Snored Last Night - First Time Since Using CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rip Van Winkle

Snored Last Night - First Time Since Using CPAP

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 am

I've been a hoser since January and last night my fiance woke me to tell me I was snoring really loud (while using CPAP). I was on my back which is unusual for me. Should I be concerned and report this to my sleep doctor?

base2balls

Re: Snored Last Night - First Time Since Using CPAP

Post by base2balls » Mon May 03, 2010 9:14 am

It might be a good idea to tell your Dr about the snoring, but it could be one of those it happened once thing. I don't know if it means any thing or not, but I would tell the Dr any way and ask if it means any thing or not. My Dr asked me if I snore while using my cpap and I told her I didn't know if I did or not as I don't hear it or feel it. Have a great day. Huggies, Fay

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Mon May 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I've been a hoser since January and last night my fiance woke me to tell me I was snoring really loud (while using CPAP). I was on my back which is unusual for me. Should I be concerned and report this to my sleep doctor?
I see you don't have a data-capable machine, so I guess you won't be able to check your stats.
You also didn't mention what your pressure was either....... (it could be a wee bit low or this was an unusual situation)
If it doesn't become a regular thing, I wouldn't worry about it.......as long as you feel good otherwise.
Snoring, by itself, is not necessarily an indicator of apnea events. Many people can have one without the other.
If it becomes a regular thing and you're not feeling all that refreshed from your nights' sleep, you might need a little extra pressure. Depending on how good of a relationship you have with your sleep doctor, I'll leave it up to you to make that decision as to whether you want to discuss it with him/her......unless you can use that information to twist your doctor's arm to prescribe you a fully-data-capable machine...... (hint, hint)

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Mon May 03, 2010 3:12 pm

I think people are more likely to snore on their backs. If it becomes a habit I would certainly mention it to my doc (say over a week). You're luckly your mate can hear you snore and can let you know if it continues.
Mary Z.

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Mon May 03, 2010 3:26 pm

I woke myself up snoring the other night, but when I checked my data the next morning it did not show any apnea events. I had some hyponeas, but that was it. Does make me wonder.

rosie

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Mon May 03, 2010 5:38 pm

You really can't assume anything from just one night, even non-cpappers sleep differently from night to night. If the snoring becomes a trend, you may need a pressure adjustment but it's hard to know without looking at data. My husband was a heavy snorer when sleeping on his back so he's trained himself to only sleep on his side.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Tue May 04, 2010 9:43 am

My sleep doctor tells me, "If we are doing our job right then you should not be snoring at all." (Meaning the pressure has to be high enough to basically eliminate snoring) BUT I take that with a grain of salt because this is the same doctor who dismissed the pulse-ox data I brought to him as "telling him nothing."

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!

pdean44

Post by pdean44 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Hmm for a one time thing i would want to see if you are having more of a trend than that before making any changes. Everyone is entitled to a bad night now and then. Could be the onset of a cold or sinus infection or who knows. If there is an abrupt change in your status that persists then something changed and you will have to get to the bottom of it.
For me lately the problem has been allergies.

"Things turn out the best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out"
-- JOHN WOODEN --

dwsupt

Post by dwsupt » Wed May 05, 2010 7:21 am

With mine in Apap mode, the pressure increases until I hit my max at 18 pounds. It's pretty hard to snore through that and I usually end up waking up beacause of mask leaks and then I roll over and restart the maching to lower the presssure. I still snore on the mask, it just is not very long.

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 am

dwsupt wrote:With mine in Apap mode, the pressure increases until I hit my max at 18 pounds. It's pretty hard to snore through that and I usually end up waking up beacause of mask leaks and then I roll over and restart the maching to lower the presssure. I still snore on the mask, it just is not very long.
What are your settings? Sounds like you may be having runaway pressure/leaks if your settings are too wide open. Have you tried Cpap mode at your titrated pressure or narrowing the auto range?

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Wed May 05, 2010 8:28 am

dwsupt wrote:With mine in Apap mode, the pressure increases until I hit my max at 18 pounds. It's pretty hard to snore through that and I usually end up waking up beacause of mask leaks and then I roll over and restart the maching to lower the presssure. I still snore on the mask, it just is not very long.
The measurement is in centimeters of H2O.......not pounds.
Sounds like your machine is not configured properly.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Rip Van Winkle

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 am

Wow thanks everybody

DoriC I'm set at 16 cm without any leaks as far as I can tell.
Wulfman my machine has some kind of removable data card but I haven't bought a reader yet....

I haven't snored since May 2 so this might have been an isolated incident plus there was alcohol consumption earlier in the evening and that used to trigger inhuman roof-rattling snoring in my past before CPAP. These days it seems all is well but it was nice to have a place to go to write about it and check. Thanks everyone.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Tue May 11, 2010 11:06 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Wow thanks everybody

DoriC I'm set at 16 cm without any leaks as far as I can tell.
Wulfman my machine has some kind of removable data card but I haven't bought a reader yet....

I haven't snored since May 2 so this might have been an isolated incident plus there was alcohol consumption earlier in the evening and that used to trigger inhuman roof-rattling snoring in my past before CPAP. These days it seems all is well but it was nice to have a place to go to write about it and check. Thanks everyone.
If your machine is the "Plus" model, all the software in the world won't show you any detailed data......the machine DOESN'T record it.......only hours used.

Isolated incidents (snoring, etc.) can usually be disregarded.

Den
User since 05/14/05

JimIllinois

Post by JimIllinois » Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

There is always a better chance you'll snore when on your back. Gravity does it's thing with the back of your tongue. Sleep clinics will make sure you spend some time on your back so they can record the worst case.

I sleep 95% of the time on my side, so I think it's crazy to set a high number (17 in my case), when I can spend most of the night at 11 or 12 in auto mode (range set at 10-18). On those rare cases where I am on my back, I'll snore a little, but the machine will ramp up within a minute or so.