Dislike?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
deaconbill1

Dislike?

Post by deaconbill1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:32 pm

Are there any users here who are not happy with or are disappointed with being prescribed to use a CPAP machine?

Jersey Girl

Re: Dislike?

Post by Jersey Girl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I don't think that I ever said to myself, "wouldn't it be fun to sleep with a mask on my face every night"? However, I was so fatigued that when I found out that there was a solution, I was happy to know that I could do something about it. It's the results that feel good. Yesterday I really saw those results - my husband took a mid day nap, but I didn't need one!

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

montana

Post by montana » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 pm

Me...I was grateful to learn why I could not sleep on my back. Grateful to learn why elevating bed, using those goofy nose strips , being embarrassed to sleep on a plane or someone elses house,and thinking I had "allergies". .. Ect ect. Everyone can relate.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:15 pm

deaconbill1 wrote:Are there any users here who are not happy with or are disappointed with being prescribed to use a CPAP machine?
viewtopic/t49471/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43582&p=386725&

No regrets.....thankful for this blessing.
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

bearded_two

Post by bearded_two » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I was very happy to have had my problem diagnosed and to be able treat it. I was unhappy finding out that I had to use such a piece of equipment for the rest of my life; it was like a sense of loss of my independence. I felt several phases of adjustment, including denial, anger, acceptance, and adaptation.

plr66

Post by plr66 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:47 pm

bearded_two wrote:I was very happy to have had my problem diagnosed and to be able treat it. I was unhappy finding out that I had to use such a piece of equipment for the rest of my life; it was like a sense of loss of my independence. I felt several phases of adjustment, including denial, anger, acceptance, and adaptation.
Bill, your feelings are legitimate. All of us come to this thing from different places and with different reactions. I felt so horrible and so literally believed that I was dying, that I never experienced denial or anger as bearded mentioned. I actually could not wait to put on that mask and feel the rush of air into my nose, as if it really was bringing my life back. And it has.

So no matter what disappointment or anger or negativity you naturally feel now, it will be important for you to work on your attitude and get your thoughts into a constructive direction (the adaptation and acceptance mode). You will find tons of suggestions here about how to incorporate this device into your lifestyle so that you don't have to feel like this is the end of anything, but truly an enhancement to your life. And by the way, I am well aware of how Pollyanna this probably sounds to you right now. But attitude is everything, and if you can start some positive self-talk about this rather than dwelling on the negatives, you will succeed!

I have said this many times, I guess, but I approached the whole thing with curiosity and as a nightly experiment. Couldn't wait to get to bed to try different equipment, different pillows, different settings, etc. That approach made the trials of it all relatively painless. And I just don't give a thought to it anymore. I did not let it interfere with my love for travel; and I'm sure you see here that many folks frequently ask about how to make it work even while camping. Just to say, if you look at it from the point of view of acceptance rather than dread or resentment, you'll be far and away ahead of the game. And able to enjoy some peace with it due to your newfound energy & health.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:49 pm

deaconbill1 wrote:... Are there any users here who are not happy with or are disappointed with being prescribed to use a CPAP machine? ...
Heck yes! I would LOVE to not need my machine. I would love to be able to just pack a bag and go ... and not worry about if I have a ASV unit packed with everything I need.

But then I would love to be able to see without my glasses. I've worn them almost every day of my life since I was 5. I got used to glasses. I *STILL* find them frustrating. (Especially when I put them down, don't remember where, and then spend an hour trying to find them because I can't see them! )

But life is what it is. In this case the benefit of wearing glasses is greater than not wearing them. So I put up with them. Ditto with the ASV unit.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:56 pm

When I knew I needed a cpap I said to myself, I don't want to be maried to a machine for the rest of my life! I don't want a cpap

The months started passing by and my mental capacities deteriorating at the point I was not functionnal, then I started telling BRING ME THAT MACHINE FAST PLEASE, PLEASE!

I'm VERY happy I have a cpap, I know there is people suffering of all the consequences of sleep apnea who can't afford a cpap or don't even know why they feel so tired, empty brained, or are distroying their health. I don't regret my treatment a split second. Yes I would prefer to sleep no mask as a normal person but the reality is I can't, I accepted it and now I see a big difference in my life, and The Best Is Yet To Come

rosacer

Judy R

Post by Judy R » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:31 am

I don't think that there's many of us, who like to be tethered to this machine. However, and I can only speak for myself, I was glad to find out why I was so tired all of the time. Infact, having the sleep study done, and getting this machine truly saved my life. I was told by my Dr. that if we hadn't have done the study when we did, I might have only a few days, before I would go to bed one night, and never wake up again. If that doesn't shock you into reality, I don't know what would. No, I'm not thrilled about having to be on this machine, but as far as I am concerned it's my life line, and I want to be around for a very long time.

terrydk

Post by terrydk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 am

Like...not really, dislike...sometimes, need...absolutely. My wife described my many episodes of no breathing or gasping for air but other than being tired all the time and getting up several times a night to use the bathroom I didn't really notice. Then I started waking up more and more often with headaches and a very dry mouth. So off to the local sleep center we went for a sleep study. It wasn't fun by any means but I was diagnosed with sever obstructive apnea with 126 apneas an hour. Now two months later I think I have adjusted pretty quickly in comparison to many that post here. I can now sleep the entire night without getting up, no more headaches or tossing and turning. The hardest part for me was finally going to sleep after getting the mask on...it can be a big hurdle to overcome but with persistence it can happen. At first its hard to keep the mask on all night but if you just try and keep it on a little longer each night it will finally get to the point that you leave it on all night, I am now getting almost 7 hrs a night and even 8 on some occasions.

If the statistics are anywhere near accurate ...it's an alarming number, there are a lot of people that are missing out on some therapy that would help them sleep better and feel better.

thewetlizard

Post by thewetlizard » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:50 am

I highly dislike my cpap. It took me 4 months to really start wear it. I don't like something on my face and I don't like being restricted by a hose either. The only really thing I acknowledged was my very loud snoring and waking up to a very dry mouth. I didn't have that "fog" or day time sleepyness.
stop the bull the cow is dead!

Craig P

Post by Craig P » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Not in any way shape or form. I would probably not be alive today if I had not started on my cpap therapy 10 years ago. I am now 57, the same age as my father when he died. In looking back I know he had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he suffered greatly for it. I WILL NOT go through that. Using a cpap is easy compared to that.

In looking back I know my father had undiagnosed sleep apnea and he suffered greatly for it. I WILL NOT go through that. Using a cpap is easy compared to that.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 pm

deaconbill1 wrote:Are there any users here who are not happy with or are disappointed with being prescribed to use a CPAP machine?
I imagine all the members do not like having sleep-disordered breathing.

As far as CPAP, would anyone have preferred the doctor to say, "There is no treatment. Go home, suffer, and die prematurely."?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Papillon2

Post by Papillon2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Count me among those who were thrilled to death to find out what the problem was, and that it was treatable. I had been SO lethargic and sleepy, and felt like I was drugged a lot of the time. The brain fog was frightening. I had recently had a full blood panel done, and my internist told me that I "had the best blood results she'd seen in years". I couldn't reconcile that result with feeling awful all the time. So, when she prescribed a sleep test, I was actually hoping that I had apnea, because I needed to find a diagnosis. Afterwards, I found my mask easily and saw an almost immediate improvement, and now I look forward to bedtime, because I know it's therapeutic. Hopefully, you'll adjust soon and count yourself lucky that you were diagnosed before you had any catastrophic consequences.