Why has Resmed made the S9 machines like this?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ResMedUser

Why has Resmed made the S9 machines like this?

Post by ResMedUser » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:56 pm

OK, I am a long time Resmed APAP user. Three and a half years being totally compliant with the Resmed S8 Autoset APAP. It was a very good machine. Then the blower broke in mid December 2010. I was given a Resmed S8 Vantage Autoset II APAP as a loaner for about a month, which was not a good machine as my original S8 APAP. Many of my old symptoms came back in the past month despite using the Resmed S8 Autoset II APAP, at the same settings as my original.

Then yesterday I finally get a regular machine, an S9 Autoset APAP. I used it last night for the first time. Seems OK first night on it, but one thing I do not care for is it does not provide me the full AHI info the older S8 APAPs and CPAPs gave me. The S8s would break down my AHI, give me my leak rate. The S9 does not do that. For leak rate all it does is give me a "smiley face" or a "bad face" which I think is really patronizing and silly. Id rather just be able to see my leak rate for the night, along with the broken down AHI.

I told my DME guy yesterday I did not even want the S9 if it did not give me the full info daily. So he gave me a copy of Resmed's Rescan Version 3.11, still in the wrap unopened. He told me he was not supposed to do that, but because he knows I want to know whats going on, he did it anyway. I put the copy on my PC and downloaded my first nights info today from the Resmed SD card...WHAT A HASSLE!!!!

With my old S8 APAP, I just held a few buttons down for a few seconds and it gave me my leak rate and AHI, broken down. What is going on with Resmed? Have they flipped their lid or something trying to keep basic info from OSA patients? I dont like the direction Resmed is going in. My next machine maybe something else not a Resmed.

I do not work for any sleep apnea company btw, just a patient/consumer who is used to getting my morning intel dump on my basic nightly sleep info.

Mikey

robysue

Re: Why has Resmed made the S9 machines like this?

Post by robysue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 am

ResMedUser wrote: Then yesterday I finally get a regular machine, an S9 Autoset APAP. I used it last night for the first time. Seems OK first night on it, but one thing I do not care for is it does not provide me the full AHI info the older S8 APAPs and CPAPs gave me. The S8s would break down my AHI, give me my leak rate. The S9 does not do that. For leak rate all it does is give me a "smiley face" or a "bad face" which I think is really patronizing and silly. Id rather just be able to see my leak rate for the night, along with the broken down AHI.
You need to get to the full Sleep Report menu on the S9 AutoSet instead of the short version.

When you are in the short version with Mr. Irritating Green Smiley Face, hold down the info button and the double check mark button for about 3 to 5 seconds. The screen will flicker. Then turn the big knob down one icon on the left and you should be in the Full Sleep Report. In the full sleep report you will have all the data you want:
  • Daily Usage data
    Daily AHI data
    Daily AI data
    Daily CAI data
    Daily 95% leak rate data in numerical form
    Daily 95% pressure level
are all there on the full sleep report on the LCD. You will have to scroll down to see everything. To do that click the round knob once to get into the menu and then start turning it. [I think---I'm working from memory here; I haven't used the S9 Autoset since Dec. 21 when I got my BiPAP.]

You can also change the time frame for the data if you want and quickly look at 7, 30, 3-month, and 6-month averages as well.

And by the way, getting into the full sleep report is FULLY DOCUMENTED in you S9's USER MANUAL. Did you read it?

ResmedUser

Post by ResmedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:29 am

Thank you. No I have not set down and read the whole manual yet. I just got the S9 Friday and was so wasted tired. I just did what you told me to do and sure enough, the full info shows up. My DME RT, who is the manager there of all people, told me this machine does not give full detailed info like the older S8 APAPs and when I expressed to him I did not want it then, he gave me a free copy of Rescan 3.11, new in the wrapper. Sounds like this RT/DME guy knows jack.

I will read the manual. I used to keep up with all this CPAP stuff but I was a lot better until recently when my original machine broke, then I backslid over the past month or so. And I have been kind of real tired and irritable and not feeling well.

Thanks for the info.

Mikey

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:41 am

ResmedUser wrote:Thank you.
You're welcome! I'm glad the instructions were clear.

By the way, the overnight data on the LCD resets to 0's at noon each day. That's noon according to the clock in the S9; to reset the clock you need to be in the clinician's menu.
My DME RT, who is the manager there of all people, told me this machine does not give full detailed info like the older S8 APAPs and when I expressed to him I did not want it then, he gave me a free copy of Rescan 3.11, new in the wrapper. Sounds like this RT/DME guy knows jack.
You have one strange DME there. Doesn't know about the full sleep report or how to access it, but is willing to GIVE you ResScan 3.11. Do you know how rare it is for a DME (at least here in the US) to even admit that a patient is capable of using ResScan? They all seem to act like ResScan has to be kept secret from us patients ----- reminds me of the wizard in the Wizard of Oz telling Dorothy and co. to "ingore the little man behind the curtain" ...
I will read the manual.
I'm a big fan of slogging through manuals. It amazing what you will find in them. Of course, it's also amazing what you won't find in them.

I hope you, your new S9, and that nice, free copy of ResScan all have a long and productive future keeping you healthy,

By the way: ResMed changed the algorithms for when hypopneas get scored between the S8 generation and the S9 generation. So S9s typically simply score way fewer hypopneas---at least according to the anecdotal evidence from posters here on cpaptalk.com.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:04 am

Arrrghh!!! Now you have me in a panic! I, with great trepidation, sent my VPAP Auto in for some adjustment. These S8s were/are Resmed's crown jewel. I'll be a basket case if they replace it w/the VPAP Auto 25 as I've read there were more changes than just the xtra 5 cms of pressure. *sigh* Its been two weeks already ... I'm chewing my nails!! I want my "baby" back, intact!!!!

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ResMedUser

Post by ResMedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:34 am

Slinky wrote:Arrrghh!!! Now you have me in a panic! I, with great trepidation, sent my VPAP Auto in for some adjustment. These S8s were/are Resmed's crown jewel. I'll be a basket case if they replace it w/the VPAP Auto 25 as I've read there were more changes than just the xtra 5 cms of pressure. *sigh* Its been two weeks already ... I'm chewing my nails!! I want my "baby" back, intact!!!!
Like I said, I was doing well on Resmed's S8 Autoset APAP until about a month or so ago. Then it broke and I start getting newer Resmed machines and they dont seem to be the same quality of my original Resmed machine. Maybe its because I am not feeling well right now and its me, but it seems like Resmed is getting awfully, um, not the same as they used to be...as in good quality. I think I will be looking for an American made product in the future, if there is one. I used to like Resmed, but with what Ive been thru in the past month with the S8 II APAP, not so much anymore. Seems like their algorithm has gotten sluggish compared to their older S8 APAPs.

Mikey

ResMedUser

Post by ResMedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:43 am

robysue wrote:
ResmedUser wrote:Thank you.
My DME RT, who is the manager there of all people, told me this machine does not give full detailed info like the older S8 APAPs and when I expressed to him I did not want it then, he gave me a free copy of Rescan 3.11, new in the wrapper. Sounds like this RT/DME guy knows jack.
You have one strange DME there. Doesn't know about the full sleep report or how to access it, but is willing to GIVE you ResScan 3.11. Do you know how rare it is for a DME (at least here in the US) to even admit that a patient is capable of using ResScan? They all seem to act like ResScan has to be kept secret from us patients ----- reminds me of the wizard in the Wizard of Oz telling Dorothy and co. to "ingore the little man behind the curtain" ...
Yeah, this particular DME is the worst DME Ive ever used (brick and mortar DMEs). Ive used three. The first was awesome, Id still use them if they took my current insurance. I have already submitted a written complaint against the state respiratory board with this particular DME and I am going to be talking to my sleep doctor about getting a new and better DME soon. Although I am very tempted to just start buying all my gear out of pocket thru the Internet and bypass DMEs mostly.

Yeah, I told the guy, "if the S9 wont give me data like my S8 APAPs, I dont want it." He immediately replied, "well here I will give you a copy of this software, I am not sure whether or not you are supposed to even have it, if you tell anyone I gave it to you I will deny it and tell people you stole it from me." I dont know whether he was half joking or serious...lucky I had a family member there as a witness to it all. He told me the S9 does not give you the data, then I come here and find out it will give you the data. My own sleep doctor told me he had had problems with this DME and his nurse shook her head readily. I feel like I am in lala land right now...this is all ridiculous.

So now Ive got a copy of Rescan version 3.11, for free, that was in the plastic wrapper unopened. That Im technically not supposed to have. I know how to use it, already figured it out, but man I definitely do need to change DMEs for sure after reading some stuff here.

Mikey

montana

Post by montana » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 am

You have a state state respiratory board ? Just curious ..never heard of that before.

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:13 am

I don't know ..... you did get the ResScan software for free ..... doesn't sound like its been a total loss doing business w/this guy.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

ResMedUser

Post by ResMedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:07 pm

montana wrote:You have a state state respiratory board ? Just curious ..never heard of that before.
State Respiratory Care Board. I was sleepy when I typed that.

Mikey

ResmedUser

Post by ResmedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:11 pm

Slinky wrote:I don't know ..... you did get the ResScan software for free ..... doesn't sound like its been a total loss doing business w/this guy.

Well, I found out today I really dont need it...that I can access the info thru the machine. Plus there is a whole bunch of other stuff this DME has done in the past year that has caused me trouble. Giving me subpar equipment like 7 foot hoses instead of two meter or six foot hoses. All kinds of stuff I am not going to list here. It was almost as if he panicked when I said that and he said "here I will give you this software so you can read your daily info."

Id rather have proper equipment that this DME has not been given me, than the software.

Mikey

ResMedUser

Post by ResMedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:20 pm

It is just really weird and strange that when my original Resmed APAP broke in December and I start using other APAPs of the same brand and type with the same settings exactly, just a later version model...my sleep and mood and blood pressure all fall apart within days.

Resmed S8 Autoset Vantage APAP...used for three and a half years. I recovered really fast and was doing well on it. Was holding down a job, things were going great. Then it breaks.

It gets replaced with a Resmed S8 II Autoset APAP (later model of the one I had been using), same exact settings, same exact mask. Total deterioration within days. It was literally like using a different setting or something.

Then I get this S9 Autoset APAP and find out the info is a PITA to access. Same settings as a month ago where I was doing great on. This is my second night on it and it too, feels nothing like my original Resmed S8 APAP. What is going on with Resmed? They put it on their website how great it is, "oh the S9 detects centrals" and then you find its a PITA to even access the AHI screen to read your detailed AHI info...unlike the old S8 machines where you just held down two buttons for a few seconds.

Resmed seems to be taking something that was good and making it more complicated and screwing it all up. I am turned off bigtime by this company now. Sounds like this is the only company that wont sell patients their software too, I lucked up on getting the software for mine.

Mikey

ResmedUser

Post by ResmedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Slinky wrote: These S8s were/are Resmed's crown jewel.
I am not so sure that is the case anymore. I think my next APAP will be something besides Resmed. And no I do not work for an opposing company. I have just had a really bad experience in the past month with these "new" Resmed APAPs and am like "WTF?" I am like you, these machines are supposed to be premium. They seem like junk to me now, unlike my original Resmed APAP.

Mikey

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:33 pm

That is too funny. I just got my Resmed9 Autoset in December---last month. The two gals that came to the house to deliver it for me and set it up told me that very same thing. "OH you want the detailed daily numbers? oh well--this machine does not have the capability to show you that--you'd need your Dr. to get you a special script for that one"--APRIA.

WHen I said---I am pretty sure that I read on the Internet that this machine will indeed give me my daily detailed reports right on the screen--both of them looked like deer in the headlights--LOL! They both said "Well if you find out how to do this --please let us both know". Oh for Pete's sake ----these people supposedly took classes on how to set up the RS9??? --now they tell me that they have no idea how to access this patient info?
Thank goodness for this forum---or i would have had no choice but to believe them--LOL!

CArrie

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

ResMedUser

Post by ResMedUser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:53 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:That is too funny. I just got my Resmed9 Autoset in December---last month. The two gals that came to the house to deliver it for me and set it up told me that very same thing. "OH you want the detailed daily numbers? oh well--this machine does not have the capability to show you that--you'd need your Dr. to get you a special script for that one"--APRIA.

WHen I said---I am pretty sure that I read on the Internet that this machine will indeed give me my daily detailed reports right on the screen--both of them looked like deer in the headlights--LOL! They both said "Well if you find out how to do this --please let us both know". Oh for Pete's sake ----these people supposedly took classes on how to set up the RS9??? --now they tell me that they have no idea how to access this patient info?
Thank goodness for this forum---or i would have had no choice but to believe them--LOL!

CArrie

Yeah, I have had it with brick and mortar DMEs. I have had only one that was any good and that was my first DME. The thing is, when you are a newb to CPAP, you really need a GOOD DME with GOOD RTs to get you thru the first couple months. Oftentimes you will need a mask switch or two...or even three. Maybe a machine change or settings change. And that is best done with a sleep medicine OSA oriented RT IRL.

I think once you learn the ropes though, it is best to just bypass insurance and local DMEs and keep things between you and your sleep doctor. Pay out of pocket for machines. Let the insurance pay for the second or third sleep studies. The insurance companies do not want to pay for new gear and DMEs dont want to give it to you if they can help it in my experiences. Im like, "just let me buy my own gear out of pocket and the hell with insurance and the hell with brick and mortar DMEs."

But like I said, that approach works well for experienced OSA patients, but not for newbs.

Mikey