours). Hehehe! It sounds almost rediculous and somewhat comical when saying it out loud!
There is a lot to be said for both formal sleep studies and long-term self-monitoring. It is a wacky environment that doesn't reproduce home very well, but the equipment there can track a lot of variables we can't at home. The ultimate goal of treatment is to avoid oxygen desaturation and arousals from normal sleep, both of which can be measured directly and recorded all night in the lab. By monitoring respiratory effort, a lab study can tell central apneas from obstructive apneas. By monitoring brain waves and sleeping position, it can distinguish the pressure needed at all sleep stages and positions. Something that frustrates me at home when I graph my results is not being sure when I was even asleep. It's not unusual, for example, to stop breathing briefly after a big sigh, so if I see an apnea event from just before I turn off the machine, I don't know if it was something that occurred during sleep or if I was awake and just thinking about work already.

I don't want to oversell polysomnography as the only road to good therapy. I truly believe in getting a data-capable machine and monitoring the results, but if you are lucky enough to have a good doctor, a titration study is the best way to get started, in my humble opinion. Have fun!