Newbie wonders: Should I get a CPAP Pillow?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rip Van Winkle

Newbie wonders: Should I get a CPAP Pillow?

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:32 pm

I've been CPAPn' since January 30th and so far things are good. I no longer snore or wake up gasping for air. I'm a side sleeper and occassionally find it difficult to find a comfortable position that doesn't cause a mask vs. pillow leak. I've checked out the pillows for sale on CPAP.com and before I spend $60 on a seemingly small, odd-shaped pillow, can you folks tell me if it's worth it? -- is a CPAP pillow something you would consider essential? Do you use a traditional pillow under the CPAP pillow? Any info or opinions are VERY welcome.

Thanks

slibhart

Re: Newbie wonders: Should I get a CPAP Pillow?

Post by slibhart » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I've been CPAPn' since January 30th and so far things are good. I no longer snore or wake up gasping for air. I'm a side sleeper and occassionally find it difficult to find a comfortable position that doesn't cause a mask vs. pillow leak. I've checked out the pillows for sale on CPAP.com and before I spend $60 on a seemingly small, odd-shaped pillow, can you folks tell me if it's worth it? -- is a CPAP pillow something you would consider essential? Do you use a traditional pillow under the CPAP pillow? Any info or opinions are VERY welcome.

Thanks

I am wondering the same thing. Don't want to lay out some $$ unless folks here recommend the pillow. Sure would be nice to be able to roll over on my side and not have a leak develop though. I spend a lot of time bunching up the pillow "just right" to make things work now.

pb5927317

Post by pb5927317 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:50 pm

I am off today and contemplating purchasing one myself....

It seems like no one thing helps with leaks...but lots of little things all put together do.

Rip Van Winkle

Post by Rip Van Winkle » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:59 pm

slibhart wrote: I spend a lot of time bunching up the pillow "just right" to make things work now.
me too! Image

MoneyGal

Post by MoneyGal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:56 pm

I highly, highly, highly recommend the Regenesis buckwheat pillow for CPAPers. I have a "CPAP pillow" with odd-shaped cutouts BUT those cutouts did not work for me. I am able to create exactly the amount and type of support I want to stop leaks and remain comfortable using the Regenesis pillow.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:05 pm

Dear Friends,

Since I've been using a Comfort Gel Nasal Mask, I use a countour cpap pillow. It is made of memory foam and has generous cut-outs on the bottom 2 corners for the mask/tube. Here is the link: http://www.contourliving.com/c-38-cpap-supply.aspx. I highly recommend it for cpap nasal or full face mask users.

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

pb5927317

Post by pb5927317 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Jersey Girl wrote:Dear Friends,

Since I've been using a Comfort Gel Nasal Mask, I use a countour cpap pillow. It is made of memory foam and has generous cut-outs on the bottom 2 corners for the mask/tube. Here is the link: http://www.contourliving.com/c-38-cpap-supply.aspx. I highly recommend it for cpap nasal or full face mask users.

Jersey Girl
I just purchased this one today!

steelheadid

Post by steelheadid » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

I have found that the pillow choice is different for everyone and also depends on the type of mask you use. I use a full face mask and after much experimentation purchased a contour living cutout pillow which has been good for me. However there are nights that I switch to my old softer hypoallergenic foam pillow and am just as comfortable if not more but I do get more mask leaks with it. I would suggest trying different types of pillows you have at home with your mask even for just the afternoon until you find the right one. If you cannot then look around at the different types many of which you can find at Target and Walmart.

qjosea

Post by qjosea » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi, I just bought a cpap pillow from cpapsupplyusa.com SKU 14-101R-1-730, it works great. I am also a side sleeper and my leak went from five and six to .05. I don't know if it will work for everyone, I took a chance you can always return it if it doesn't work for you. I use a regular pillow to watch TV and change to the contour to sleep. This pillow allows you to twist and turn any way you want without a leak. No stomach sleeping though. I am not a spammer or in any way associated with any web site, just a fellow hoser helping with info. This site is great just post and you shall receive. lol

Hawk256

Post by Hawk256 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Out of curiosity, do these pillows come with a special pillow case? I just can't see a regular pillow case working with a specialty pillow.

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Dear Hawk256,

Yes, my countour living cpap pillow did come with a specially fit pillow case. You can also order extras from http://www.contourliving.com.

Regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:39 pm

I have gotten the contour pillow. Do I use it nope. I found out that my good ole pillows work very well if not better than the contour pillow. I guess I won't waste the money on getting the pillow case if I don't use the pillow!
stop the bull the cow is dead!

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Hi all--I don't think anyone needs a special pillow but everyone is different!! I use a good Goose down filled pillow from Costco. I use the QUEEN Size even though I have a king sized bed. The queen down filled fits and folds easily under your mask if you are a side sleeper. You can fluff it up or punch it into shape where you need it. Been using one for a few years now and my leak rate is 0.00 every night. I think they are $39.00 at Costco and you can use a good old regular pillow case that matches your sheet sets. So for heavens sake --try a good quality pillow before you go ordering one online that is marketed as a "special" CPAP pillow. it is really not necessary.

Carrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:47 pm

MoneyGal wrote:I highly, highly, highly recommend the Regenesis buckwheat pillow for CPAPers. I have a "CPAP pillow" with odd-shaped cutouts BUT those cutouts did not work for me. I am able to create exactly the amount and type of support I want to stop leaks and remain comfortable using the Regenesis pillow.
I will second the recommendation of the Regenesis buckwheat pillow. I can shape it any way I want and as an added benefit it got rid of my lingering neck pain issues that crop up from an couple of old motor vehicle accidents and 0.00 leaks !!

drlaurao

Post by drlaurao » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 am

I considered the purchase of a cpap pillow. I can't sleep on memory foam because it's too hard for my head (gives me a headache) so the main one on the market wouldn't work. cpapxchange has a softer version with cut outs on the sides. I decided to modify a pillow I already had at home. It has helped a lot. If you or someone near you has some very basic sewing skills, you can make your own version and save big $ in the process. BTW, under my down alternative CPAP I do use a plain memory foam pillow so I have enough support for my neck and head.