Do you use both full face and nasal mask ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
uperrsc

Do you use both full face and nasal mask ?

Post by uperrsc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm

I was wondering if there are some folks that have both a full face mask and a nasal mask. I just started therapy and use a full face since I am sometimes congested. Also, if you do, I assume that pressure setting is the same for either type mask? All questions I should have asked my DME or sleep doctor, but until I started therapy I guess I never thought about them. Thanks in advance.

plr66

Re: Do you use both full face and nasal mask ?

Post by plr66 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

Well, possibly off the mark from what you asked, but I alternate between a nasal pillow mask and a FFM. It has been my experience that I need a full point higher pressure for similar effectiveness with the FFM's (though my results are still not as great with the FFM's as with nasal pillows and mouth tape). I did a poll some time ago about this, and people's experiences vary. So you really do need to examine your data over time re your leak rate and AHI to determine whether you have different results with the two mask types. It's not something you can just guess about from what others have found.
DeVilbiss IntelliPap Std Plus with Smartflex; Transcend miniCPAP & Everest2 w/humidifier & batt for travel. UltraMirage FFM; PadACheeks; PaPillow. Using straight CPAP at 13.0/passover humidifier. AHI consistently < 1.5. Began CPAP 9/4/08.

uperrsc

Re: Do you use both full face and nasal mask ?

Post by uperrsc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Thanks. That is exactly what I was wondering. I sort of wish my sleep study would have included both types of masks, but once i told them I am congested sometimes they just chose the full face type, and never even asked me anything. Oh well.