Quattro FX - I'm Done!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DadscreepyCPAPmask

Quattro FX - I'm Done!

Post by DadscreepyCPAPmask » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 am

I have tried just about everything in hopes to keep this damn thing from leaking from the nose bridge area in the middle of the night. Nothing has worked at all! Different size masks, headgear and even a resmed gel nose pad. I have even tried various positions on the bridge of the nose. Why is this mask so leaky!

Slinky

Re: Quattro FX - I'm Done!

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 am

FIRST OFF - did you bother to watch the CD that came w/your Quattro FX regarding fitting and proper way to put it on?? It does require a somewhat different technique than previous masks I've used.

I never could get the original Quattro, the Mirage Quattro, to fit me properly and keep the thin outer cover from slicing into the bridge of my nose. This Quattro FX, tho, has been a great mask for me. Of course, we are all different and a great mask for me can be a disaster for you - but - really, you need to watch that CD to learn how to fit the Quattro FX properly before giving up on it entirely. If you don't you may be missing out on a good mask for you.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:06 am

DadscreepyCPAPmask wrote:I have tried just about everything in hopes to keep this damn thing from leaking from the nose bridge area in the middle of the night. Nothing has worked at all! Different size masks, headgear and even a resmed gel nose pad. I have even tried various positions on the bridge of the nose. Why is this mask so leaky!
How about your bed pillow? If you're using a "standard" bed pillow, you may want to investigate some of the ones that are either designed for or work better with this therapy.

Personally, I wouldn't use a full face mask that didn't have a forehead support (even though the one on my UMFF is adjusted as far away from my forehead as I can get it), but the way it holds the top straps in relationship to my head is a benefit.

Den

purple

Post by purple » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:38 am

Have you tried to build up the area with mole skin?

DadscreepyCPAPmask

Post by DadscreepyCPAPmask » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:50 am

Yes I watched the video on fitting numberous times. I am using a standard down pillow which has worked just fine with my nasal mask. I have not tried any mole skin. I really like the FX and want this to work. Everything is just fine for about the first 90 minutes of sleep or so, then the leaks begin. I am guessing its around the beginning of REM sleep.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:59 am

Bummer. I doubt that Dr Scholl's moleskin will help w/the Quattro FX fit at the bridge of the nose. You "might" like the ProBasics Zzz-Mask full face mask since you like the Quattro FX other than the leaking at the eyes problem. Even if you had problems w/the Zzz-Mask at the bridge of the nose moleskin most likely would help w/that mask.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

bayourest

Post by bayourest » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 pm

I really like this mask. I snug up the bottom straps and allow the top straps to be a little less snug. I use a pad a cheek liner and the leaks seem fairly low. I dont mind some strap marks in the morning.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Mine Q FX blasts apart at the upper nose portion in the middle of the night. Really really annoying! I have taped that upper section together and that helps. For sore nose, Resmed has come out with a new Gecko nasal gel pad. I am going to try that tonight to see if it prevents the mask from slipping down which I think is problematic for that mask.

Interesting story on the Gecko pad invention by a Grateful Dead band member here: http://www.schiller.com.au/the-dead-dev ... -patients/

Have you tried Remzzz's - I am awaiting delivery of some. I just switched to new machine with higher pressures and sleep lab says they really cut down on leaks.

Good luck on your quest!!

EDIT to add http://www.furthur.net/forum/general-di ... cal-device

I just think the story is quite interesting.

Last edited by Bright Choice on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks, BrightChoice, for the article on the Gecko pad.

The last paragraph was confusing.
... The newly named Gecko Nasal Pads will go a long way in assisting medical professionals who monitor patients’ sleep apnoea. Devices such as the Medilog Darwin Holter Analysis System were designed to help patients avoid health implications such as stroke, high blood pressure or heart attack and broadens the detection of cardiac disease.
Go ahead, corn-fuse me! Like what the devil does the Medilog Darwin Holter Analysis System have to do w/sleep apnea, the Gecko nose pad - or the price of tea in China????

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:06 pm

Slinky wrote:Thanks, BrightChoice, for the article on the Gecko pad.

The last paragraph was confusing.
... The newly named Gecko Nasal Pads will go a long way in assisting medical professionals who monitor patients’ sleep apnoea. Devices such as the Medilog Darwin Holter Analysis System were designed to help patients avoid health implications such as stroke, high blood pressure or heart attack and broadens the detection of cardiac disease.
Like what the devil does the Medilog Darwin Holter Analysis System have to do w/sleep apnea, the Gecko nose pad - or the price of tea in China????
I would be clueless about that.

All I know is that Resmed bought the rights to the pad and they are marketing it. I am going to try mine tonight, not because of sore nose but to see if I can stablize the Q FX and get the leaks down.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:40 pm

DadscreepyCPAPmask wrote: I really like the FX and want this to work. Everything is just fine for about the first 90 minutes of sleep or so, then the leaks begin. I am guessing its around the beginning of REM sleep.
You are not alone. mmkof5 having same problem. Leak city at about same time frame. She has recently maybe come up with lab rat aid to minimize the leak. Sounds like same area also. She uses 16 cm pressure. I will point her to your post.
It's not perfect but better than large leaks for over half the night or no sleep from leaks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Knightmare

Post by Knightmare » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. Figured since I've gotten so much info lurking here that I should contribute where I can by posting my experiences with the Quattro FX. I switched over from the Mirage Quattro about a 6 weeks ago. Initially I struggled quite a bit with leaks along the nose bridge as well. I spent many nights struggling with this and even gave up on a few nights going back to the old Quattro. However, after reading through some other peoples comments on using the Quattro FX and through some trial and error, I seemed to have tamed this mask and could not be happier.

Here are some things that helped me tame this beast:
-Don't over tighten the upper straps: I found that making these straps tighter often cause more nose bridge leaks. Unfortunately too loose and it tends to leak as well. The key seems to be only tightening the top straps to the point where the bridge will not leak when you turn on your side. To stabilize the mask I tend to tighten more on the lower straps.

-Put mask on during a cooldown flow (S9): I've found trying to put the mask on with the full pressure (13cmH20 for me) can be a bit challenging. However I noticed with the S9, it still pumps a small amount of air after you turn the machine off while its cooling down. I've found that putting the mask on during this time and then turning the S9 back on after I have the mask secure seems to provide a very good fit. The small amount of air flowing seems to start inflating the cushions. I go from cooldown flow to full pressure so I don't use a ramp. However, I suppose you can mimic this behavior on other machines with a very fast ramp time.

-When laying down, if I get a leak I've found that by rocking the mask back and forth toward my nose and then back down toward the chin, I can often the get the mask to rest in a position that is comfortable that does not leak.

-Make sure you wash your face before you put on your mask: Oils on the face really seem to mess with the cushion and how it fits.

-Remove the spring Frame when cleaning: I hate to lose the position of my mask when everything is working right. But I still like to wash my mask daily. What I do for daily washings is I remove the spring frame with all of the straps attached. Weekly I'll wash the spring frame, but I will wash the spring frame in one piece keeping it together with the straps and cushions.

-When removing the cushion, do not pull from the top tab. The cushion is rather fragile around the nose bridge area. I''ve already ripped on cushion by pulling on the tab they provide. What I've found is the bottom of the cushion is very thick and much easier/safer to pull from.

Hope these tips help!
Last edited by Knightmare on Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bright Choice

Post by Bright Choice » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Knightmare wrote: -Put mask during a cooldown flow (S9): I've found trying to put the mask on with the full pressure (13cmH20 for me) can be a bit challenging. However I noticed with the S9, it still pumps a small amount of air after you turn the machine off while its cooling down. I've found that putting the mask on during this time and then turning the S9 back on after I have the mask secure seems to provide a very good fit. The small amount of air flowing seems to start inflating the cushions. I go from cooldown flow to full pressure so I don't use a ramp. However, I suppose you can mimic this behavior on other machines with a very fast ramp time.

What I do for daily washings is I remove the spring frame with all of the straps attached. Weekly I'll wash the spring frame, but I will wash the spring frame in one piece keeping it together with the straps and cushions.
Knightmare - you just may be my knight in shining armor - where have you been all this time? All of your suggestions are great. Very creative in using the cooldown flow - I can't wait to try it. And, I couldn't figure out how to conveniently clean the darn thing.

Stick around!!

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:46 pm

Why fight pressure at all? Put the mask on with the machine off, then turn the machine on. If you have problems with this, put the mask on without the hose attached, then attach the hose to the mask.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

montana

Post by montana » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:51 pm

One mask ( that I use ) Is the Full Life. It is very much like the Quattro FX. I never get leaks around nose area. The one with fit pack comes with 3 sizes of cushions. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -pack.html