nose sores - ugly subject

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cowanbj@aol.com

nose sores - ugly subject

Post by cowanbj@aol.com » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm

OK - I have searched, but not really found anything specific for this problem. I am guessing what I am experiencing are pressure sores from my nasal pillows. My pressure from my Everest2 is a 13 and I have tried 4 different mask in the last year. The last few months I have experienced small sores on the inside of my nostrils (one on each inside) and of course if I use my CPAP they get worse and do not heal. I have the added challenge of being a mouth breather and swallowing air which makes for a very uncomfortable time.

Any ideas before I go back to nose strips for good?

JohnBFisher

Re: nose sores - ugly subject

Post by JohnBFisher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

First, let me say "Welcome!" Coming here and trying to regain control of your sleep is a better choice than switching back to nose strips that do nothing for the apnea. The consequences of untreated apnea are quite severe.

It's possible the nasal pillows are not properly sized. I found that I had the same problem before I moved to large nasal pillows.

And there are lots of posts here dealing with problems like this. Of course on the inside of the nose you need to look at using a cream type material to help your nose heal. You might want to switch to a nasal mask while your nose heals.

Mouth breathing ... Just search for Mouth Breathing. Some suggestions include chin strap, using a bite plate to help you keep your jaws together, and even tape to cover your mouth.

And swallowing air ... Search for aerophagia on the forum. there are lots of suggestions, depending on the problems you have.

Anyway, register and continue to hunt for answers. I think you will find the experience here can make a big difference for you.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:25 pm

If you're a mouth breather because you can't breathe well through your nose, nasal pillows are not a good choice. A full face mask would be better. If you can breathe through your nose, you could use a chin strap or tape to keep your mouth shut.

I've had those sores. You could use Neosporin on them during the daytime, and use Ayr Saline Nasal Gel on them when you're using the pillows (Neosporin is thought not to be good for the pillows, whereas the Ayr should be OK).
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 am

I am a mouth breather and use the FFM. I have chronic problems with pressure sores and swelling on the bridge of the nose and am waiting to try a total face mask. In my experience it's difficult to allow something to heal if you keep applying the same device to your nose every night. I have needed to take a full 15 days off CPAP (fought it all the way) to allow my nose to completely heal.
The advice about a nasal mask and chin strap is good, or a ffm if the chin strap doesn't help with your mouth breathing. Let us know what you finally come up with- it can be a somewhat long and frustrating time to find what works for you. Hang in there

Good luck,
Mary Z.

Rebecca R

Post by Rebecca R » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:18 am

cowanbj@aol.com wrote:OK - I have searched, but not really found anything specific for this problem. I am guessing what I am experiencing are pressure sores from my nasal pillows. My pressure from my Everest2 is a 13 and I have tried 4 different mask in the last year. The last few months I have experienced small sores on the inside of my nostrils (one on each inside) and of course if I use my CPAP they get worse and do not heal. I have the added challenge of being a mouth breather and swallowing air which makes for a very uncomfortable time.

Any ideas before I go back to nose strips for good?
Those nose sores aren't fun. Don't let them go for too long. If you can't get them cleared up with over the counter antibiotic ointment, see your doctor. I had one that just wouldn't go away, and I needed a prescription. John could be right about the wrong size of pillows, or maybe they need replacing.

If you want to make a nasal pillow mask work when you are a mouth breather, you might have to work hard to find a solution--chin strap, tape...there are lots of threads with good advice. Do a search.

r

cowanbj@aol.com

Post by cowanbj@aol.com » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I did have to take about 2 and a half weeks off to get the sores to completely heal. The chin strap I have, but it doesn't work for me. It is one I bought from this sight. I am looking a full and I mean FULL face mask as a solution. I will keep checking back and keep searching.

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Yeah, I'm waiting for a Respironics FitLife total face mask to come in at my DME's office.

I need to totally avoid my nose (15 days off CPAP it got so bad). There is also a Total Face Mask by Respironics- a one size fits all. The FitLife comes in small and large.
Good luck.
Mary Z.

uperrsc

Post by uperrsc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

I am just starting my therapy and my nose got red and sore on the bridge the first night. I think I was applying the mask with too much tightness, and have loosened it up the last couple and it is getting a little better. I read on here that a little leakage isn't necessarily horrible, so that has allowed me to not crank it so tight when I sense a leak. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and really am using the treatment to relieve my snoring which was driving my wife INSANE. I have to use the full face variety since I often am congested and have difficulty breathing through my nose.

Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm

Thought I'd pipe in when I saw you were using the Quattro. When I first began it took only 4 days for the bridge of my nose to become a bloody mess. My DME was concerned (as I was) and she worked with me for 2 hours and about 2 dozen different masks to finally come up with one (and only one) that worked and doesn't leak. I can't tell you anything about the sores or the mouth breathing, but the mask I ended up with has completely resolved the dry mouth, sore throat which came from the air escaping through my mouth. It's the one in my sig and on here it's referred to as the Zzz-mask (FFM).
Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask: Drive FF w/ associated headgear
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Software: ResScan 3.10 w/ cable

GaryG

Post by GaryG » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 pm

Mary Z wrote:Yeah, I'm waiting for a Respironics FitLife total face mask to come in at my DME's office.

I need to totally avoid my nose (15 days off CPAP it got so bad). There is also a Total Face Mask by Respironics- a one size fits all. The FitLife comes in small and large.
Good luck.
Mary Z.
Mary, I experimented with the FitLife for a bit, but found I had jaw pain from it and sore teeth. Was able to tolerate a nasal mask, so now I'm using an Activa LT.

However, for nose sores I found that the Sleep Comfort Care Pad works great for me.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sequal ... e-pad.html

Others find Karen's Pad-A-Cheek products help. And Karen is relentless. She is definitely out there to help folks in any way possible.
http://www.padacheek.com/

Good luck, and don't let anyone tell you you have to live with those sores on the nose.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:21 pm

Ruffinit wrote:... [T]he mask I ended up with has completely resolved the dry mouth, sore throat which came from the air escaping through my mouth. It's the one in my sig and on here it's referred to as the Zzz-mask (FFM).
It seems like a total underdog. I'm surprised it's not more popular. You can actually scratch the tip of your nose (sort of) with the mask on because it's all silicone. Just push in - it bounces back. It gives me the best leak line of any mask I've tried. It doesn't have a brace on your forehead and it's easier on the nose bridge. The neoprene straps that come with the mask are crummy, but if you use straps from another mask or other alternatives, the ZZZ is a keeper.

Ruffinit

Post by Ruffinit » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Dreamdiver- Absolutely correct! Besides it's low profile and light. It does seem to be an underdog for some odd reason. Those original straps are terrible.
Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask: Drive FF w/ associated headgear
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
Software: ResScan 3.10 w/ cable

Mary Z

Post by Mary Z » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:09 am

Out of desperation while I wait for a new mask I bought a couple of splints for broken fingers, one metal and one cloth. I cut them in half and did my best to shape one to fit my nose then lined it with moleskin. I was hopeing to disperse the pressure somewhat from the one part of my nose that gets inflamed. I also had a piece of duoderm on my nose which may have been too much padding as my leak was a little more than I like. I tried the metal one last night, but think I'll try the cloth one tonight. I've also thought of getting another liberty hybrid and closing off the nasal pillow part and using one of those things swimmers use to close their nose. LOL! I sure hope I can use the FitLife mask!
Mary Z.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Mary Z wrote:Out of desperation while I wait for a new mask I bought a couple of splints for broken fingers, one metal and one cloth. I cut them in half and did my best to shape one to fit my nose then lined it with moleskin. I was hopeing to disperse the pressure somewhat from the one part of my nose that gets inflamed. I also had a piece of duoderm on my nose which may have been too much padding as my leak was a little more than I like. I tried the metal one last night, but think I'll try the cloth one tonight. I've also thought of getting another liberty hybrid and closing off the nasal pillow part and using one of those things swimmers use to close their nose. LOL! I sure hope I can use the FitLife mask!
Mary Z.
We're rooting for you. I hope it works too.

montana

Post by montana » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:07 pm

I may have to get a Zzz-mask (FFM) I like the scratch nose idea Maybe I can try one out up at the sleep center if they have one.