Man that headgear strap hurts my neck

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rip Van Winkle

Man that headgear strap hurts my neck

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am

I loosened it a little and that immediately caused a leak. No doubt about it - I have that mask on TIGHT...it's leak-free but boy does that strap across the back of my neck dig in and kinda hurt. Should I be shopping for some kind of pad or does it sound like I have the mask and headgear positioned / adjusted wrong?

Joe50

Re: Man that headgear strap hurts my neck

Post by Joe50 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am

I Had/Have the same problem and I use round make up sponges strategically placed under the neck strap before I tighten it down. Not saying it is the best, but it is what worked for me by sort of breaking up the tension pressure. At least I think that is what happens
You should do a search and try all the different things that people have tried.

I always wanted to use the word strategically in a sentence. I probably spelled it wrong or maybe I strategically misspelled it. Bwahaaaaaaa

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 am

You may want to try the Ultra Mirage Full Face.

ozij

Post by ozij » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:53 am

I had a similar problem one night with the Ultra Mirage.
I solved it by returing to the instruction booklet, making changes in the order recommended, and changing the placement of the mask slightly . I'm new at full face masks -- and still learning.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:43 am

The most comfortable full face I've tried so far is the ZZZ. Compared to the UMFF and the Hybrid, it has the lowest large-leak rate and the most consistent leak line through the night. I do a lot of tossing around, so that's important. It may also help to use a pap-cap as your strapping system and drop the straps that came with your mask. The pap-cap really is more comfortable.

Catnap

Post by Catnap » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:03 pm

Might want to check out PadACheek's headgear padding, too. I've found it makes a significant difference, even when headgear is tight.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:13 pm

there is nothing to stop you from taking scissors to the head gear and sewing it back together so that it hits higher on the back of the neck!
One thing I like about the hybrid is that it has a strap across the top to adjust things with.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

uperrsc

Post by uperrsc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:20 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:there is nothing to stop you from taking scissors to the head gear and sewing it back together so that it hits higher on the back of the neck!
One thing I like about the hybrid is that it has a strap across the top to adjust things with.

except most guys if they cut the strap with the intension of sewing it back together in a better way would probably be most successful in the cutting step and not so successful in the sewing it back together step....... I'm just sayin'

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:22 pm

uperrsc wrote: except most guys if they cut the strap with the intension of sewing it back together in a better way would probably be most successful in the cutting step and not so successful in the sewing it back together step....... I'm just sayin'
Safety pins and duck tape?
Think of how punk that would look!

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm

I used my Cpap for about the same time frame as you and I had neck pain also. when my new mask full face and new head gear showed up in the mail. I did not have to tighen it near as much. and the pain was much less when I got up the next morning.
Good luck.

caryrae73

Post by caryrae73 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:42 pm

I had the problem too and found the padacheek neck pad that works awesome, still use it. Before I would get a red line on back of neck that would hurt and since using the padacheek neck pad it's gone and has never come back. The neck pad also has pads for your checks connected so you don't get those mask lines there too. http://www.padacheek.com/PAC-Neck.html

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:52 pm

I've noticed the discomfort is less when a headgear is still new and stretchy.
As the stretch goes away, the resulting "un-stretchiness" does cause more pain.
It's a pity that insurance, Medicare, etc., seem to have no realistic idea how long these things actually last.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:33 pm

Why not start a petition here, a poll, etc. and then send it to someone's local Medicare rep to pass it on to the head office?

Haroldfin58

Post by Haroldfin58 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 am

My headgear hurt my neck and was rubbing it raw at night, so i had a ideal, i went and bought a seat belt cover and put it around the back of my headgear, work perfect, so for $3 i solve my problem, no more hurting neck, got a good nights rest, hope this helps