Fluid buildup on one side of face

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Irene P.

Fluid buildup on one side of face

Post by Irene P. » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:29 am

This problem is getting gradually worse. I sleep on my left side, and in the morning I have fluid buildup in my left eyelid and an area about 1/2 inch under my lower eyelid (not directly under eye). It's no longer going away, and it's making my face look lopsided. (Yes, it is vanity!) Does anyone know of any treatments for this? I don't think my mask is too tight, just tight enough so it floats a bit and keeps a seal.

JohnBFisher

Re: Fluid buildup on one side of face

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:21 pm

Irene P. wrote:... I sleep on my left side, and in the morning I have fluid buildup in my left eyelid and an area about 1/2 inch under my lower eyelid (not directly under eye). It's no longer going away, and it's making my face look lopsided. (Yes, it is vanity!) Does anyone know of any treatments for this? ...
I do not think it's vanity. Fluid buildup (edema) like this is not normal and should not happen. There are numerous things that might contribute to this:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/edema/ ... ION=causes

So, as with any unusual symptom, I recommend you discuss this with your doctor. It might be nothing. However, it certainly does not hurt to check.

As to what you might be able to do. First, I would (if you can) try to sleep on my back or right side for a while during the night. This might help. Second, you can try to rub the area on the face with a warm towel (dampen it a little and warm it in a microwave). Not hot. You don't want to burn the skin. Instead you are attempting to warm the skin to allow more blood flow. This might allow the fluid to drain away.

Just a couple thoughts. But whatever you do, you should discuss it with your doctor. It might be nothing, but I would rather your doctor was looking after it.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

kctole

Post by kctole » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:06 pm

I also have this problem. A little sac of fluid forms under my left eye. I sleep mostly on my left side. Did you solve the problem?

sister

Post by sister » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 pm

hi, I also have this problem and it is very disturbing to me. I have it under both eyes,like a little sac of fluid. Like you say though, not directly under the eye,a little further down.
In fact,I gave up wearing the swift fx[ which I really loved] because the strap went directly across the swollen area on my face and even though it was padded it irritated my face.
I never had this problem before c-pap.
If anyone knows what I can do, please post an answer for me.
I don't wear any mask now that touches my face,I wear the comfortlite 2 and the fitlife {large],which barely touches the outside of my face.
Thanks so much!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:54 pm

As mentioned early on in the thread--please see your doctor--it may not be serious,
but could require attention and may be a sign of another problem that does.
No need to suffer.
Happy New Year.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:32 pm

If I squish my face in to my pillow, I get edema around the eye on the pillow side...annoying as I'm doing it in my sleep. In my case, the fluid is absorbed in a few hours. One time, my eye was nearly swollen shut , I drank a lot of water to speed up the absorption that day.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.